Daneast1

Diesel Block Heater

Depends on the motorhome.  Please tell us what brand, year, model of your coach and, hopefully, someone else has one and can tell you.

On my rig the block heater cord and the wall outlet to plug it into are located in the same bay as the shore power connector and main transfer switch.

There is also a wall switch in the kitchen area to energize the outlet.

Lenp

Dan, welcome!  We need more info!

Mine is hard wired and I have a on/off switch next to my Aqua Hot switches on my control panel.

Most of the time, its a plug into 120V in your engine bay, by your start batteries, if you have a Diesel Pusher!

If you're talking about where is the outlet for you to plug in the block heater, then the answer is that it's different on almost every make/model. Some don't have an outlet at all. We have to run an extension cord right now to plug in the heater. Installing an outlet in the engine bay is on my list for this spring.

If you are able to crawl underneath the engine, look for an electric cord hooked to one side or the other and follow the cord to a possible male connection. In our case, it leaves the passenger side of the engine, crosses underneath the engine, and enters  the floor underneath the bed. Lift the bed and there it is. It plugs into a socket that is switch activated outside the bed foundation  Just follow the cable to where ever it goes. Really does help a cold start.

Yep.  You want to find it before you need it.  Crawling around in sub zero weather is NOT on top of my wish list..:P:rolleyes:

Dan,

Here is where all of it is located on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty.

In the rear closet there is a hatch on the floor. There are two latches, one on either side closest to you. Press the round button on each then open the hatch. You will find a moisture proof outlet on the Right Hand side. The out let is only hot when connected to shore power or the generator is running. Very close to the out let you will find what look like an extension cord. That is the cord to the Block Heater. Plug in the cord and make sure the switch in the dash marked "BLOCK HEATER" is ON. It may take several hours for it it warm the block. 

Hope this helps.

Herman  

In my coach, plug is in the last bay, street side, which is where the power cord is.  The switch to active the plug is in the rear of the coach curb side.

I had an interesting conversation with a Freightliner dealer in Maine the other day. Due to the extreme cold and people not plugging in block heaters prior to starting their engines for a few hours they have been overwhelmed with damaged/destroyed engines. I had a 2010 ISC Cummins destroyed at 20 below zero, cold start no block heater driver turned the cruise control on immediately upon the engine starting, oil was so thick it was apparently lacking in a few critical locations. Truck only had 89,000 miles on it and a $21,000 oops.

Cummins rep told me 20 minutes at idle before adding throttle when it's that cold. You would have to slightly bump the cruise control (keep it below 900 rpm) depending on the year so the idle shutdown timer doesn't shut you down.

Anybody who has a block heater and does not use it...in this weather....is not playing with a full deck.  My Cummins ISL said to use it if 40 or lower, this DD 13 said to use if 50 or below...and I do.  When we left the first week in Jan, the temp was in the high teens, the block heat was on for about five hours (I set a timer) before I started it and the coolant was 80 degrees.

In -20, my coach engine would have a space blanket and a heavy comforter on it...me, I'd be in a room with a roaring fire in the hearth and a hot chocolate in hand.  Geez!  The 9 degrees we had here at the ranch, was as cold as I ever want again!!!  

When we left Michigan this year it was -11, we ran block heater over night and engine started right up and ran like a champ.

Keep in mind a block heater only heats the coolant, any heat to the oil is radiant unless you also have an oil pan heater. You have nothing to pre-heat the transmission and oil unless it is an aftermarket add-on.

Ray, you are right. That is another reason I am running Shell Rotella T-6 5-40 as it flows much better when cold. I want oil to the turbo as fast as possible. 

Bill

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Bill.  Do you have stock in Shell? :huh::lol:

No, I ran Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel Truck until they had a $5.00 rebate on the Shell:P.

Bill

Remember to turn it off.

One friend went to Yuma (from British Columbia) and forgot to turn it off until he got his first electrical bill from the resort - over $600.00.