hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

On 2/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, erniee said:

Sitting here with rain and 40 degrees in Vidalia, Louisiana- waiting till it gets real cold before coming home 

Want to trade weather? In S. Indiana, the forecast is -9°F tonight and tomorrow night, more snow Monday.

15 hours ago, manholt said:

OMG.  I don't wish that on anyone!  Friend or foe....I knew your DW had been in an accident and hope she's doing better now!

What's wrapped around the rear axle?

The plastic gas tank, it was behind the axle, she had just filled the tank. The wrecker driver said being full prevented the gas tank from exploding, there was little room for gas vapor.

Edited by rayin

14 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Thank God you still have her with you. 🙏

Herman

I was her caregiver for 8 months, now she is caring for me. She has never been able to ride in any vehicle for over 1-2 hours since, which drastically changed our traveling style/plans. In our MH she would lie on a sofa while I was driving.

Edited by rayin

8 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

This is sad.  Search for the words (without quotes) "banning travel to Florida"

I wonder if it is going to affect RV'ers.

Wayne, I hope not, I have already paid for my stay in May to StGeorge Island, luckily I know all the backroads.

Ray, thank God for a miracle that spared your wife's life, and the road to recovery, and hopes for a recovery for your ailments as well.

The original stories covering this were about evaluating how to tweak nation-wide travel to make it safer, not to prohibit travel to/from Florida or any other state. It quickly devolved into a political story by those wishing to score points.

I just did the recommended Google search and it seems that there is a lot of click bait being published intended to do nothing more than get eyes on their websites. They got the eyes on their stories and now it's grown legs of its own.

Doesn't seem like there's a need to stress out over this.

True, remember New Mexico ban, last April May, June...we went there twice and soo did many of our friends!  Same was going on in MI and we have friends that take their coaches and spend summer/fall in Travers City, most places was open, no big deal.  Como's plan to shut down NY State, didn't happen for tourists or those driving thru...So he shut it down for New Yorkers instead (my cousins wife from Sweden and her friends flew to NYC to shop once a month!! )

We was in Fl last month and AIM is having a big Rally in Fl  this month for sure!  Bark, bark, but no teeth!

Edited by manholt

I didn't post it for any political reasons, definitely not.  I posted it because it pertains to travel and if I'm not mistaken, we all travel.  As most of the links suggest, it is a "consideration."  The Tampa Bay media is reported as being "left center," when it comes to reporting. This information is from "mediabiasfactcheck.com."   Left centered media tend to publish information that favor liberal causes. (I'm just reporting facts and not intending to start any political debate.  You can do your own research, please.)

If you are interested you can go to the mediabiasfactcheck web site and look up all the left, right, center, etc. news media statistics according to them. I think it is a good representation of all the media biases.

Sorry Richard but I don't find this a political move by any party and I guess that only time will tell. All we can do is wait and see.  We are not going to travel out of the State of Texas for several months. We may take short trips within the state.  In our house with wheels or our house on sticks and bricks we do not change our routing of being safe.  Masks, distances and bring food in to eat. We both have had second shots of the vaccine.

36 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

I didn't post it for any political reasons, definitely not.  ...

Not blaming you or accusing you of anything. What I meant by it becoming a political story was the reaction being published by various politicians throwing accusations about something being done for nefarious purposes to 'get' them.

When I looked through the timeline leading up to the stories about this issue, it was apparent to me that what started as a story about various safety measures being considered for domestic air travel quickly morphed into accusations in the political world about things being done to to punish political opponents. I'm not privy to any information which isn't widely available, but to my understanding this is just another story which has blown up on social media into something it's not. I just checked again, and there are multiple fact-checking organizations which are confirming that the administration has no plans to close Florida's borders to/from other states.

If everyone remembers, there were various stories during the early days of the pandemic about various states looking to restrict travel in/out of their state, including Florida. If I remember correctly, Florida and a few other states had checkpoints on some of the highways entering the state last spring, presumably to inform incoming travelers of quarantine rules and other restrictions. This quickly morphed on Facebook and other social media into a story about Florida closing its borders and restricting entry.

Isn't the Internet wonderful...one can search and find the information that they want to find. Yes, many things can turn political, but then again there are media outlets that speak the facts, albeit not completely.  According to "news sources," the Government is in conversation with CDC. Dept HS, and state governors to discuss mitigation. It was published by the Miami Herald which is a left centered bias media. I'm wondering why a media like that would post false information on a left centered Government. At least my opinion is that the present Government is slightly left centered. I'm not throwing stones here, just a discussion.  The Miami Herald has a high rating for publishing factual data.

I just don't get why everything has to become political. Let's look at the ramifications of the RV Traveler. If any borders are closed it will severely restrict the RV Traveler. It gives me such amusement to look at the travel restrictions between the US and Canada and Mexico.  Recreational travel by vehicle is not permitted. Now think of that. You are in your RV and in many cases it IS your house and you cannot travel to those countries and they cannot travel to ours.  but 100's of people can get on an airplane and travel back and forth to those countries.  Personally, I think it is illogical.

Let's just stay safe and see what the future brings.

Edited by wayne77590
Spelling.

When closing borders was first discussed last spring it was quickly realized that the constitution doesn't generally permit state borders to be closed. That's why the states thinking about this quickly switched to enacting quarantines and Covid checkpoints instead. Now that the numbers are dropping for new infections I do not think that we'll see much serious discussion about this in the coming months.

Possibly what we'll start seeing more of is testing and/or vaccination required before getting on a plane though, as airlines get antsy to once again fill every seat on their planes and cram people tightly together.

The closest parallel to full time RV owners is the people in the UK who live in their narrow boats. I follow a few on their vlogs, and they've gone through a couple of full closures in the UK recently. They've managed okay, with rules that permit movement for the basics like emptying their holding tank, filling their fuel & water, getting groceries, etc. It looks like it's been a workable solution for them which could be implemented in any state here if it was necessary. Hopefully it won't be.

As I stated, it has been discussed with the Governor's of the states and yes, it is legal for a State to close its borders.

For although the courts have long held that the Constitution protects the right to travel, including from one state to another, that freedom has been subject to a considerable caveat, articulated byChief Justice Earl Warren in the Supreme Court’s 1965 decision in Zemel v. Rusk:

A quote from the Justice

“But that freedom does not mean that areas ravaged by flood, fire or pestilence cannot be quarantined when it can be demonstrated that unlimited travel to the area would directly and materially interfere with the safety and welfare of the area or the Nation as a whole.”

Not looking for an argument, just trying to rut out the facts.

My Reference

This one is with more information.

Edited by wayne77590
double word

Yeah - I can see that being applied to specific places with flood, fire, etc. But from what transpired this past spring I'd suggest that something has changed in the practicality of things as well as the politics of things. From what I can see, all the states which were considering closing the borders between states ended up opting for something less than a total closure. I could make a guess why they backed off, but it's really hard to know for certain sitting where we all sit what conversations took place behind closed doors in various statehouses.

The last 7 days, has been a wake up call for DW and I...."Going to Norway for Christmas and Sweden for New Year, is NOT ROMANTIC!!!" 

How about the Weather we are having. Here in North Texas it's 7 degrees and even as for down south in Harlingen it's only 27 and those seem to be the highs for today. But we are warm, have power and have lots of Hogan's Hero's recorded. Oh yea and Hot Chocolate too.

Herman 

4 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

How about the Weather we are having. Here in North Texas it's 7 degrees and even as for down south in Harlingen it's only 27 and those seem to be the highs for today. But we are warm, have power and have lots of Hogan's Hero's recorded. Oh yea and Hot Chocolate too.

Herman 

Add a little something to that hot chocolate and then you've got something. Hope you are all holding out with this little taste of real winter. It's tough up here even with all the preparation - can't imagine just having it thrust on you so suddenly or without preparation.

25 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Herman 

This is the first time I will say I am glad to be in PA and not TX! I have been reading about all of the power outages. What surprised me is how few people have back up generators. Storms are not uncommon for TX, are power outages uncommon with hurricanes in the southern part of the state?  Back up generators are pretty common up in this part of the US. We have the entire house on one and we have gas logs in fire place that do not require power to operate...just in case... Gas fire place in TX, I get that, no back up power, I struggle with. 

Edited by jleamont

Been in worse conditions then this before but didn't expect it here. Back in 1958, I, along with about 150 other man were snowed in at the hanger for 10 days (in Newfoundland). The one thing everyone ran to when we got back to the barracks were the showers.  :wacko:

At least this time we have clean clothes and working showers. (OMG I just realized that that was 63 years ago)

Herman

We spent the beginning of December 2013 in San Antonio TX due to an ICE storm that shut everything just north of us down. I made it down I-10 from Van Horn in an ice storm in our old motorhome. We were supposed to be on I-40, had to detour to I-10 while in CA to avoid the storms. 

Ran coach on high idle for 3 days without electricity here in Mineral Wells. What a nightmare.

Finally have power and minimal water

Our storage area would not be able to handle the Aqua Hot Elect and burner so we took her hear from the house and plugged into 60 Amp.  Two nights in a row the temperature went down to 19˚F.  I had the inside thermostat set at 62 and the basement Aqua Hot rheostat set to about 50.  I used a thermal gun on for the inside of the basement and when I checked, wet bay was 38, Aqua Hot bay 45, and opposite side of the MH below the half bath was 35. 

Parts of Texas City were without electric, but we never lost power.  Had some friends come over for dinner and showers - as the house is always on open invite any time of the year. So, we have had our two weeks of Winter. In another week or so it will be in the 70's. We have lost water pressure and the city put out a memorandum that do to the city wide water pressure below 20 psi that residents should boil water and let it cool before consumption

Stay safe, stlay warm.