mailman

Best way to go East-West across USA

Question

Thanks for reading.

Have already taken 1-70 Ohio to Iowa in the past.  I will not subject

my Motor Home to that road again. Has anyone used 1-40 to go east-west

from Nashville Tenn to Albuquerque NM .  Any status info we all should be 

known  before we set up a trip to used 1-40. Detours, road concerns etc.

Tim the Mailman

Winnebago Class C 32 ft

Tow car HHR Chevy 2011.

10 answers to this question

We have taken it from Amarillo area. A few bumps here or there but okay. It is 10 degrees cooler than I-10 or I-20.  As you get to Kingman, AZ and points west until the Coast it will be hot, I mean it will be hot, this time of year. 

Tim, this time of the year most roads have some sort of construction going on since they have good weather. I-40 is a good road through most of Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico. 

Going West now will let you know why the bicycle race in Wichita Falls Texas is known as the Hotter Than **** bike ride.

Herman 

I have driven I40 from start to finish several times since the mid 70s and there seems to always be bad spots.  I think I have been on all the coast to coast roads and some time in my 400K miles touring the country.  All roads have rough spots and in the summer its hot in the southwest.  I try to go to cooler places when its hot at home.  I'm in Hawaii now, it was 117 when I left Lk Havasu City.

3 hours ago, mailman said:

Has anyone used 1-40 to go east-west

from Nashville Tenn to Albuquerque NM

Tim, made this trip last summer. Wasn't to bad, coach A/C (both roof tops) kept us comfortable. We stopped in Santa Rosa NM for two days, it was really hot there. 

Back in 08 we went from PA to CA I-81 to I-40 and all the way to CA. It wasn't terrible until the Mohave desert. We stopped for lunch and it was 118, that was hot! When I opened the door on the coach it felt like I opened to oven door at home, but without the good smell of something cooking.

Coast to Coast, does not begin or end in Amarillo, TX.! :wacko:  Between now and mid October, I would not do it...

11 hours ago, mailman said:

Thanks for reading.

Tim the Mailman

Winnebago Class C 32 ft

Tow car HHR Chevy 2011.

Tell me a road that doesn't have rough areas and areas under construction. I drove I-40 from Amarillo to ABQ about 3 weeks ago. I didn't have any big problems. Today I drove I-94 from Bismarck to Fargo. Nice road but 20+ miles of construction. Not a problem though.

When the road gets rough slow down and enjoy the view.

Bill

8 hours ago, jleamont said:

We stopped for lunch and it was 118, that was hot! When I opened the door on the coach it felt like I opened to oven door at home, but without the good smell of something cooking.

I haven't seen it quite that hot but a few years ago we were in Phoenix visiting my sister and it was 113 for 3 days. The weather forecast did me in. The forecast for Phoenix was more of the same and hotter. The forecast at The Grand Canyon was 74. We left for the canyon the next day.:P

Bill

Is this by chance Tim the mail man who calls 104.5 the zone on a regular basis ? If it is, I want you to know that I enjoy your take on the Nashville sports world. Anyway, we have a daughter  we visit regularly who lives in Wilmington North Carolina, which is the East Coast terminus for I 40,  and we enjoyed a Western trip early this summer where we used I 40 from Kingman back to Nashville, so In the past few months I've traveled most of the highway. It's pretty irritating between Knoxville and Little Rock because only the cities have more than 2 lanes in each direction. I guess I should say it used to be irritating before I retired, moved to the right lane, slowed down and set the cruise control on 65.  I'm a lot better at going with the flow than I used to be. There wasn't a lot of construction along the length of the highway from here to Albuquerque when we went through in early June.  There was some road work going through Oklahoma City but it didn't really slow us down very much. If Tucamcari NM happens to be a stopping spot, you should try some Mexican food at Del's Restaurant on Rte.66. Delicious!

Mr Mailman:

My husband and I have traveled I-40 several times each way, from Memphis to Albuquerque.  During the summer, heat is worst than constructions, just take it easy and go with the flow.  There are miles and miles of boring cornfields while crossing Kansas on I-40 or I-70; just be patient and enjoy the trip.  The beauty of traveling an RV is that you don't have to plan much, you stop when you are tired and enjoy the scenery.

We start after Labor Day, going North on I-75, planning on taking East to West on the Canada side.  Our second option is I-94 from MN to Billings, MN and I-25 to CO.  Bill said it has 20+ miles of construction, but surely it wont matter since it will be much cooler that mid/central USA, so okay!. 

Safe travels!

Jocelynn

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power

Oscar E. Power

Gainesville Fl

Travelling on a 28' Concord/Coachmen w/tow

On 8/19/2019 at 9:55 AM, mailman said:

Thanks for reading.

Tim the Mailman

Winnebago Class C 32 ft

Tow car HHR Chevy 2011.

Earlier this month we got on I-40 at Santa Rosa (NM) and came east all the way to Fort Smith (AR) before heading north on I-49.  We didn't feel like paying the toll for 5 axles all through Oklahoma on I-44.  Even though the pavement wasn't perfect it was pretty good by today's standards.  Not much traffic and no really large/busy cities to go through.  Actually very little construction for the time we were on it.

All of I-70 is horrible.  We came out of the Denver area earlier this year across the mountains and I thought the potholes would tear our coach apart.  Until that entire stretch of interstate is redone we will never use it again.