u856787

Short-Bed Trucks and Slider Hitches

I'm new to RVing and recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 with a 6.5' bed and the factory prep for 5th wheel towing.  We are looking at Forest River 5th wheels in the 32' range.  My question concerns a stationary versus a sliding hitch.  I've read newer 5th wheels are designed to pull with a short-bed truck without a slider (higher clearances) but I've also read horror stories of jack-knifed trailers with dented truck sides and/or broken windows.  Is the extra expense of the sliding hitch really necessary?

U856787, Welcome to the FMCA Forums!

I do not recall ever seeing a short bed without a sliding hitch.

Personally I’d go with the slider, the risk isn’t worth the added cost. First mishap you will wish you spent that money.

Staying in a park a time back and the person next to us had a 5er with short bed and slider. He had a couple spare tires leaning against the back of the cab. Asked best way to get out of park. I told him to turn right out of the spot and go to the turn-around then back this way and out. It was to sharp of a turn to go left and out the park.

He didn't listen. I watched him pick up glass from his back window for about 30 minutes.

Always use the slider.

I have seen a number of short bed trucks with broken windows or dented cabs and a slider hitch.  The driver either forgot to slide it or was lazy and thought he could get by with out sliding it to the rear.  Long bed trucks are made for a reason.

Ken

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, u856787 said:

I'm new to RVing and recently purchased a 2018 RAM 2500 with a 6.5' bed and the factory prep for 5th wheel towing.  We are looking at Forest River 5th wheels in the 32' range.  My question concerns a stationary versus a sliding hitch.  I've read newer 5th wheels are designed to pull with a short-bed truck without a slider (higher clearances) but I've also read horror stories of jack-knifed trailers with dented truck sides and/or broken windows.  Is the extra expense of the sliding hitch really necessary?

The answer to your question is.....Yes