Jump to content
huffypuff

Our New Holiday Adventures

Recommended Posts

On 5/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, FIVE said:

-  I normally use the electric preheat that came with the coach and do not use the AH for engine preheat.

-  Normal driving will heat the coach water, none of the AH items need to be turned on.  Driving will also provide coach heat by just activating the coach thermostat and call for heat. 

-  Most of us have AH 450 or 400 models.  If the coach heat is running, and hot water is turned on, the coach heat will stop until the demand for hot water has stopped.  These two AHs have single heating elements.  The AH 650, has two elements and you can have both coach heat and hot water at the same time.  

-  Wayne,  $350 seems a bit high.  Lloyd DeGerald, one of the AH gurus, goes to our AC rallies and does the full service, with parts, for $200.

 

I checked like I said I would and found I can set the temperature with the Aquahot  on without electric or diesel and it should work for both hot water and heat while driving.  If I don't need the heat on should I still have hot water?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Puff, yes, let me explain the operation; 

The boiler unit is heated via the engine cooling system loop through the pre-heat pump (I will get to this later) or electric and or Diesel. If interior heat is not desired the zone pumps (inside the AH unit) will not be on and the therefore no boiler fluid will be circulated through out the heat registers in the cabin area, heat is contained to the AH unit. Should you open a faucet on hot, water will circulate through the hot boiler, absorb heat and send it to the faucet as hot water. 

The engine pre-heat has a separate pump (mentioned above)and is on the same loop that heats the boiler via engine coolant. It just works in reverse if the engine was cold and you flip the switch for desired pre-heating, the boiler would warm up to full temperature and the pump would circulate coolant back through the engine to warm it up. 

Picture a tank with boiler fluid and separate tubes running throughout it that are sealed off to their own circuit. One is engine coolant, another is a water loop (for hot water) and the heat register loop which actually circulates the fluid within the boiler up to the cabin into the registers and back to the boiler for re-heating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep!  Sounds difficult, but once you get the picture in your mind, quite simple!  Now that I have had all 3 (AH, Vabasco & Oasis) I prefer Oasis!

They are all good. However the Oasis will give us hot showers at a lower ambient temp.  Joe had to fabricate a gas pre heat system for his AH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manholt said:

However the Oasis will give us hot showers at a lower ambient temp

Correct, Aquahot will only CONTINUOUSLY heat the water 55 degrees above its input temperature. I believe Oasis was 85 degrees, which is a noticeable difference.

My Aquahot only supplies the sinks with hot water and hydronic heating throughout the coach. My tankless water heater supplies the shower only, I have a valve installed should there be a problem, I can redirect the shower back through the Aquahot unit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked up the manual and got some answers.

The Aqua-Hot System is powered by TribridHot™ technology and uses one or a combination of the following sources:

1. The 120 Volt-AC Electric Element: When plugged into shore power, the electric element lets you use the power you are already paying for to provide heat and meet your light duty hot water needs.

2. The Diesel Burner: This is the Aqua-Hot’s most powerful heat source and provides all of heating and hot water needs in cold temperatures or dry camping.

3. The Vehicle’s Engine: When driving or idling, the engines surplus heat is transferred to the Aqua-Hot providing interior heat and limited hot water without burning any other fuel.

Tempering Valve

The Tempering Valve for the Aqua-Hot mixes the heated domestic water from the boiler tank with cold domestic water at the present ratio to reduce the risk of scalding. This valve is located in the back of the Aqua-Hot unit. Reference page 7 (part #19). To locate the Tempering Valve, remove the access cover page 7 (part #4) and then the thermostat access cover located above the burner. Reference page 7 (part # 19). The pink paint witness mark verifies that the Aqua-Hot is set at the correct factory setting and did not get tampered with during shipping or installation. Verify that the Tempering Valve is set at the proper temperature by using a digital thermometer at one of the hot water faucets. The water temperature should range between 115°F to 123°F. If the correct temperature cannot be set, please contact Aqua-Hot Heating Systems Technical Support Department at 1-800-685-4298 for additional assistance or visit our web site at www.aquahot.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for anyone else who comes along, we have answered all poss questions on AH and Oasis!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, manholt said:

Well, for anyone else who comes along, we have answered all poss questions on AH and Oasis!

 

I have never had an AH or Oasis heating system, but I do have a question.  What is so complicated about the systems that require the annual maintenance to be performed by the factory authorizes technicians.  

I'm one of those guys that I prefers do perform my own repairs and maintenance.  I'm fortunate to have served an apprenticeship in the craft trades that operate and maintain electrical generating facilities, primarily in Hydroelectric projects, however in my early years I did work in gas turbine, steam  turbine and diesel plants that were fueled by either natural gas, crude oil or distillate fuels.

I expect that my next coach will have an AH or Oasis and that I will be performing my own maintenance and repairs.  I'm confident that with my experience with pressures vessels, boilers and controls that I can perform the tasks required to  maintain and repair these system.

Please enlighten me if I'm missing something.

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, F433921 said:

Please enlighten me if I'm missing something.

It is not that hard if you have any experience doing maintenance and using tools. Lots of videos on Youtube.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Service don't look hard at all.  You can find the manuals here for all models.  

Its not. The most difficult part is access and that all depends on how much coach is built around the unit, some manufactures do not realize you need to access certain items to maintain and repair. 

Manuals can be found here;

http://www.aquahot.com/library.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Its not. The most difficult part is access and that all depends on how much coach is built around the unit, some manufactures do not realize you need to access certain items to maintain and repair. 

Manuals can be found here;

http://www.aquahot.com/library.aspx

Ha I meant to post the same link.  That's what happens when you post before coffee.  Lucky for me they put the Aquahot next to the edge of the bay with the cord reel and electronic for both. easy service except for the diesel filter and antifreeze fluid reservoir is up high.    The cable for tv is in there too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've performed the required annual maintenance on my Oasis including replacing the summer loop pump. The summer loop pump is accessed from the back side but easily gotten to from the opposite side basement door. Joe, Oasis oriented the unit so all the annual maintenance is performed simply be removing the front panel. A friends AH is serviced from side panel and not easily accesable. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim, mine has the side and front both come off in one piece. Not sure how the newer ones are. I have a door in my basement that slides or lifts out for access. Monaco made access pretty darn convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On this coach, it's like Jim S. Linda and I both took a look & she said she would do it...she bends, I don't, but I would have no problem in front and the reservoir is mounted in back, like Bill's!

Compared to the AH in the Tradition PIA, this Oasis is easy!

F 433921, you should have no problem doing it yourself !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my! My 450D is a nightmare to get to. Bay is just wide enough to house the AH Cabinet.  Left side has the inputs. Right side has the panel to access the burner and nozzle. I'm not a contortionis so accessing the burner plenum and nozzle is a no go for me. I've seen it down twice and it is all by feel.

Now the left side is a different story, but a difficult one.  Had water falling underneath the MH. Found out it was the input hose going into the Aqua Hot. Called the guru and he said that the fittings are just like water hose fitting, plastic and only need to be finger tight.

The fittings as you look at the left side, IF YOU COULD LOOK AT IT, are in the bottom left.  To get to the fitting you have to go in through the pull-out compartment but instead of pulling it out you push it all the way out the other way.  Then there is a SQUARE cut out about 2/3rds of the way up from the bay floor and about 15 inches right of where the fittings are. I could get my fingers on the fittings by my arthritis would not let me tighten them. My neighbor, helicopter pilot, was out one day and I asked if he could reach in and tighten them. He could and he did.

The very next time have that situation there is going to be another cutout in that compartment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think AC took the drawings from WB!  Hope WB does not interfere with Newmar design! 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manholt said:

I think AC took the drawings from WB!  Hope WB does not interfere with Newmar design! 😡

I'm with you on that, I think Entegra copy lots from Newmar including their confort drive. I think Entegra is calling it E-Z Steer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I found out, if you need warranty service, AquaHot will cover your unit ONLY if the required service was done by an Authorized service shop. I had just serviced our unit and found a leak at the fuel solenoid. Had to bring it to an Authorized dealer for repair and because I had serviced it myself, AquaHot insisted that the dealer do it again before they covered the unit.🤨

the dealer took three times to finally find and make the correct repair, ignoring my diagnosis.......which turned out to be correct. After three 80 mile round trips and the extra service charge, I would have been better off doing the whole thing myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, campcop said:

As I found out, if you need warranty service, AquaHot will cover your unit ONLY if the required service was done by an Authorized service shop. I had just serviced our unit and found a leak at the fuel solenoid. Had to bring it to an Authorized dealer for repair and because I had serviced it myself, AquaHot insisted that the dealer do it again before they covered the unit.🤨

the dealer took three times to finally find and make the correct repair, ignoring my diagnosis.......which turned out to be correct. After three 80 mile round trips and the extra service charge, I would have been better off doing the whole thing myself.

Your experience it the reason I perform my own maintenance and repairs.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, F433921 said:

I have never had an AH or Oasis heating system, but I do have a question.  What is so complicated about the systems that require the annual maintenance to be performed by the factory authorizes technicians.  

I'm one of those guys that I prefers do perform my own repairs and maintenance.  I'm fortunate to have served an apprenticeship in the craft trades that operate and maintain electrical generating facilities, primarily in Hydroelectric projects, however in my early years I did work in gas turbine, steam  turbine and diesel plants that were fueled by either natural gas, crude oil or distillate fuels.

I expect that my next coach will have an AH or Oasis and that I will be performing my own maintenance and repairs.  I'm confident that with my experience with pressures vessels, boilers and controls that I can perform the tasks required to  maintain and repair these system.

Please enlighten me if I'm missing something.

Jim

If the RV is still covered by the factory warranty, usually only a trained technician is authorized to perform annual service the units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...