akadeadeye

Engine Braking

On a recent trip to the east coast, we were traveling south on I26 from Asheville toward Spartanburg, down the mountains and I was using the engine brake frequently on those 7 and 8* long slopes.  All of a sudden the engine temp skyrocketed and we could smell the sweet smell of coolant.  I pulled over immediately.  We were eventually towed into Spartanburg.  A water hose had burst near the engine having become hard and somewhat brittle, we later learned.  We were at a Cummins facility. 

Later on our trip I was recounting this experience with a fellow RVer.  He said I was using my engine brake too much and putting too much pressure on the engine and he guessed this could have been the cause of the hose bursting.  I am skeptical.  Any thoughts??

Don

43 minutes ago, akadeadeye said:

On a recent trip to the east coast, we were traveling south on I26 from Asheville toward Spartanburg, down the mountains and I was using the engine brake frequently on those 7 and 8* long slopes.  All of a sudden the engine temp skyrocketed and we could smell the sweet smell of coolant.  I pulled over immediately.  We were eventually towed into Spartanburg.  A water hose had burst near the engine having become hard and somewhat brittle, we later learned.  We were at a Cummins facility. 

Later on our trip I was recounting this experience with a fellow RVer.  He said I was using my engine brake too much and putting too much pressure on the engine and he guessed this could have been the cause of the hose bursting.  I am skeptical.  Any thoughts??

Don

Hi Don, Unless you had a much bigger problem with your engine I think it was just a bad hose. 

Bill

Engine braking does put more 'pressure' on the engine. But, this really means that the engine is being asked to do more work and puts more pressure inside the cylinders. Not pressure like it builds up extra pressure in the cooling system. I agree, if everything else is working on the engine it's probably a bad hose.

I have run into experts like the one you spoke with at one time or another. I just nod and agree, later I just shake my head and wonder how these folks survive RVing..:)

Where was the hose's location? If it was near the exhaust there may be a shield out of place or gone. May have had more to do with climbing the hills and not so much with the exhaust brake.

Gary 

Don.  Bad hose.  I have my hoses and belts checked each year when I have engine and generator serviced.  If yours was original from the day the chassis was built, it was 10+ years old. :( I use my engine break a lot on 6-8 degree hills, I also am in a lower gear!

I am guessing at the 9 to 10 year mark for a hose it could have been time for a replacement.  I'm sure over-the-road tractors use their engine brake systems a lot.

Knew a fellow trucker that used his Jake Brake so religiously that he exceeded 400,000 miles between brake jobs. Annoying to run with though.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:46 PM, campcop said:

I have run into experts like the one you spoke with at one time or another. I just nod and agree, later I just shake my head and wonder how these folks survive RVing..:)

:lol: glad i'm not the only one that has experienced this! I've had conversations in CG's that make you wonder who ties their shoes in the morning.

The engine brake doesn't put anymore of a stress on the engine than the accelerator does. Keep in mind on an emissions engine, they produce more heat surrounding the engine than a older engine, this will cause hoses to fail sooner.

I think I will start a new Topic " Ole Wives Tales"

First one.

Excessive use of the Exhaust Brake will cause your Hoses to harden and break or leak.

:rolleyes:Herman

On 2/19/2018 at 7:56 AM, jleamont said:

:lol: glad i'm not the only one that has experienced this! I've had conversations in CG's that make you wonder who ties their shoes in the morning.

The engine brake doesn't put anymore of a stress on the engine than the accelerator does. Keep in mind on an emissions engine, they produce more heat surrounding the engine than a older engine, this will cause hoses to fail sooner.

What do you mean by an "emissions engine"?

Don

The one's that was built after 2007 and 2010 to meet the new EPA standards!  In 2007, 08 and 09, you have particulate filter.  In 2010 to present you have DEF ! 

8 hours ago, manholt said:

The one's that was built after 2007 and 2010 to meet the new EPA standards!  In 2007, 08 and 09, you have particulate filter.  In 2010 to present you have DEF ! 

YUP!

In 2010 to present you have DEF ! 

Ehh what did you say Carl, my hearing aids don't work well for print!:D

:lol::lol: 32.5% Urea at $3 a gallon.  I have a cream for my feet, that is 42% Urea at $39 for 6oz. by RX only....wonder if DEF is a good substitute? :blink:

7 minutes ago, manholt said:

I have a cream for my feet, that is 42% Urea at $39 for 6oz. by RX only....wonder if DEF is a good substitute?

:lol:

13 hours ago, jleamont said:

:lol:

Let's see.  We've gone from a coolant hose problem to  a cream for your feet.  Wow.  My thanks to all who were on point.

Don

Urea 32% on the feet helps cure dry and cracked feet, maybe it will work equally well on the dry and cracked hoses. :wacko: Makes about as much sense as using engine braking causing extra pressure on the engine causing the hoses to blow. :wub:  I know that using urea does what it is supposed to for the feet, but I don't believe the engine braking line yet. Just saying.

Don.

We aim to please!  To ere is human. :)

Kay. You'll not get an argument from me about that.  Agree 100%!  OP did ask about "What is an omission engine"?  He's got a 2009, so DEF does not apply!  Only Particulate filter during re-generation.  My #! &2 exhaust's goes to way over 1.300 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, about every 3,000 miles!  Thankfully I can continue driving, while some are set for you to find a place to park the coach, while degen is going on!  If that is what OP does, then yes, it can get brittle and break down over time.  :D 

15 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Urea 32% on the feet helps cure dry and cracked feet, maybe it will work equally well on the dry and cracked hoses. :wacko: Makes about as much sense as using engine braking causing extra pressure on the engine causing the hoses to blow. :wub:  I know that using urea does what it is supposed to for the feet, but I don't believe the engine braking line yet. Just saying.

Kay,  It was not my supposition about engine braking causing my hose problem, if you read my OP right.  It was someone else.  I was just asking for comments from some people with expertise.  Obviously, from your sarcastic comments, you are not among those.

Don.

We aim to please!  To ere is human. :)

Kay. You'll not get an argument from me about that.  Agree 100%!  OP did ask about "What is an omission engine"?  He's got a 2009, so DEF does not apply!  Only Particulate filter during re-generation.  My #! &2 exhaust's goes to way over 1.300 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, about every 3,000 miles!  Thankfully I can continue driving, while some are set for you to find a place to park the coach, while degen is going on!  If that is what OP does, then yes, it can get brittle and break down over time.  :D 

Mr. Manholt.  I really don't know what you are talking about.  First, there is nothing in my OP that mentioned "omission engine".  Where did that come from?  And, what does that mean?  I really believe that you and kaypsmith should be removed from posting privileges here because of your flipant and condescending responses to someone who just asked an honest question to a problem.  I obviously am an inferior RVer to both of you and I bow to your superior intelligence, but you don't have to be so condescending about it.  No wonder other forums out there are more frequented than this one.  Geeeeeezzzzzz!

Don, your humble  RV subservient

Don.

You do own a 2009 Newmar 42 foot, Diesel Pusher, right?  I'm only guessing, since you did not mention it, that you have a chassis and Cummins engine that is post 2007, right?  If you re-read my response to your question, "What is a emission engine?", you will note that I said, any diesel engine built in 2007,8, and 9 have to meet the EPA standards...Just what is your problem, with us answering your question?

Your original question had to do with, "what could cause my coolant hose to burst?"  and that it was brittle. "Could that be from too much "Engine Braking"? 

Herman or Brett.  Time to close this one!  Argumentative and personal, verbal assault. 

Carl