npetersjr

Tire Shelf-Life and Life-Cycle Concerns

What is acceptable shelf-life of new tires being installed on a motorhome?

Yesterday, 24 May 2017, had six “new tires” (275/70R22.5) installed on my motorhome, tires made by a national company.  When I arrived home checked tires DOT made date and learned “new tires” were made 3415 making them already almost two years old.  Today upon investigation with two separate national tire manufactures I was told tires have a shelf-life of three years being held for sell in the national company warehouse and a life-cycle of ten years.  I feel that this is unsettling, as I had understood it best to keep tires on motorhome based on DOT date tires were made for five or six years. My old tires which were replaced were made in Oct or Nov of 2012, but not installed on motorhome until April 2013.  Comments/Guidance Desired Please. Norm

Norm, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

That would have made me call them back and ask for replacements or a heavy discount off of the price. I just put 6 tires on our coach, when I called to order them I asked for date codes no older than 6 months, as it turned out they were only around 8 weeks old (they were good at accommodating my request as they already had my size in stock and had to order me tires per my date code request). Maybe someone else will chime in but in my opinion you just lost 2 years of life on them.

I always specify the oldest date code I will accept.  I try for and usually get very close to 3 months or less in age.  Letting them know that when you order the tires takes care of any problems when it comes time to pay for them.  In fact, if one supplier can't get tires that meet my criteria, I'll go to a different shop.  In many applications, two or three year old tires aren't a problem.  Put them on an 18 wheeler and they likely are gone in 6 months or less.  On a motor home, it is the rare customer that will wear the tread down significantly in 6 or 7 years.  We need to insist on fresh tires.

What does the written warranty say? 

Some companies start the clock on date of application. Some on DOT. 

Having the dated receipt and written warranty down the road could be worth $hundreds so those are definitely valuable documents.

You should be sure the clock on your "new" tires didn't start till the date they were applied.

I will not accept a new tire older than 4 months.  When I order tires from my supplier I make it known that if they are older than 4 months I won't take them off their truck.  Just got 4 tires in April and they were 2 months old.

What does Michelin say is the start date for tire warranty? DOT or install date?

(had a good laugh, Michelin customer service lady said "ok to buy 3 year old tires and that they are good for 10 years")

Superior Tire in Portland Or says it starts at installation date, so they say a one year old tire is OK! They also don't supply you the DOT dates so you have to do that yourself!  Will the next buyer of the coach be happy when you tell him that the tires are only 5 years old, not 6 like the DOT date shows?

When ordering new tires set a maximum age on the DOT date 6 months max, 3 months preferably. Check them before mounting and not after. Also be sure and have them monut the tire with the DOT stamp facing out, That is something you have to tell the installer or it will just be how the tire falls on the rim.

Herman 

On 9/17/2017 at 9:40 AM, Hermanmullins said:

When ordering new tires set a maximum age on the DOT date 6 months max, 3 months preferably. Check them before mounting and not after. Also be sure and have them monut the tire with the DOT stamp facing out, That is something you have to tell the installer or it will just be how the tire falls on the rim.

Herman 

RE mounting tires w/DOT "out"

This is not an issue if the dealer provides you with the DOT noted on the tire invoice and if they give you the tire registration form as they are supposed to do. If you don't know about tire Registration you should. Read about it HERE.

I have seen a suggestion that you keep tire DOT info on your smartphone and I have previously suggested this info should be kept with other important info and papers.  Tire invoice is important if you ever have a warranty issue.  Don't forget that "out of the duals is not the same as for the fronts.

So what does Michelin say about age of tires at installation date?  We all have our opinions, what do they say? 

I have posted this question on their web site but no response!  What do the tire experts say?

Superior Tire in Portland did not give me DOT numbers or a copy of the warranty, just an invoice for $500 to install, balance, torque, disposal, etc.  They are not a small dealer but act like one!

Since you, not Michelin will end up spending your money to replace these tires based on AGE, not sure their view is really that important.

Agreed, tires will age "less fast" sitting in a warehouse than on a vehicle, but they still age faster than a tire that has not yet been built.

Unless it is an emergency and you have not been able to locate "younger" tires, I would not pay for tires more than 3 months old.

thezafts.

I had all 8 tires replaced at Superior Tire in Eugene, OR.  August 2014 and they where 2 tires at 5 weeks old and 6 tires at 14 weeks old. It is noted on my invoice!  If I'm in OR in 2020 and this coach, I will go see Superior again!  I run 315 x 80 x 22.5 on steer tires and 295 on rest.

If you did not get the information...call them with your Invoice number and am sure they'll send it to you!

I did contact Superior Tire in Portland and responded that they do not have the date codes and that I would have to get them myself or I could return to shop and they would get them for me.  I am in Arizonan now!

i did go to Roger Marbles TireSafety web site to register tires, which led me to Michelins site, which asked to choice the tire but the list is only for passenger tires, XRV tires are not listed.

So where do you register RV tires?

You need to re-contact the dealer.  If salesman unable (actually unwilling) to get you the DOT date code, ask to speak to the warehouse manager.  Ask him for the date code of the newest tires in the quantity, size and series you want. Explain why it is important to you-- that you will be replacing on AGE, not wear.

If unwilling to play, look for another dealer.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:30 AM, thezafts said:

I did contact Superior Tire in Portland and responded that they do not have the date codes and that I would have to get them myself or I could return to shop and they would get them for me.  I am in Arizonan now!

i did go to Roger Marbles TireSafety web site to register tires, which led me to Michelins site, which asked to choice the tire but the list is only for passenger tires, XRV tires are not listed.

So where do you register RV tires?

I am following up directly with NHTSA on my oversight. Hope to have an answer early this week. I will update my blog and post the info on registration here.

UPDATE 11/22

Thanksgiving week and many folks are out so am not getting answers to my questions.  I did confirm that for many brand tires you only need the DOT serial and not the tire design name - Except with Michelin.  Soooo I am going to ask Michelin about why they need people to select the design AND supply the DOT.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:18 AM, thezafts said:

What does Michelin say is the start date for tire warranty? DOT or install date?

(had a good laugh, Michelin customer service lady said "ok to buy 3 year old tires and that they are good for 10 years")

Superior Tire in Portland Or says it starts at installation date, so they say a one year old tire is OK! They also don't supply you the DOT dates so you have to do that yourself!  Will the next buyer of the coach be happy when you tell him that the tires are only 5 years old, not 6 like the DOT date shows?

You should be keeping the warranty paperwork for the tires with the coach. If you sell the coach and the buyer asks about the tires you would then show the warranty info and the dated sales receipt.

4 hours ago, thezafts said:

Roger, only thing Superior Tire gave was an invoice for installation, balance. No warranty, no DOT tire dates.

Michelin XRV were purchased thru FMCA.

You should have the invoice from FMCA. Print the invoice and go write down the date codes.

Bill

"What If My Tires Are Not Registered?

If you think that your tires were not registered at the time of purchase, your dealer did you and your family a great disservice. In the event of a safety-related recall, you would not be notified, since your tires may not be registered.

You may also print out our "Consumer Rights Certificate" (in Adobe PDF format) to take back to your dealer, and request that he give you the required tire registration forms. It is your right to be protected in the event of a safety-related tire recall. It's the law."

Source for above from CIMS the industry’s largest tire registration company.

Superior Tire says they do not have the date codes. What good is the law requiring them to register the tires if they won't comply?

A month ago Michelin said they would mail me the registration and warranty info, still waiting for it!

I know what a date code is, I know how to get the date code.

If by law Superior Tire  Is supposed to register the tires and he will not do it, what recourse do I have?

i still have not found a way for me to register Michelin R V tires.  There is an independent site for dealers to do it.

Anyone know?

If your Tire seller, like Superior Tire, won't help to register your tires, go to any Michelin dealer and pick up a registration card, fill it out and mail it in. This is per Michelin and currently they do not a have a way to register RV tires on line, yes for car and motorcycle tires!

And per Michelin, a dealer can sell a 3 year old tire as "new". Warranty starts on date of sale not DOT date! They would like dealers to register tires, for recall purposes, but are not required!  Is there a Federal Law requiring this?

On 12/10/2017 at 6:29 PM, thezafts said:

I know what a date code is, I know how to get the date code.

If by law Superior Tire  Is supposed to register the tires and he will not do it, what recourse do I have?

i still have not found a way for me to register Michelin R V tires.  There is an independent site for dealers to do it.

Anyone know?

You have the option of filing a complaint with NHTSA on Superior Tire for not registering your tires or even providing you with the needed paperwork.  Did you read the info in my post of Dec 1?