Vegasmailman

10 Year Age Rule In RV Campgrounds

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

We were ask this today in a park we stayed in for a month last year, wanted to see our registration. We passed muster with our 2005,my wife said maybe we should get a newer mh 😄 because she likes this park.

What park?

Pioneer RV park just north of Phoenix.  Most of the parks here in Phoenix do the same as I say we passed at 13 yo. But had never asked before.

That's news to me as I have never had that asked of me before!  All I get is "What kind, length, how many slides, toad and pet/pets"? That's it.  $25 to $125 a day, anywhere in the USA!  I have heard of it happening, but that was 10-15 years ago and mainly in California and Florida!

In my experience they have the rule so they have the ability to refuse you. I have on several occasions stayed at places with a 10yr rule, I email them a photo while booking the reservation, usually get put on hold and have never been turned away and our coach is a 2002. I will say all of the times we have stayed at these places it was a great experience and relaxing. A few have explained why they have the rule and after you hear the stories you will understand. As with everything now a days it only takes one or two to spoil it for the rest of us.

Manholt is right, usually in FL or CA is where you will find these.

13 hours ago, Skeetstar said:

I have heard about this too, I am spending a lot of money on a Coach a tad over 10 years. *following*

What are you looking at? By the way welcome to the forum.

Bill

We have come across some parks that ask the age etc. Frankly, after stopping in some RV parks on our travels, we are all for it.

Sadly we have noticed that the number of “full time residents” in Rv parks has been increasing and by this I mean RVs that looked like they haven’t been moved in a long time nor could they be moved. This seems more prevalent in the “oil” or pipeline States but is spreading. We have stopped at a couple of parks where there were only a couple of sites available for travelers, and these were fairly well rated campgrounds in GS, but that’s another story.

When we had an older RV, it was perpetually 9 years old.  No one every challenged this as it always looked good.  Later we restored a couple of older vintage silver trailers and we told them the year and it was a restored vintage RV.  A few would ask for a picture which we proudly sent them.

There was one RV Resort north of Houston that would let our 1979 Silver Streak in with our RV club rally, but would not let us in as a single unit.  Yet, they had fairly new rigs that looked much worse than our restored RV.

Most places are reasonable and just want the rigs to look decent.

Ken

I have only come across a couple parks that either have that 10 year rule, and/or bring it up.  Like someone already said, some parks may have it in place so they can refuse service to some folks.

We like to utilize a public park back in the general area where most of our family is located.  It is a small park on a river owned by a park district.  They don't have the 10 year old rule but they certainly should have.  Over the years they began to get full of full timers in old TT's, fivers, and coaches.  They are one of the few RV facilities in Illinois that have sites open in the winter months.  At $330 a month (including electric) it was a cheap place to live and the park eventually turned into just a run down trailer park.  

They have started to turn that around by closing the park from December 1st to April 1st.  This forced all the "trailer park non-RV" residents to leave.  Many of them had to hire someone to move their units and some even abandoned them.  If the park district would have had the 10 year old rule and enforced it they would have never gotten into that situation in the first place.

Hi. Ive had some friends who were bothered by something like this, and I understand that some facilities do have this rules. It is always good to go to there website and read the policies before booking.

We have a 2004 Beaver which looks really good. Stayed at a private camp ground in Corpus Christi Texas, we had to send pictures to get accepted. Which we were. 

I don't like that rule, but I understand, why some have it.  I don't know anyone who has been turned down!  Probably 90% can't tell what year a coach is! :lol:

Well I am kind of the poster boy for this issue, 2003 coach a little travel stained after 11/2 months on the road. I have not been questioned about my coach. I am in the world of "seasonal" camping. Currently in VT. was in the Watkins Glen area. That place had sines all over marking areas seasonal only, Keep Out. It is just the business model. 

Bill 

Happy Trails RV Resort in Surprise, AZ has the ten year rule for as long as we have owned our lot, 16 years. One can send pictures to apply for exception, but the board of the HOA has to approve which can take a few months. Those that rent there usually apply for the next season before they leave this season. 

Also, even if you have been grandfathered in because you own your lot and your RV ages to exceed the 10 year rule, your RV must be kept in like new condition. 

I recently read where a campground required you to show your motorhome registration papers at check in. In my opinion, thats a little much. There are several older Prevost,  Bluebirds, Foretravels, etc that I guess wouldn't be able to get in to that CG.

Last spring I was on a business trip in Orlando FL and when I was done with it I rented a car and toured campgrounds from Tarpon Springs to Naples and everything in between.

We were specifically looking for nice class A only type parks and resorts.  80% of what I looked at I would not stay at, cramped, run down, park models etc.  Many of the nicer places already were booked for next season and said they said we could be wait listed.  I ended up getting a 4 month rental at Bay Bayou in Tampa in the new section which is really first class.   My second choice was Fort Myers and may go there the following year.  Naples had some nice places also but the traffic there would not make it a relaxing place to winter IMO.

I like the ten year rule only because it keeps the riffraff out and normally if you have a painted well maintained coach the ten year rule is waived.  

There was a table for one of the RV resorts at Gillette that tried to hard sell us. I finally asked "What's the point? You wouldn't let our old coach in anyway." The sales rep asked to see pictures, and immediately said that they would be happy to have us. We lost interest at the mention of the ten-year-old rule, but it's interesting to notice how quickly things can change once pictures are shown.

LOL 😂!  Your 30 year old, makes a lot of new coaches look like poop! 

As long as the rules are flexible, I have no problem with it.  

Essex2015.  Have you looked at River Bend Resort?

I ran into one campground that had the 10 year rule and I asked about the policy.  I was told that if someone has an older rig, the simply ask to have a recent photo emailed to them and the problem is usually solved.  I imagine they tell the person that if they show up and their rig isn't as described/pictured, they can be refused entrance.  

Considering some of the "shanty towns" we've encountered in some campgrounds, I understand why owners of nicer campgrounds/rv resorts having rules such as the older than 10 year rule.  In the same vein, I appreciate campgrounds that enforce quiet hours and other rules that help in making sure everyone can enjoy their stay.  Now, if we could just educate some of the folks out there that don't seem to be aware of basic campground etiquette....

That begs the question of your, Make, model and year?  There are owners of 45+ year old rigs, on this Forum, that looks as good as a 5 year old's! 🤩