Vegasmailman

10 Year Age Rule In RV Campgrounds

Has anyone had problems on being accepted at a campground due to age (rv in good shape) .  I ran across a older 1999 DP,  and might entertain the idea if I can get some feedback on people experiences and observations.  Thank you

Many Campgrounds and/or RV Resorts have this rule. Ours does, but once you buy a lot with a less than 10 year old RV, you are grandfathered in as long as maintained in like new condition. 

The way most CG's interpret this is "we have the right to refuse RV's over 10 years old". 

I like the rule, though all but one of our motorhomes were over 10 years old. 

As most interpret it, it is there keep derelicts out. We have NEVER been turned down once they see our coach.

My thought has always been, if it looks good how do they know the age of the coach?  Can anyone of us tell the difference in a 2005, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 15 Fleetwood Discovery just by looking? 

If it comes to that. I haven't run into any problems. I have heard of campgrounds asking for a picture when making a reservation. If they do can I send them a picture of your coach? :P

Bill

Just tell them its a 2008.  Next year it will magically become a 2009.  I still do this with my 1988 Prevost.

1 hour ago, rossboyer said:

Our resort checks the Vin # or registration to see which is the newest. 

What is the name of this wonderful RESORT? I would be headed for the door. There are to many places to deal with places like that. I would also be doing my reviews in RV Park reviews.:P

Bill

Ross lives in Anderson, IN.  Don't know if that's a stick & bricks or a RV resort with casita.  I'm with Brett, Bill & Jim on this one!  Have never been turned away from a Resort !  Florida State Park, yes...I had a 15 pound dog! :blink:

Never had a problem yet.  Have a 1989 Southwind with faded graphics  which we've owned for 9 years and have yet to be turned away.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Ross lives in Anderson, IN.  Don't know if that's a stick & bricks or a RV resort with casita.  I'm with Brett, Bill & Jim on this one!  Have never been turned away from a Resort !  Florida State Park, yes...I had a 15 pound dog! :blink:

He did say "Our resort":o

Bill

Vegasmailman. 

If you like the 1999 DP, buy it and stay away, from Anderson, IN.  We went thru there in July and saw nothing special to indicate a "snobbish Resort"! :wacko: 

I can tell you that that "resort" is not a place I want to spend any money.  If you want to check my VIN you will only get a good look at my tail pipe as I head down the road.

I have seen similar requirements in other exclusive "Class A only" resorts but most are also selling lots to RVers willing to pay the ongoing costs and I have no use for that type of RVing either.  I did it once an bought a lot at The Great Outdoors in Titusville, FL back in the 90's.  What a terrible mistake but at least I got out of it with a profit before the whole market crashed.

bounder,

I am with you, there is so much dry camping available in Arizona. Quartzsite is just the beginning, go over the mountain to the Bouse area and think back about "Q" look at the mountains and think ATV trails toward Quartzsite. My goodness there is so much to see and the history in just those mtns is amazing. Then north and east is Alamo Lake, a BLM flood control project that is one of Arizona's best bass fishing lakes. It drains 5000 square miles from Prescott south and protects the Bill Williams Wildlife refuge, Parker and Lake Havasu. Last year with all the rain in Dec and January the wild flowers were amazing. We were parked in a sea of yellow with more humming birds than I have ever experienced. Again the ATV trails around were extensive and the history...incredible. We are going back again this year for sure.

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Tell them it's 14 pounds. What are they going to do, weigh it! :lol:

----------------------------

With the old 2008 and in the 8+ years of traveling I was only asked 1 time how old it was when making reservations.  Had it been ten years old I would have said goodby when making the reservations and found another campground.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:25 PM, wolfe10 said:

The way most CG's interpret this is "we have the right to refuse RV's over 10 years old". 

I like the rule, though all but one of our motorhomes were over 10 years old. 

As most interpret it, it is there keep derelicts out. We have NEVER been turned down once they see our coach.

That has been our experience too. In fact, one RV park asked the coach age, when I said a 2000, she said "really"?  it looks like it's new, and proceeded to have me sign the Parks registration slip.

Twice I have been asked, both times they hesitated, I offered to email a photo, photo emailed and to date have not been turned down.

I am all for it and I can understand why they do it. The more experienced we get with this lifestyle the more I get it!

On 11/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, BillAdams said:

Just tell them its a 2008.  Next year it will magically become a 2009.  I still do this with my 1988 Prevost.

:lol:

On 11/28/2017 at 9:19 PM, RayIN said:

That has been our experience too. In fact, one RV park asked the coach age, when I said a 2000, she said "really"?  it looks like it's new, and proceeded to have me sign the Parks registration slip.

Same experience for us. We have a 2000 DP and when we go to AZ the resort ask for Pic's when reserving online. The reply is welcome looks good. Just don't think DW or I would want to stay somewhere we weren't welcome.

We were ask this today in a park we stayed in for a month last year, wanted to see our registration. We passed muster with our 2005,my wife said maybe we should get a newer mh 😄 because she likes this park.