rhart

Fire In The House...

So you are sound asleep in the rear bed. Fire breaks out in the galley. (Between you and the only door.) I'm curious what the escape plan shoud be. Do "they" make one of the windows so it can be readily kicked out? Just curious. For obvious reason.

One of my bedroom windows as well as the bathroom window are egress style. Merely lift the red handles and the window swings out to allow escape. I'm pretty sure all RV's (or at least class A's) are required to have these.

Ditto: Journey 34' rear bedroom has egress style window with red handles to swing out. Would love to find a rope ladder to throw out, at 73 don't think I would want to bail out without a ladder of some sort. Anyone have any suggestions?

One good turn deserves another. Home Depot has emergency ladders in a box. Probably not rope but if you have to use it you may not worry about some scratches.

One good turn deserves another. Home Depot has emergency ladders in a box. Probably not rope but if you have to use it you may not worry about some scratches.

Good point! However, I remember reading somewhere about an RVer who bought a ladder that is just long enough to lean against the outside wall just under the window. He puts it out whenever he stops for the night then puts it away the next morning. Don't remember the details but it was probably on this forum a couple of months ago or maybe the iRV2 forum. I follow both. I really like the new 2016 Dutch Stars with the rear baths. They have egress doors in the bathroom that go from floor nearly to the ceiling. Since they start at the floor, they leave a smaller drop to the ground. Also easier to jump through a doorway than a window.

I know that most of the egress windows are hinged at the top and some are heavy. Several posters have suggested making a prop to hold the window open and keep it near the window in case of fire.

I am working on another good aid in getting out over the window sill. I have a piece of 6" pvc pipe and am going to cut it so it will fit over the window sill. This will give a smooth surface to slide over rather than the window sill. I am trying to come up with a prop to hold the window open. I will post pictures when I get it done.

OP you need to go find your exits NOW and make sure you can open them. When your back side is getting hot is not when you want to try opening to open the escape window for the first time.

Bill

I went to the seminars presented by Mac the Fire Guy at the FMCA rally in Madison. The demonstration of egress through the emergency window was priceless. If you can't attend one of his seminars, you can go to macthefireguy.com. I think everyone should see this!

For a window prop, I found precut two-foot sections of half-inch PVC pipe at Home Depot (less than two bucks!) and fitted one with an appropriately-sized rubber leg tip at each end, then mounted it with a couple of spring loaded broomstick holders right near the exit window. Also upgraded our fire extinguishers to the foam type Mac recommends, and replaced our out-of-date smoke and CO detectors. Hope we never need to use any of this stuff, but now it's there just in case.

FYI to everyone, exercise your emergency windows quit often. They become stuck and are hard to open. Be sure to have a good stable stick, board or something to prop open the window if you need to use it.

We all pray that you will never have to use it.

Herman

All wonderful ideas, in a perfect world! I doubt you will go thru all the steps in panic mod. I have seen the film and been to the seminar and yes it gives you plenty of ideas. So does movies from Hollywood!

In reality, I'm 6 foot 8 inches tall at 220 pounds and going on 73 years old. I can't get my body to do now, what was easy 50 years ago!!! I have, like you, an escape window in the rear bedroom, side bath and living room. Bath room is the only one with out wood trim and a pretty valance! Go figure....

I never lock my front door, when I'm in coach and it may not be a perfect escape in the event of fire, but it beats any of the above! My coach has no Propane, so it has to be an Electric short to start a fire!

Bear in mind, that the only way a window might work for you, is that you and whoever you are with, are going to have to practice over and over throwing out ladder, propping up window and literary exit!!! Works fine in a real house, but?

Carl

We were next to a motor home that went up in flames several years ago. Both individuals were older adults, not very agile and not fit and trim. They both came out the window, scratched and bruised but alive! The front door was not an option as the fire started in the front of the coach. They had no ladder and also had no other choice than to bail out the bedroom window. When you have to do it, you will! The prop to hold the window is probably a very good idea, the ladder would be nice but when it comes to getting out, anything is better than the alternative. Unfortunately, they had pets, cat and dog. Both were lost in the fire.

Cause of the fire was undetermined at the time we left the park. It started in the front in a gas coach, front engine. Something in the engine compartment seemed to have been the cause. Their propane tank was not involved in the fire, Everything above the floor was burned, tires went but the propane tank didn't. From initial smoke to fully involved happened within just a few minutes. I never heard a smoke alarm go off. Check yours today!

My common sense tells me that the window prop concept while nice on paper is probably not practical. First you have to waste valuable seconds finding it. Another second to two placing it. How do you keep from bumping it on bailout? When flames and smoke are close you will easily squirm through even a heavy window. You don't need to get clobbered by a heavy window half way out. Better to slide through a window that will move up and down with your body.

If I not mistaking the escape windows are design to drop off when lifted high enough. When I worked fleet we had to replace a few of those windows because seniors played with the handles while the bus was in motion. Yes those seniors never grew up and somehow it became the shops fault and problem.

Tom, sorry you had to see that. Never a pretty sight!

Still, I don't have a front engine and no gas. DP and it takes more effort to light than gas. If for some reason I have an engine fire when asleep I will still have to exit via front door!

That is what I practice.