rascalrootie

Michelin XZA3 VS Toyo M177

We need to replace six 8 year old Michelin XZA3 275/80R 22.5 H. Even with the FMCA discount these are about $1400 more than Toyo M177 295/75R 22.5 H.

Our question is: are the Toyo 295/75R 22.5H exactly the same tire size as the Michelin 275/80R 22.5H.

We have been assured by tire dealers that the Michelin and Toyo are identical sizes.

We are particularly concerned about the spacing between rear duals.

We will be going to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC in mid May for service and can arrange to have them changed while we are there.

After that we will be leaving on a coast to coast tour and want to be positive we have replaced with the correct size tire.

How can they say they are the same...two of the three numbers for the tires are different? Where's Tireman9, he can explain it.

We need to replace six 8 year old Michelin XZA3 275/80R 22.5 H. Even with the FMCA discount these are about $1400 more than Toyo M177 295/75R 22.5 H.

Our question is: are the Toyo 295/75R 22.5H exactly the same tire size as the Michelin 275/80R 22.5H.

We have been assured by tire dealers that the Michelin and Toyo are identical sizes.

We are particularly concerned about the spacing between rear duals.

We will be going to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC in mid May for service and can arrange to have them changed while we are there.

After that we will be leaving on a coast to coast tour and want to be positive we have replaced with the correct size tire.

Welcome to the forum.

They look pretty close to me They are only 0.78inch wider I would run them, just make sure the load range is what you need.

Use this site to do your own comparison: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Bill

IMO if I ran into a tire dealer that told me a 275/80R 22.5 was "exactly the same size" as a 295/75R 22.5 I would be shopping for a more knowledgeable tire dealer.

Beside the obvious difference in over-all width a more critical dimension is the "Minimum dual spacing" which is controlled by your wheel offset. This dimension is critical to avoid tire sidewalls contacting each other which can lead to tire failure.

The 295 has a MDS of 13.19" and the 275 has a MDS of 12.24

Also the 275 is only approved for 7.50 or 8.25" wide rims while the 295 is only approved for 8.25 or 9.0 wide rims. Do you know what you have for either MDS or rim width?

Now the tire load capacity at any specific inflation for a 275 and 295 is the same for most tire companies but I would be very concerned about the physical dimensions and fit on the wheels and MDS.

Put Toyo's on the front and Michelin's on the back where space between duals is critical. You're not going to move them around anyway. Just watch the alignment. Bob

275/80-22.5 295/75-22.5 Difference Diameter inches (mm) 39.82 (1011.5) 39.92 (1014) 0.1 (2.5) 0.2% Width inches (mm) 10.83 (275) 11.61 (295) 0.79 (20) 7.3% Circum. inches (mm) 125.11 (3177.72) 125.42 (3185.57) 0.31 (7.85) 0.2% Sidewall Height inches (mm) 8.66 (220) 8.71 (221.25) 0.05 (1.25) 0.6% Revolutions per mile (km) 506.45 (314.69) 505.2 (313.91) -1.25 (-0.78) -0.2% Speedometer Difference Speedo Reading Actual Speed 20 mph (32.19 km/h) 20.05 mph (32.27 km/h) 25 mph (40.23 km/h) 25.06 mph (40.33 km/h) 30 mph (48.28 km/h) 30.07 mph (48.4 km/h) 35 mph (56.33 km/h) 35.09 mph (56.47 km/h) 40 mph (64.37 km/h) 40.1 mph (64.53 km/h) 45 mph (72.42 km/h) 45.11 mph (72.6 km/h) 50 mph (80.47 km/h) 50.12 mph (80.67 km/h) 55 mph (88.51 km/h) 55.14 mph (88.73 km/h) 60 mph (96.56 km/h) 60.15 mph (96.8 km/h) 65 mph (104.61 km/h)

65.16 mph (104.87 km/h)

Bill,

You are correct that the 295 is only 0.78" wider then the 275. That wouldn't matter much on a single tire however on a set of duals that takes 1.56" out of the spacing between the duals. Tireman knows the correct terminology, all I know is driving down the highway on a day when the temperature 105 degrees, I want as much space as I can get between my duels.

I'm still wondering about the post where it was said that he had 315's on his front steering tires and 295's in the drive tires. Tireman can you explain that for me, Thanks.

Herman

Bill,

You are correct that the 295 is only 0.78" wider then the 275. That wouldn't matter much on a single tire however on a set of duals that takes 1.56" out of the spacing between the duals. Tireman knows the correct terminology, all I know is driving down the highway on a day when the temperature 105 degrees, I want as much space as I can get between my duels.

I'm still wondering about the post where it was said that he had 315's on his front steering tires and 295's in the drive tires. Tireman can you explain that for me, Thanks.

Herman

The link and web site provided by Wayne has a lot of reasonable accurate dimensional information but it neglects to mention two important and critical dimensions. The Minimum Dual Spacing that when followed provides the needed clearance between duals. It also fails to mention the necessity to confirm rim width as tire wear problems can occur with the use of UN-approved rim widths.

Not sure where the post is that mentions the 315/295 size mix on an RV but if all the load and dimensions are properly considered I see no problem with that application as it might address some front axle overload issues. Of course it would be good to know if the RV manufacturer has tested this size mix for acceptable handling and braking performance on an RV.

I was leaning toward the same question....what does the manufactures sticker show for the front axle tire size? if it is a 315 OK. If not I would make it right with what they recommend, nothing more nothing less, same applies tot he duals in the back. I have seen many trucks with tire kissing from oversized tires in a dual position. I don't want to be near one on the highway let alone driving it.

Guess I have a slightly different take on the front tires. If the OE tires were very close to the tire's maximum load capacity AND there is room for the larger tire/higher load rating tire (clearance to suspension and body components) and AND you have the proper rim for the larger tire, I would certainly consider it.

Said another way, I do not want the front tires to be the "weak point". I do want some "Reserve Load Capacity".

Guess I have a slightly different take on the front tires. If the OE tires were very close to the tire's maximum load capacity AND there is room for the larger tire/higher load rating tire (clearance to suspension and body components) and AND you have the proper rim for the larger tire, I would certainly consider it.

Said another way, I do not want the front tires to be the "weak point". I do want some "Reserve Load Capacity".

x2

Thanks, now I understand. This is where having your coach weighed would help make the decision on the larger front tire. But the old pun still makes sense on the rear, "Size Does Matter".

Herman

Herman.  I have 315's on front axle,  295's on drive axle (Dully) and 295's on tag.  Like Brett and Tireman, I like that extra margin in front, also rides softer! :D

Carl

Thanks for all the information. When I last replaced my tires I went with G670's. I have no complaint, they have served us well. However I am going to have to replace all 8 of my tires soon. I will compare pricing with the Tire program and my local dealer. I will most likely go with the Michelins and change the fronts to 315s. Being in Texas we have to go through both Oklahoma and Louisiana to get to most of our destinations and maybe the softer ride may help. When going through either one it's like a 6.8 earthquake.

Herman (??)

Herman, I can relate to that. We traveled on I-40 through OK in November 2013 it was so bad the body mounting sheared off the frame on our class C and the microwave broke out of its mounting. I remember crossing a river on I-40 and I thought the coach was going to be totaled when I go to the other side. Next time I will come down I-44 and just deal with the Highway Patrol RV harassment.

Joe...I 40's getting better.  After the first time out west on I 40 pulling a 5th wheel, when I came home I had an air pin box put on.

I have 315s on the front too, but I also have a 17k front axle.