Jump to content
RATTLER

Tire age

Recommended Posts

               I am in the market for 6 new tires. I contacted the local Michelin dealer from the FMCA Tire program list and spoke to the manager about my needs. My Motorcoach is a 2015 with 2014 tires on it. Dry rot is setting in. When I asked the dealer manager about the age of the tires I would be getting, he said there was no way for him to find out. I would get what was sent from their Houston warehouse. He said I have a unusual tire size (235/80R 22.5) and they probable only make them in lots so I might get 6 month to 24 month old tires. My question - What age do most of y'all get when you buy tires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattler, Welcome to the FMCA Forums! 

The last tires I bought were only 4 weeks old. Personally I wouldn't go longer than 3 months. If the 6 month window is true I guess you wouldn't have many options other than trying a different manufacture. 

Are you sure that is the correct size tire (sticker inside the coach displays the 235/80R22.5)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RATTLER.  Welcome to the Forum!

I have had 295's Michelin's, 8 & 6, 295's with 2,  315 Steer tires  also Michelin...dry rot after 4 1/2 years.  Now I have 315 (8) BFGoodrich!  Under 90 days old is my benchmark, if it's more than that, get a discount...2 years old? No thanks!

Thru FMCA Fleet, we get a discount on Michelin, BFG, Continental and Hancook, they are all good tires!  I think Continental has 235, if not then 245's may be Ok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to find a dealer who will go out of his way to call the warehouse and specifically ask for the date codes of the 6 newest tires he has in your size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RATTLER said:

               I am in the market for 6 new tires. I contacted the local Michelin dealer from the FMCA Tire program list and spoke to the manager about my needs. My Motorcoach is a 2015 with 2014 tires on it. Dry rot is setting in. When I asked the dealer manager about the age of the tires I would be getting, he said there was no way for him to find out. I would get what was sent from their Houston warehouse. He said I have a unusual tire size (235/80R 22.5) and they probable only make them in lots so I might get 6 month to 24 month old tires. My question - What age do most of y'all get when you buy tires?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out switching to 255/70R22.5 tires  They are very close to your tire size, and readily available from different tire mfgrs., virtually all will be less expensive than Michelin, and IMO perform just as well. When I joined FMCA, their tire webpage had a statement to check with Michelin dealers before  using their discounting, as some dealers would sell for less without using the program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattler --

Welcome to the forum!  There are many very good, very knowledgeable forum members will to provide help anytime.

Also, welcome to the "club" of Michelin tire owners who have experienced premature aging / sidewall cracking of those tires.   This past August I had to replace 4-1/2 year old OEM Michelin X2E+ tires that developed sidewall cracking.  I purchased a set of Hankook AH37 Tires as a substantially lower price  than Michelin tires using FMCA Tire Discount Program.  With about 4,000 miles of use, I've been very please with the Hankook tires.

A quick Google search of your tire size reveals that Michelin is the only (?) manufacturer your 235/80R22.5 tires per Tire Rack and Simple Tire websites -->  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=XRV&partnum=38R25XRV --> https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=235&ratio=80&rim=22.5&zip=77007

As Ray suggested, changing to a slightly different tire, might be an option for you.s

To achieve better help from the forum, what is the model year, manufacturer, model type of your motorhome ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattler --

Here is a "tool" to compare tires sizes that may be helpful in your search --> https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-80r22.5-255-70r22.5

A very reputable, very knowledgeable tire dealer will need to provide advise on an alternate, more common tire size, if one is available.  Otherwise it appears Michelin is your only choice.

If you let the forum know where you are located there will likely be some members who can offer suggestions for a good tire dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before considering the 255/70R22.5 you will need to verify that your wheels have enough minimum dual spacing in the rear (11.6" vs 10.3") and that the wider tire will not interfere with body or suspension components on sharp turns in the front.

Assume you have the Ford F53 chassis (don't know which GVWR chassis). 

 

You might ask if any others with that chassis if any have "upsized".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where we run into problems all the time..since the OP did not list the type and model of his coach in the beginning, we assumed it was a DP, not a F-53 Gas coach!  BIG difference!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears many of us have had problems with Michelins cracking.  Mine occurred at five and a half years.  I don't want them even with an FMCA discount....also, the discounted MIchelins will be higher than most others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FIVE said:

It appears many of us have had problems with Michelins cracking.  Mine occurred at five and a half years.  I don't want them even with an FMCA discount....also, the discounted MIchelins will be higher than most others.

I also steer clear of Michelin tires. Ever since I saw their guidelines about how much cracking was considered "normal" and "safe" I've questioned their ability to make tires. Michelin even has a chart out to help figure out if their tires are too cracked for use. I'd rather they spent some effort making tires which would hold up better to ozone instead of just providing a chart. Kind of like when the local road department posts a sign about a rough road instead of actually fixing the road.

I've got Firestone tires which are about to be replaced. They are 8 years + old, and they show virtually zero cracking. I've never seen a set of Michelin tires which could go this long without cracking, sometimes seriously.

All that said, regarding the tires in question here. I've read many accounts of dealers who gladly contacted the warehouse to confirm the age of the tires being sent over, and many who were happy to direct the warehouse to only send new tires. If your dealer wants you to spin the wheel and take your chances, I'd find another dealer.

You can even order tires online from a few reputable places, and then have them installed locally.

Of course, if your dealer wants to pro-rate the tires to account for the older manufacturing dates and provide a suitable discount, it might be a way to save a few bucks in the short run.

Ozone Chart.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Before considering the 255/70R22.5 you will need to verify that your wheels have enough minimum dual spacing in the rear (11.6" vs 10.3") and that the wider tire will not interfere with body or suspension components on sharp turns in the front.

Assume you have the Ford F53 chassis (don't know which GVWR chassis). 

 

You might ask if any others with that chassis if any have "upsized".

 

Good point about width,I forgot. This includes determining if his present rims are wide enough for the increased tire width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard --

The image you provided is fantastic!  Did you get it from Michelin?   The 4-1/2 year old Michelin XZE2+ tires I replaced this past August 2019 had sidewall cracking looking like the two lower "acceptable" images.   The engineer in me didn't like seeing that degradation which prompted me to purchase my new set of six Hankook AH37 tires through FMCA's Tire Discount program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

Richard --

The image you provided is fantastic!  Did you get it from Michelin?   The 4-1/2 year old Michelin XZE2+ tires I replaced this past August 2019 had sidewall cracking looking like the two lower "acceptable" images.   The engineer in me didn't like seeing that degradation which prompted me to purchase my new set of six Hankook AH37 tires through FMCA's Tire Discount program.

That image came directly from the information Michelin has available online. I believe that it's in their printed literature as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am looking at replacing timed out Goodyear GS670 255/R70 22.5 tires and was looking at the Hankook pricing by FMCA.  Walmart is right now offering that same tire for $274.41 ea.  I called a local Walmart store in my area that has a Tire Dept.  The lady I spoke to said they couldn’t confirm or guarantee DOT dates, but said I could refuse the order once shipped to the store and they would ship back @ no charge.  The same tire shop that is FMCA approved said they would mount the Walmart tires.  I just have to get them there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome jerryfw!

Not sure I understand the question. If the Walmart can get the tires, and will not make you take them if the dates are old, why not just have them install the tires?

If the Walmart can't get them installed, and their price is better than a dealer which has the FMCA discount, then you can have them installed anywhere that has the facilities. It wouldn't have to be a dealer that handles the FMCA discount, since you won't be using the discount. Or am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your not alone Richard, Wall Mart will install any tire they sell.  Would I have them do it? Not on a 45' DP, but I have had it done on 2 Gas unit's and had no problems with them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jerryfw said:

I too am looking at replacing timed out Goodyear GS670 255/R70 22.5 tires and was looking at the Hankook pricing by FMCA.  Walmart is right now offering that same tire for $274.41 ea.  I called a local Walmart store in my area that has a Tire Dept.  The lady I spoke to said they couldn’t confirm or guarantee DOT dates, but said I could refuse the order once shipped to the store and they would ship back @ no charge.  The same tire shop that is FMCA approved said they would mount the Walmart tires.  I just have to get them there.

I would make shure you get the right load range Hankook tires. By the way welcome to the forum. Have you asked the tire shop if they will match the Walmart price? 

I am actually surprised that Walmart is selling any 19" or 22.5" tires. When I asked Sam's and Walmart about tires for  my coach they said the didn't have the equipment to change them even if I took them off and brought them in. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...