jon48

What is best practice when long term parked?

When parked (stored) for several months in a space that is level I see no need for using the hydraulic leveling jacks.  Is this a correct assumption or should they be extended anyway?

What about the air suspension?  Should the air be dumped or is it better to leave it alone since the leveling jacks are not used?

Tires on plastic or wood  and preferred off the ground 

asphalt and concrete suck the oils out of the tire  and sitting in one spot long term is not real good   

In the garage on cement, we use cardboard under tires!  Coach is on Jacks, when they are deployed the air is dumped automatically.  We also extend the slide out's. 

If your coach is stored outside, then don't deploy the slides.  If your on gravel, put down some pads for Jacks. Level? you got to have some slope to drain away moisture!  Run your generator every 30+/- days to exercise it under load.  Full tank of fuel, to prevent moisture build up.  If it's a diesel coach, try to take it out and run it for about 100 miles +/- once every couple of months!

Our MH is stored jacks down. This removes some weight from tires, allows the air bags to deflate-which they will eventually do anyway, and of course levels the coach JIC we want to run the refrigerator when preparing for a trip. Since our MH is in the RV garage when unused, slide is extended. I do not start the drive engine unless I can drive for at least 20 minutes to insure the motor oil is at operating temperature long enough to evaporate what moisture may condense in the crankcase. The genset is ran for 2 hrs/month at 1/2 load to drive moisture out of the windings per Onan owners manual.

Thanks all for your advise.  I thought I had read not to use the leveling jacks for long term storage.  But I cannot find that reference so I guess I misread.

@Manholt.  Thanks for comment on pads under jacks.

39 minutes ago, jon48 said:

Thanks all for your advise.  I thought I had read not to use the leveling jacks for long term storage.  But I cannot find that reference so I guess I misread.

@Manholt.  Thanks for comment on pads under jacks.

The one thing I recommend if you leave the jacks extended for extended time. Before retracting them you should wipe the shafts down with hydraulic fluid to clean and lubricate the shafts. This protects the seals from damage. Ok if you don't have any hydraulic fluid you can use WD-40. Also I recommend to exercise the jacks when you do decide to retract them, it wouldn't hurt to run them through a couple of cycles.

Bill

jon48,

One big issue regarding storage is the area you live or store the coach. 

Hot humid,  Coastal sea spray,  Dusty Southwest or snow and cold.

Rich. 

If inside:  Jacks down, slides out, pads under tires (I use ply wood), don't start it unless you're going to drive it, leave refer and W/D doors open and run the gen (under load) if you remember.  

This is now week six of working from home using a card table as my desk in a guest bedroom during the COVID-19 lock down of the Houston area.  It's also the longest time ever that an RV of any type that I've owned has sat unused -- five months and counting since the Texas A&M at LSU game on November 30, 2019 (what an enjoyable beat down of A&M that was)!    Since then I've done the following to keep the MH somewhat alive:

• 30-40 minute drive during which I ran the generator underload with roof A/Cs in heating or cooling mode every 4-6 weeks
  • Kept tires inflated to 125 psi
  • Kept connected to 120 volt shore power at the storage facility
  • Checked fluid levels
  • Avoiding great depression not getting to enjoy the MH

These are the things I haven't done but now am wondering if I should have done:

• Have not had wood or rubber "barriers" between tires and the 1" limestone gravel at the storage facility
  • Have not exercised slide-outs nor any thing else on the "coach" side of the MH
  • Left the residential type refrigerator "off"
  • Only water in the black water tank is what remains of the gallon of fresh water put in the tank after the A&M game -- wondering if I need to add more fresh water to prevent any residual "solids" from drying-out?
  • Haven't checked water level in conventional engine batteries.   Coach batteries are sealed AGM type.
  • Haven't avoided the great disappointment from not being able to enjoy the MH

Maybe come June enough of the Texas economy will have safely re-opened and the wife and I can enjoy a long weekend outing to the Texas Hill Country.  Until then, anything else I should be doing to keep the MH "healthy"?

As a secondary thought, I never imagined that a noon time walk around my neighborhood (which includes a stop at the mailbox) would become the excitement of the day!  Guess I now know why the dogs get so excited for a walk....

Mike, having been retired for about ten years, the wife for seven, not much has changed. That is except for not being able to go to Rallies and visit with friends.

I know folks will agree with me in saying "LET'S GO RVING!!!!"

(I know capitals and bold mean shouting)

Herman

8 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Mike, having been retired for about ten years, the wife for seven, not much has changed. That is except for not being able to go to Rallies and visit with friends.

I know folks will agree with me in saying "LET'S GO RVING!!!!"

(I know capitals and bold mean shouting)

Herman

Herman image.png.b775ef5554c8ed024337ba6c910e813f.png , I read on this or another RVing forum: "I feel like I'm 16 again, gas is cheap, and I'm grounded". The hardest thing on a diesel engine is non-use, they are designed to run under a heavy load. We need to get some wheel rolling!

Mike, lot's of RV's rolling in the wine country, on Hwy 16, 290, 281, 29...The blue bonnets are still blooming, not as bright as 2 weeks ago, being slowly replaced by Indian paint flowers.  $ weeks ago, we took the coach to Three Rivers, 180 miles, came back home Sunday.  The coach is leaving for Galveston in a week for 4 days, then we head to Alto, NM the 10th of May for 2 weeks!  My cataract  surgery has been post phoned for 8+ weeks!  We have to cancel our AIM Rally in MI (June 7).  Newmare, has cancelled our appointment in Nappanee IN. for after AIM. 

On the road or at the house, everything is the same in the coach!  At home, slides are out, Jacks are down on full HU, full fuel, empty gray/black tanks, 50-70% fresh water (70 to 90 gal. in a 145 gal tank)!  

ON THE ROAD AGAIN.

18 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

"LET'S GO RVING!!!!"

Replacing my air bags this weekend :wacko:, not quite ready yet....first chance WE'RE OUT OF HERE!!!!

On 4/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, fagnaml said:

This is now week six of working from home using a card table as my desk in a guest bedroom during the COVID-19 lock down of the Houston area.  It's also the longest time ever that an RV of any type that I've owned has sat unused -- five months and counting since the Texas A&M at LSU game on November 30, 2019 (what an enjoyable beat down of A&M that was)!    Since then I've done the following to keep the MH somewhat alive:

• 30-40 minute drive during which I ran the generator underload with roof A/Cs in heating or cooling mode every 4-6 weeks
  • Kept tires inflated to 125 psi
  • Kept connected to 120 volt shore power at the storage facility
  • Checked fluid levels
  • Avoiding great depression not getting to enjoy the MH

These are the things I haven't done but now am wondering if I should have done:

• Have not had wood or rubber "barriers" between tires and the 1" limestone gravel at the storage facility
  • Have not exercised slide-outs nor any thing else on the "coach" side of the MH
  • Left the residential type refrigerator "off"
  • Only water in the black water tank is what remains of the gallon of fresh water put in the tank after the A&M game -- wondering if I need to add more fresh water to prevent any residual "solids" from drying-out?
  • Haven't checked water level in conventional engine batteries.   Coach batteries are sealed AGM type.
  • Haven't avoided the great disappointment from not being able to enjoy the MH

Maybe come June enough of the Texas economy will have safely re-opened and the wife and I can enjoy a long weekend outing to the Texas Hill Country.  Until then, anything else I should be doing to keep the MH "healthy"?

As a secondary thought, I never imagined that a noon time walk around my neighborhood (which includes a stop at the mailbox) would become the excitement of the day!  Guess I now know why the dogs get so excited for a walk....

I would not worry about a wood or rubber "barrier" under the tires if you are on limestone gravel..  Just be sure the gravel is never under water i.e. tires sits in or on a wet surfact for days at a time.. To decrease tendancy for developing a "Flat Spot" on the tire tread. you can either go out for a drive or at least inflate ti tire sidewall pressure.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:26 PM, fagnaml said:

Haven't avoided the great disappointment from not being able to enjoy the MH

Tell me about it! I may have to make a run to Coffee Creek for a shake down. Now if they would take the severe weather out of the forecast for a couple days. 

I made plywood  pads for under the tires.