rfsod48

Texas home

My wife and I are considering making a move to Texas, her disability is becoming an issue which is leading us to sell our MH. We want to leave Michigan because the weather. We realize that Texas summers are hotter and that brings up the question where would you live in Texas full time? Hill country or west Texas? We would not want to live in a large city.

Thanks for any imput.

West Texas although it is fairly dry it can get very hot during the summer. The hill country is not as bad as West Texas but still can get quite hot. There are a lot of folks that live in Texas go to New Mexico or Colorado during the hot summer's. 

We live in North Central Texas and are going to go to the mountains for the summer this next year.

But we welcome  all from the North 

Herman 

Roland --

Ten years ago I moved my then 85 year old parents from Rawlins, Wyoming to a very nice retirement center in Sugar Land, Texas (southwest of Houston).  The move was required as they had lost the ability to drive the 150 miles from Rawlins to Cheyenne, Wyoming for medical care (especially my father who used the VA Clinic for most of his care) during the frigid, snowy months of November through March.  While Sugar Land weather is much warmer than Wyoming, they simply "flipped" their "stay indoors" timing i.e. in Sugar Land enjoy the outdoors October - May then stay inside with air conditioning June - September.  

Sugar Land is a community of ~125,000 residents meaning it is big enough to have fantastic medical care, great dining, great shopping, etc. but still small enough that folks get to know their neighbors.  My parents had all they needed within a three mile radius of their retirement center -- great physicians, banks, grocery stores, pharmacies, fantastic Methodist hospital, VA Clinic, dining, etc.    If ever needed, the huge, world renowned Texas Medical Center is a relatively short 20 miles away from Sugar Land for specialty medical care.

And if the desire comes to enjoy "big city" offerings, Houston has a fantastic symphony, Broadway musicals, ballet, dramatic theater, professional sports, great dining, etc. 

Sugar Land, TX is a very nice community to consider -- not too big, not too small, with everything anyone would ever need.

My parents both passed within the last two years at age 93 but until then they were extremely happy during their eight year Sugar Land experience.

Thanks Herman and Mike! We are coming down this January and plan to start our search. We are expecting 3” of snow tomorrow so outdoor time will be limited now. I can tolerate heat better than cold and for my wife, she is indoors most of the time.

Dry heat is more comfortable than a coastal area with mucho humidity. Lived in San Angelo as a kid. Get in the shade with a bit of a breeze and you were alright. If we decided to spend our remaining years somewhere south to miss the often nasty winters in PA, I would prefer a dry climate. Always liked Texas/ living there as a kid and trucking through there when I could.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:40 AM, rfsod48 said:

.... where would you live in Texas full time? Hill country or west Texas? We would not want to live in a large city....

If those are your choices, for me that's a no brainer and I've been to both...Hill Country for sure, rolling countryside, some trees and a big city close by if you need it..  IMHO, W. Texas has no redeeming qualities.

Roland, I wouldn't tell someone I didn't like to live in West Texas.:D

You should definitely look at the hill country. I would also suggest one of the smaller towns around the Fort Worth area. This gives you acess to first tier medical facilities without living in the "big city". Starting with Denton to the north of town, Roam, Azle, Weatherford to the West. Cleburne to the South. To many to name all of them.

I think of Fredericksburg to be the heart of the hill country but there are many good small towns in that area. The good thing you are not to far from San Antonio. Is there any "must have" items you are looking for?

Good luck in your search and keep us informed.

Bill

Love the Hill Country Area and love San Antonio.

However, many Left Coast people are moving to Texas so in another 20 years or so it will be just like Calif. for lots of things.

Housing cost have increased in Texas but still cheaper than Calif.

We like central Texas, but the property values there have gone insane as well as the taxes.  Austin has grown and sucked in all of the nice smaller towns near it.   Our preference on is east Texas.  Lots of trees, hills and lakes and the property values are not insane yet.

Ken

Was not reccomending   San Angelo, but I do have fond memories of it. For ocean lovers, the Texas coast does have its advocates, but I notice that a number of members head for New Mexico or Colorado when the heat rolls in.😎

As a trucker, I always enjoyed the San Antonio area. The nearby Hil Country does have appeal, but I have talked to RVers from the area  staying in Lake City Colorado for the summer. In that area the most common license plate after Colorado seems to be Texas. 

We leave the Gulf Coast for 4 to 5 months in the Summer season.  This year we left Jun 10th and returned 1st week in October.

Just finished a Wikipedia Search on San Angelo. Was impressed. Still say dry heat is better than heat soaked humidity.  I remember two reservoirs and fishing . Lake Nasworthy and Lake Concho. Mild winters and  few storms. Roland and Linda are going to sell their RV, so a long summer trip north will not be possible.

At least worth a look! Oh! By the way! East Texans are snobs.😂

Byron, what are you basing your opinion on that east Texans are snobs? I would caution you, there are several of us on the forum and we don't take kindly to yankees making derogatory comments about us.🤷‍♂️

Brenda and I moved from west texas- Lubbock to Weatherford 27 years ago. Weatherford has such a huge growth pattern with new homes and no infrastructure enchancements. We selected a place in Mineral Wells, just 18 miles west. Has the largest Walmart that we have ever seen. Alice Walton designed that when she had a ranch here. No crowds- and a great view

DSC09740.JPG

Hey! I like Texas and most Texans. I was born in Alabama and raised mostly in the south including Texas, but I am serious when I say that dry heat is easier for me to deal with.

My dad retired from the Air Force in 1965 and lived the next 46 years in humid Florida. Don't know how he did it. He usually wore cowboy boots while there. Heat and humidity many months out of the year kinda like coastal Texas. Could not see myself getting used to it.

Guess I better take my membership tag off of the ladder.😎

We have found most all Texans to be friendly, just some are richer than most and a little less likely to be as friendly. We do not like high humidity which leaves out Gulf coast and Florida. We know Hill country will be hot but we can deal with that better than Michigan winter.

In Texas we can give you any kind of weather you want. Hot, warm, freezing, cool, humid and dry. Sometimes all in the same place. 

I quote Indiana Jones The Last Crusade, "Choose Wisely My Son".

Herman 

Erniee and herman are right. Just pay attention to where you buy and don't buy someplace in a riverbottom just because it is dry right now.:D The outher phrase is "if you don't like the weather just wait a little because it will change.

Bill

We have the same saying in Michigan, wait ten minutes and the weather will change. The Great Lakes have a dramatic effect on our weather.

4 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

We have the same saying in Michigan, wait ten minutes and the weather will change. The Great Lakes have a dramatic effect on our weather.

Come on down you will feel right at home.:D

Bill