akadeadeye

Inside Step Issue

Our inside step on our motorhome won't elevate.  I lifted the step manually and looked underneath the step and saw that the "piston" had become disconnected from the housing at the step wall.  I found four tiny screws loose.  But I couldn't get the "piston" extended in order to see if I can fasten it back.  How do you release this piston, or is it fried?

Don

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Don,

This may be a tough one. Not too many of us have the lift you have in your coach. Is there anything on the lifts web site that may help?

Herman

Sorry Don, I guess I don't understand.

Do you mean your outside step that go out and in with the opening and closing of the door? If so is it a Kwikee Single or Double step?

Or do you mean the Step Cover that is used to cover the step well when traveling?

Sorry if I am confused.

Herman

I think I understand what you're talking about - any chance you can post a photo or two of the situation so we can better visualize it?

Thanks for the picture. I will have to bow out of this one, I have no knowledge on your step cover. I hope someone on the Forum has a history with it and can help.

Good Luck,

Herman

Don the electric motor will/should run regardless if the cylinder is connected on either end. First thing to do is as desertdeals requested, test the  12V motor for proper operation. If it runs you are left with mechanical breakdown-re' the loose screws you found.

28 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Looks to me the screws fell out of the motor and it separated from the gear box

This does appear to be the case, try pushing the switch to the cover position, if the motor is working, the motor should move closer to the proper location so that the screws can be reinserted. There is probably a side panel that can be removed to gain access to the area that needs repair.

I would disconnect the whole cylinder assemble and bench test it before reinstalling.  Use new screws with loctite if they are not broken off.   

12 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

Our inside step on our motorhome won't elevate.  I lifted the step manually and looked underneath the step and saw that the "piston" had become disconnected from the housing at the step wall.  I found four tiny screws loose.  But I couldn't get the "piston" extended in order to see if I can fasten it back.  How do you release this piston, or is it fried?

Don

Don, The setup looks like one used to position the older receiver dish. As the steps are extended the link gets longer, lowering the steps.

In that case the long black item under the motor is a gear driven gear link, the motor spins and the end connected to the steps should move closer to the end connected to the inside wall where the motor was connected. 

The motor appears to have pulled away from the end plate and there are 4 to 5 screw holes that line up with the ones in the motor when the motor is orientated properly. The condition of the screws and the end plate have probably been damaged as things loosened up.

Good luck  Rich.

I just had this happen to me. With the actuator loose and separated from the drive motor you should be able to manually lift the step cover. I just pulled mine up and used a block of wood to hold it there so I could unbolt the actuator piston from the step cover (the bolt and nut at the front right of your photo). Mine was repairable once I got access, two of the four bolts just worked loose and then the other two broke off (presumably from the stress of misalignment). 

When the two parts separated it also ripped some wiring from inside the case (also repairable) if you can solder.  Checking the voltage is a good idea but based on the photo it is likely still getting power to the motor portion of the assembly. If it is like mine, it was a mechanical failure followed by minor wiring damage when it separated.