DJTNANG

Roof blew off

So, we were headed to Glacier National from Great Falls today. The wind was howling and about 30 miles in the rear portion of our roof blew off!

it ripped the fiberglass and tore about a quarter of the roof off. 

We have it back in great falls. In my mind the proper fix is to have the whole roof replaced. We are in week one of a 5 week trip. Suggestions on a temp fix?

DJ

2004 Winnebago Vectra 

544A7C30-9753-4F77-9CED-C53637458D4B.jpeg

1698C5E0-1271-4952-8974-46D804C3A7B0.jpeg

I do a lot of my own repairs, but this one needs a member responding that has done roof work on a bigger scale. 

When I look at this - I see a complete removal and replacement.

I do see an area on the right side of the roof - at the rear of the awning that looks like there has been some water intrusion / leak.

I would keep a good tarp over the roof area, that will keep the area from getting wet !!!!!

Rich.

I would get either some thick 20 mil plastic or some of those cheap plastic 4x8 panels they sell at the Depot or Lowes and secure them with eternabond tape. That usually occurs when the side seam is improperly maintained and the sealant in the side channel goes bad and air gets under there.

Joes solution looks good, but if you cant get those folks in an emergency situation, you may want to look into flexseal (stuff seen on tv), I made a temporary repair 3 years ago with the spray on, still looks good. You can buy it by the gallon, and roll it on.

On Winnebagos, that type of damage generally starts at the roof seams that are supposed to be inspected and resealed frequently.  Once a small section lifts, the rest follows very quickly as wind gets under the FG.

Thanks everyone. We are going to have a temporary fix put on so we can get somewhere for a permanent one. I am leaning on having the entire roof replaced.

Looks like a good place for Gorilla Tape. Goes on fairly easy and will stick. I would put it on every inch of the tears. 

Also what happened to your A/C covers?

Herman

You can use mule hide silicone and titex polyester fabric.Install it at 2 gallons per 100 s f area.You can get from ABC SUPPLY near you.That would be a permanent fix.If you want to temp it use elastomeric coating and titex for now. The silicone starts off at a 20 year material warranty.I am a roofing contractor in phoenix.

Problem with Flexarmor or RVarmor, that I have on mine, is that, both are 2 to 3 months out.  They will come to you, that's the good news!  I had mine done at the FMCA Rally in Gillette, Wyoming.  July 17 & 18.  $140 a foot & LOVE IT.