tireman9

Tire Inflation

tireman9   

Welcome to any new FMCA members. If you have questions on tires you should check out the TIRE thread in the Technical area.

Until then here are the general recommendations

I do not see posts with actual side to side measured loads on each tire.
Single axle trailers should:

1. Confirm actual load on each tire
2. Calculate 115% of the heavier end
3. Check Load & inflation tables using the 115% number to learn the MINIMUM allowable inflation
4. Add 10% to that inflation number and use this new number for your goal Cold Inflation psi

Multi-axle trailers should:
1. Confirm actual loads for each tire
2. Calculate 115% of the heavier end
3. Check Load & inflation tables using the 115% number to learn the MINIMUM allowable inflation
4. Add 10% to that inflation number and use this new number for your goal Cold Inflation psi
5. If you want to lower the potential for a belt separation due to the multi-axle Interply Shear increase your CIP to the tire sidewall pressure.

This link is a Google search on Interply Shear if you want to learn more.

RayIN   

Carlisle Tire's warranty used to state "tires must be inflated to sidewall stated pressure or warranty is void"; don't know about now though.

How in the world do they determine if the tires are inflated to sidewall pressure. Is there a little gremlin with a report card in each tire. Some manufactures just never get out of the box.

FIVE   
20 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

How in the world do they determine if the tires are inflated to sidewall pressure. Is there a little gremlin with a report card in each tire. Some manufactures just never get out of the box.

Their logic would be that if the tire had been inflated to the sidewall pressure noted on the outside of the tire, the tire wouldn't have blown out with the low mileage and nearly new manufacture date on it:D.

Unless it was a bad tire, had been run flat previously, and most likely a bunch of other possibilities.  At the time of a blow out there is no way they would know other than by assumption.

Yes, most probably operator error, but only assumptions.

manholt   

It's always operator error, unless you can prove differently! :huh: & then it's anything else error, but never the manufacturer...:blink::angry:

mailman   

Tire and rim conflict and air pressure .

I have a Winnebago Itasca Cambria Class C 3 slides, 32 feet.

From the factory it had installed ALCOA MAGS Max air pressure 80lbs cold.

Tires Michelin LT 225/75R16 tire pressure 80 lbs cold.

Place Card on door is 80 lbs rear duals     75 lbs front.

Weight on tires unknown.

But, am I thinking just put eighty in back 75 front and forget about weight.

If anything maybe take weight out of vehicle.

See class C motor home maybe we can not apply this tread to??????????????

Thanks for reading 

Tim

manholt   

Tim.

It don't matter what you have.  Class C, B, A, Fifth Wheel or Tow behind.  They all matter!  You need to get your coach weight, with all stuff you normally carry, including fuel and water. :)

wolfe10   

Yes, the door placard is based on each axle being loaded to GAWR.  That is NOT an assumption you want your life riding on.  And, a LONG Class C is one of the more prone to being overloaded, so weighing is even more important.

mailman   

Please note, The factory installed ALCOA rims are stamped Max pressure 80 lbs.

The Michelin load range "E" tires are stamped Max pressure 80 lbs.

So if I weigh the camper, check tire pressure via the way explain in  the first part

of this post at each wheel , i have to take weight away because I can NOT be above 

80 lbs at the tire. To make matters worst , I tow a car at about 4000 lbs. 

SO, IF NOT TO WORRY, the answer is to buy a Class "A".  OR take your bodies and food

and clothes and leave all the rest in the garage. I just do not understand, you can't do four

wheel weight check do pressure check via mention way at the start.  Most class C are

over weight to start by design. I have Firestone Air  bags at the rear and move weight forward

with air in them bags. Of course than comes the problem with Toe at the front end.

So, I think we will weigh and clean out camper.  Because there is no other way.

Thank everybody two cents and I hope this post will make it clear enough the problem is.

Mailman retired 40 years of service

Vietnam vet disabled.

Winnebago Class C 32 ft. Cambria  2014

Time for some fire side chat at the fire ring.

Tim

t