jbarringer

Headlights not bright

jbarringer,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

First thing I would do is check voltage at the headlights and compare that with voltage at the chassis battery. Do this with the engine running so you get a true picture of voltage while driving.

If over 1/2 a volt lower at the lights, we can suggest a solution that will cost less than $20.

Another problem, would be your speed...you can out drive your field of vision!  Make sure your lights are set at proper elevation, in my old coach the low beam was set way low and high was opposite!

Like Brett, I would guess you have low voltage at light.

When I measured the voltage at my headlights, I had a 2 volt drop between them and the chassis battery.  I wired the original wires to the headlights to the coil of a relay that provided battery power directly to the headlights.  Also, make sure the headlight ground is good.  I ran a wire directly off the negative post of the battery to the headlights to make sure there wasn't any drop in voltage caused by a faulty ground connection.  All the autoparts stores stock the relays but you can get them cheaper online.

Yup,  original wires to "close" a relay that supplies voltage directly from battery (with fuse at battery).

Even a one volt increase makes a LOT of difference in illumination.

Been there, done that.

jbarringer --

First, welcome to the Forum!  There are a many fantastic, very knowledgeable forum members willing to provide help anytime!

When I purchased my new-to-me 2016 Ventana LE ten months ago, I too had "dim" headlights and reverted to using my fog lights to help illuminate roadways.   My problem was the headlights were "aimed" much too high!   While I had the Ventana at Houston Cummins Coach care for routine maintenance work, I told them about my dim headlights.  Cummins technician is the one who found the headlights were aimed much too high.   After he adjusted the headlights to the proper angles, the "dim-ness" went away.   Additionally, I had Cummins replace the OEM bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs to somewhat increase brightness.

Again, the primary improvement in headlight brightness / road illumination was getting the headlights "set" at the proper angles which should be the first, simple "fix" attempted.

j, as has been said before Welcome to the Forum. 

Being a 2012, what are the conditions of your lens. Are they cloudy? If so they will over time dim your lights. 

Herman 

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I’m taking my coach in next month to the dealer for a summary and will let you know how it turns out. So thankful for the FMCA forum.  

A factor most do not consider is the difference in viewing angle. In an auto/pickup your eyes are at most 3' above the headlamps, in a MH your eyes are about 6' above the headlamps.This means in a MH the driver is looking down on the low beam lighting instead of looking ahead with the light beam.  IMO the best solution has already been stated by Carl, slow down at night.

Yes insufficient wire size is a problem. My '02 Chevy dually was issued a TSB to replace the headlamp wiring harness for this reason, which included a relay.

One of the two RVs we have (don't ask -- I'm waiting for the market to revive) is a 1999 Itasca Sunflyer.  Dim headlights turned out to be fogging inside the pods.  Never mind the trouble and luck in finding those odd-shaped replacements.  We got them and had them installed.  I removed the bulbs from the old ones, poured in a non-viscous industrial cleaner that was in the garage when we bought the house, added some water, sloshed it around, then blew them out with a garden hose/nozzle upside down until the water was clear.  Wallah!  I've got  a couple spare pods to use if one of the new ones is slain by road debris. 

2 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

One of the two RVs we have

Where are you located? I would start trying to sell some of your excess inventory now. RV sales look to be at a real high. 

When looking for lights try googling the numbers cast into the lense to see what they came from.

Bill

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 7:48 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Where are you located? I would start trying to sell some of your excess inventory now. RV sales look to be at a real high. 

When looking for lights try googling the numbers cast into the lense to see what they came from.

Bill

RV sales UP ? ? ?   I'm surprised.  I had heard Arizona dealers have raised prices and stiffened negotiating but I haven't noticed an uptic here -- Pensacola -- but I haven't been looking, either.  I shall. 

I googled the number off of my 2002 Monaco Dynasty head lamps and found them to be off a 1998 BMW 528 I. got a set off the internet for $129.00. Monaco wanted $398.00 for one. Is helps to shop.

Maguire's headlight restoration  kit will work wonders if done right.

Herman

5 hours ago, UrbanHermit said:

RV sales UP ? ? ?   I'm surprised.  I had heard Arizona dealers have raised prices and stiffened negotiating but I haven't noticed an up tic here -- Pensacola -- but I haven't been looking, either.  I shall.

It is intersting to look at the NIRVC website. https://www.nirvc.com/Sales  I know they sold 50 RVs last mounth.

Bill

When the price of any item goes up, it means Demand is high, Supply is short.  The people who was born between 1945-47 are retired or retiring, also the ones who are in high tech jobs have a lot of disposable money and now want to travel by RV or Boat.

Flip side is, do they want a 21 year old coach?  As apposed  to 10 year old, high end, DP?  Or a new gas/DP?

Friends, we are drifting off of the original topic, headlights not bright.

Please stay focused. Create another topic if you want to discuss RV sales.

Thank you

I started a new thread on headlights  too dim,  several months ago. You now have access to LED headlights in almost any shape. They require much lower current, meaning that those smaller wire sizes (higher gauge) in number should be adequate.

9 hours ago, manholt said:

A year late but useful info. Thanks!

🥵  As I said, late to the party . . .  I wan't here last year, either.