thomasp

Freightliner Exhaust Diffuser

Be aware that the Freightliner exhaust diffuser can come loose and fall off. $380 later, we now check that the diffuser has not loosened up before we travel. We have a 2009 Winnebago Journey and learned the hard way that this part is not welded on but is clamped on with two nuts and not covered under warranty or on the checklist of things to watch. Check those nuts! :unsure:

Ultraglide,

That is the last pipe that exit from the exhaust pipe to keep exhaust from hitting the coach body.

My exhaust tip is a piece of stainless steel about 16" long, can't imagine that costing $150 or more :)

I polished it, looks like chrome..

My exhaust tip is a piece of stainless steel about 16" long, can't imagine that costing $150 or more :)

I polished it, looks like chrome..

Believe it. A replacement tip for my 2008 Phaeton was over $300 from Freightliner. They replaced it under warranty because the original diffuser rusted so badly. Had to pay an hour's labor to get it installed. <_<

I changed out my exhaust diffuser on my 2010 Winne Journey Express.  It was a rusty ugly.  I could not find a direct replacement anywhere, so I ordered a stainless 12" turn down tip.  After a few thousand miles, the EGR failed and I got the ole' "check engine light".   Maybe there is some relevance to the shape and size of the tip (diffuser) and the new EPA exhaust configuration critical to the regeneration system. ??  Anyone have similar experience?

Elee,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While it is unlikely the two are related, it would be a question for either Cummins (with your engine serial number) and/or Freightliner (with your VIN):

Cummins 800 343-7357

Freightliner 800 385-4357

Elee, Welcome to the Forum!

Your coach has the 6.7L engine equipped with the DEF system. Personally thinking it is more related to the DEF system then the diffuser if it has the same ID as the OEM part.

Do you have the code(s) that set the Check engine light. 

Rich.

The only thing that could possibly cause a problem is if there was a sensor in that diffuser that isn't in the aftermarket one. I have never seen one but I would do what Brett said and call and talk to the source.

Happy New Year.:D

Bill