royclem

Looking for Wireless Router

I am looking for wireless connection for my laptop in my RV. I checked online, and the ones mentioned here on the Forums, and we're not able to use in the areas I travel -- mainly East coast Main to Florida.

I did find one that works practically anywhere in the United States -- it's Straight Talk WiFi Hot Spot at Walmart. Does anyone have input on this? I'd like to learn as much as I can about WiFi and using it while traveling in the U.S. What I mean is, does it plug in to AC power and does it have to plug in to the laptop?

And, do I need an antenna and relay box, or just the hot spot?

I'm not very technical when using computers.

Roy,

I think you are looking for a MIFI, which is a little device provided by ATT, Verison, or other carriers. It connects via their networks to DSL. I use the ATT MiFi when we are on the road.

It is a little smaller than a hockey puck and you connect to it wirelessly from your computer(s). The thing to check on is the cell carrier you have when up in Maine. My ATT had some weak spots in NH. For MASS and on down South I never had a Problem with ATT. The device can stand alone and just needs to be charged once in a while, or it can be hooked up to USB port.

Mifi will provide you with 4G coverage and when 4G is not availalbe it may drop down to EDGE coverage, which is slow in comaparison but still adequate for email and some browsing.

We travel to Central MA, E. Brookfield, to visit my brother and I have connectivity there with ATT.

I have the Verizon Mifi and it works great from Michigan to Florida. We use the monthly plan when not at home. 10GB for $90. or 3GB for $60, all at 4g speed.

We have the Verizon MiFi. It has worked almost every place we've been in about 30 states and we will try more this summer. It cost $50 month for 5 gig and we dropped our home internet connection and just use the MiFi.

I use my iPhone 6 as a hot spot to connect my computer to the internet. Most of my usage is email stocks etc. I have 8gb available but usually only use 1.5gb. Hope this helps.

I tether my Galaxy 5s (ATT)

4 smart phones and a tablet. 10 gig, $190 w/tax

No problems, one bill, all the service I need

You can receive calls and txt while tethered

If no ATT I have a satellite back-up (MotoSat/Hughes-net)

When we went to Smartphones, the hotspot replaced the cradlepoint. I can connect up to 8 devices using our HTC One Hotspot.

Pulled the plug on DTV 2 years ago.

We use the hotspot with 2 smartphones, 2 laptops, tablet, and BluRay DVD Player. And a wireless printer.

We Stream a lot of movies and TV episodes through the Bluray from Vudu, Amazon, etc., using the hotspot.

our plan is 40g which has proven to be enough for our monthly use. This month viewed 2 seasons of SOA and a few movies. Our data turns over Sunday, and still have 3g remaining for 2 days.

$160 monthly ATT, oops, after the 15% Vets Discount.

Our primary phone, internet, TV viewing, etc is through our Hotspot.

When traveling, we use a Wilson booster for low signal areas. Have not been without service anywhere we have traveled, East, West and in Between,,,,,yet!

The 3g's we didn't use was carried over to use during this billing period.

Roy,

We have AT&T with their Family Plan. We have two phones with unlimited calling and text with10 gb Data. Each phone is $15.00 each and the 10 gb Data is $100.00 for $130.00 plus taxes and before Veterans Discount. AT&T has just added Data Rollover to their plan. I know that unused data rolls over to the next month but I don't know if it accumulates each month or just carries over to the next month. With this setup and our smart phones we use our smart phones as hot spots and can get on line anywhere we can receive a signal.

The device that you get from your carrier will cost you an additional $20.00 / month because it is another phone line you have, That is something they wont tell you until you ask.

Herman

I use Verizon MIFI at home and on the road. I have not found many places where it doesn't work well. Ran a speed test last weekend, was pulling 17 meg down, and 17 meg up, I have 10 meg fiber at the office, and it doesn't download or upload as fast as MYFY, of course it is unlimited data, as opposed to 6 gig on myfy.

We have one iPhone on Verizon and one iPhone on ATT. One will usually work better as a hot spot than the other depending on location. Verizon is essentially useless where we are now either for voice or data while ATT works reasonably well for both. It has been our experience that the reverse may be true at our next location.

In general this is like other posts where the best answer is like asking who makes the best hamburger. Whataburger gets my vote in that category but as far as router, it boils down to whatever works for you.

If you have a smart phone, you can use that as a "hot spot" or in other words your own mifi, wireless connection. you need to go into settings to set it up. You will then share the data with your phone.

I have a smartphone through Verizon. My hotspot is PDANET/FoxFi. This allows me to bypass the Verizon hotspot feature.

By paying full retail price for the phone, I am able to keep my old "unlimited data" plan. This is pretty sweet since I download a lot of movies and tv shows to watch later on the tube while traveling. The total monthly bill is $140.

The trick with Verizon is that you have to pay retail for your phone. Once you change to their contract, your're done. You can't go back.

We use Verizon for smartphones and data. Until last month we used their jetpack and it worked fine from Maine to Florida. We don't watch TV or movies so 4 GB worked fine. Recently we went in to Verizon and found out we could lower our bill if we used a their tablet as a hot spot so we now have a tablet which I use more than my laptop and our bill also dropped and we now have 10 GB. Verizon has always been very reliable for us.

After putting up with the resort wifi for a month I pick up a cable box from Time Warner Cable. Runs up to 15G unlimited and cost $52 a month. I install myself in the basement and it wifi two computers, two phones, two tv's. I just turn it in before I leave and they will refund the time not used.

We also use a Smartphone as a hotspot. Works well enough to Chromecast to one of our TVs in the coach.

If you want something that works good I would recommend a Alfa AWUSO36H 1000mW USB + 16dBi Yagi antenna + 5m LMR-200 extension cable total cost $60.00. This is sold by Rockland

sales@rockland.com I am using one as we talk .

I am looking for wireless connection for my laptop in my RV. I checked online, and the ones mentioned here on the Forums, and we're not able to use in the areas I travel -- mainly East coast Main to Florida.

I did find one that works practically anywhere in the United States -- it's Straight Talk WiFi Hot Spot at Walmart. Does anyone have input on this? I'd like to learn as much as I can about WiFi and using it while traveling in the U.S. What I mean is, does it plug in to AC power and does it have to plug in to the laptop?

And, do I need an antenna and relay box, or just the hot spot?

I'm not very technical when using computers.

There's a huge difference between the types of mobile internet available. We made a document that outlines the differences here: http://bit.ly/1MuFij8

Obviously MaxxFi is my project, however the information contained in that link apply to any of the mobile devices out there and I think it will help you understand the differences between them. The only exception is the couple paragraphs at the bottom that apply only to MaxxFi.