JeffJohnson

FMCA Budget & Expenses

FMCA is in a cost bind and I thought we might be able to make money saving, or revenue generating suggestions and ideas:

For example, in this day and age why doesn't FMCA only publish the Family RVing magazine on-line and eliminate the hard copy version that are mailed to members.  I read the magazine on-line and then I get the hard copy in the mail.  It will also motivate more folks to go on-line.

Fine for you but I like my hard copy in the mail. One of the main reasons I joined in the first place. 

You can opt out of receiving hard copy. I looked on the web site but didn’t find where you could opt out. You may have to call Membership Services, 513-387-5319 to request it. 

Eliminating the hard copy does not eliminate the FMCA Staff to produce the digital version. I am not suggesting that be done, because the magazine is valuable to communicate to all members.

I receive both ways, because I use the hard copy as a recruiting tool.

Ian, that was my reason in  1967...I was given a First Issue and a July 67' issue!  We still got them!  Since Linda (my new wife) is a member of both FMCA and Escapees,  we use the extra copies to leave in Laundry rooms at RV Parks, all over North America.  We also take out what we might need in the future, 2 binders, one for Tech Talk & one for interesting places to see...that's from the extra copy!  

Since we traded in both of our DP's, for one and got married, Linda is retiring her F# and Escapees, we will travel on mine.  We will still do  the above!

As Ross said, there is no saving on Staff, either way!  FMCA is non profit, FMC is for profit. For most, it's confusing! :blink:

Wayne, too true!  

I get the hard copy and read it cover to cover within a few days, then store all of them. I do not read it on the internet, DW complains I spend waay to much time on the computer anyway. BTW, the FMCA magazine has been losing advertisers for some time now, the pandemic made it worse.

18 hours ago, manholt said:

We use the extra copies to leave in Laundry rooms at RV Parks, all over North America.  We also take out what we might need in the future, 2 binders, one for Tech Talk & one for interesting places to see.

Carl, as well as sharing copies with neighbors we meet in RV Parks, we do exactly the same as you.

they closed the forum for a while, I thought that is what I pay a yearly fee for, to keep up and to ask questions to people who might have a answer for info or problems I might have, at least that is why I joined 

hammer55,

Thank you for staying. The Forum was indeed put on pause for a few day do to some personal issues. But we are up and going again.I am now one of the Monitors along with Joe Leamont and if you have any questions please feel free to PM either of us anytime.

Again glad you didn't leave.

Herman

On 6/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, rossboyer said:

You can opt out of receiving hard copy. I looked on the web site but didn’t find where you could opt out. You may have to call Membership Services, 513-387-5319 to request it. 

Eliminating the hard copy does not eliminate the FMCA Staff to produce the digital version. I am not suggesting that be done, because the magazine is valuable to communicate to all members.

I receive both ways, because I use the hard copy as a recruiting tool.

Ross is spot on. The magazine department is down to 5 employees, which is our bare minimum for the magazine to be produced as we currently know it. Whether digital or print, those 5 employees will be needed. 

You would save quite a bit of money on printing and postage going digitally. But my gut is you would lose those savings in lost advertising revenue. A digital magazine would not command the same ad dollars.

I agree Smithy.  I read all the adds in my hard copy separate from reading articles, there are some very useful things to remember. Like the guy on a different forum asking about covered MH storage in Florida; I told him where I found the add while typing the details of the storage area.

Edited by RayIN

I use the FMCA hard copy as a diversion from the food(?) stuff that is presented to me at the breakfast table. 

And then sometimes the hard copy ends up in the room where the food(?) stuff leaves my body.

Richard