fagnaml

Engine Temperature Fluctuation - Concern or Not?

Brett --

FCCC told me late yesterday that I have a Horton fan clutch part # 9908044.  That clutch per the Horton website is a VMaster Directly Controlled clutch that is controlled by the engine control module (ECM as FCCC called it).    Here  are links to info about this type of fan clutch:

Fan Clutch details --> https://catalog.hortonww.com/part-details.html?service_no=9904088&measurementSystem=imperial

Fan Clutch brochure --> https://www.hortonww.com/assets/documents/horton-productsheet-22837-c-vs-directly-controlled.pdf

The brochure has verbiage and charts that describe quite well my experience the last two weekends driving to/from LSU  i.e. no change in engine speed (1800 RPM at 65 mph driving speed) while the fan speed increased / decreased to hold engine temperature in a 190 - 210 F range.  

Per the Horton website, this type of variable speed clutch has been available for use for motorhomes with ISB and ISL engines with rear cooling since 2007.    It would be interesting to learn if other forum members have this type of Horton fan clutch.  

This coming weekend I still will do a more thorough look at my charge air cooler to assure it is clean.

Look at the "reaction time" (which I am seeing as much longer than the quick reaction time of many of the side radiator hydraulic controls) and compare with what you see for coolant temperature change.

I have found to my surprise that not a lot of people working at diesel oriented mechanic shops do not have a clue what a CAC is, including the service writer. Therefore it is no surprise that one might get a bad diagnosis on whether it is clean or not.