Sign in to follow this  
ksteingrube

Good Year vs Michelin

I am having a real issue with Michelin tires. I live in Las Vegas and there are 3 tire companies that carry Michelin tires. The problem is they all tell me they are back ordered and have been for awhile. They have no idea when they will get any. I have a 2008 Monaco 40 ft that came with Good Year tires and have serviced us well. I just don't know seeing I can't get Michelin tires which seems to be the tire to get, if I should just settle for Good Year that are in stock. My other issue is we are going on a trip next week that we can't get out of and because of the extreme heat here we are afraid that our old tires might just fly apart. Can anyone give me a kind of comparison on the Good Year vs Michelin.

If all else fails, call ahead to dealers on your trip route to see if they have your tires in stock. Buy them on the road.

Don

I was thinking the same thing, also Monaco seemed to think that Goodyear was good enough, have lasted 7 plus years?

Just finished inspecting my G670 Goodyear's. Fronts (2612) and they were in great shape with approx. 15,000 miles. Rears are (0908) and look great also. I inspected the side walls and between the treads. Not a crack one. However since they are 7 years old I will inspect them regularly. When I purchased the drive tires they had gone up $180.00 per tire from the rears.

When I need to replace them again I will check with the FMCA Michelin Tire Program. I do receive great pricing from a friend that his family has been in the tire business in McKinney, Texas for over 50 years and is now with the forth generation working there.

Herman

Ksteingrube,

I recently ran into that same problem. Michelin's are not that readily available so I said the heck with it and ordered 6 TOYO 265/75R22.5 tires. The difference is that with the Michelin 255/80R22.5 at 60 mph the TOYO will be going 59.36 MPH. I just figured it would keep me from getting a ticket.

To calculate the tire size differences, try this link: Tire Size Calculator

My experience with Michelin availability is that they favor their bigger dealers first and why not. Last June everybody on this site said Michelin XRV and XZE tires were back ordered. I was able to get my XZEs in less than a week. however the dealer that I have used for years while in trucking is very large. At least 40 stores or maybe more. Can't imagine somebody that big in Vegas. I used Goodyear tires for years and would not hesitate to use them again. Just went with Michelins because they seemed the tire of choice by many.

I am having a real issue with Michelin tires. I live in Las Vegas and there are 3 tire companies that carry Michelin tires. The problem is they all tell me they are back ordered and have been for awhile. They have no idea when they will get any. I have a 2008 Monaco 40 ft that came with Good Year tires and have serviced us well. I just don't know seeing I can't get Michelin tires which seems to be the tire to get, if I should just settle for Good Year that are in stock. My other issue is we are going on a trip next week that we can't get out of and because of the extreme heat here we are afraid that our old tires might just fly apart. Can anyone give me a kind of comparison on the Good Year vs Michelin.

IMO

While I can't address tire availability from Michelin you need to remember that there are generally considered to be 3 Tiers of tire companies. Michelin, Bridgestone & Goodyear as #1 with the tires made & sold by these companies as being essentially the same ie Firestone & Dayton ~ Bridgestone, Kelly & Dunlop~ Goodyear and Goodrich & Uniroyal ~ Michelin.

Now there are some minor differences within a Corporation but many times the rubber compounds and reinforcement materials are identical. Tread designs may be a bit more advances in the Corporate brand and the top of the line tires may not have an equivalent in the 2nd brand but for most people you will not see a difference in performance.

#1 tier have their own tire stores with many hundred nationwide.

Now Tier #2 would be tires made by corporations that have their own tire plants. These would be companies like Toyo, Pirelli, and others seen on this list. They may not have any company stores and just depend on large tire distributors to market their tires.

3rd Tier would be companies that are not on the list above. These may actually be just sales companies the have other companies make lower cost product for them as "private Brand" , Sometimes the same tire is made for a number of importers with only a name-plate change in the mold to differentiate the "brand" These companies seldom have their own stores but sell their products through wholesalers.

Check the tire warranty and I think you can get a good feeling for the real quality of the tires. Are there lots of exceptions or is the warranty short is a tip off.

Now to your concern about your current tires:

You didn't offer your actual age of your tires or info on how you store your tires. Do you have a lot or a little extra load capacity based on actual individual tire position weights? Do you run a TPMS and have never run lower than what is needed to carry your actual load.

If concerned about road or ambient temperature just drop the speed down 5 or 10 mph. Don't run 70 when 60 will still get you there. Last Aug I drove Ohio - Redmond at 60 - 62 with no problem.

Can you increase your tire pressure?

Where are you headed? Have you checked to see if there is a large tire dealer at a future location that has tires for your RV in stock?

Thank you everyone for your information. Because I still have not heard from Michelin, we are going with Good Year. The dealer is giving me the tires for $10.00 less a tire than I could have gotten Michelin with the FMCA discount.

ksteingrube,

You wont be dissatisfied with the G670s. Also have your dealer ask Good Year if they have a rebate program in effect. On my last tires I got a $50.00 per tire from Good Year. It never hurts to ask.

Herman

Well I see things worked out and you have made a decision. For others that find themselves in a similar position I would offer some additional information

I would suggest you go to a Goodyear truck tire dealer and have the tires inspected. Let them know your concern about the tire age and current hot temp in Vegas. Let them know your actual scale weights (Go to a local truck scale location first so you have current info). There are a number around Vegas I'm sure) and your normal cold inflation. While there ask if they would confirm the accuracy of your pressure gauge. If a stick type +/- 5 is about what I would expect. If digital (better) +/- 2 would be good. If outside these numbers you need a new gauge. Check my blog on tire gauges and how to have a reliable "Master Gauge" of your own for less than $15.

The Goodyear tech be should be familiar with the Goodyear tires you have, so can offer first hand information on the condition of your tires.

Remember you can always get just the two fronts replaced as a failure there would be the greatest concern. With a TPM on the rear duals a failure would be less dramatic and you should get plenty of warning so you can safely pull over quickly before serious damage is done.

Thanks for the valuable input throughout this forum. We are new to RV'g. We just purchased a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40G and it had 6200 miles on Goodyear G670's with a 22/08 date code. The tires looked great inside and out; but felt more comfortable with new because of age of tires. We purchased via FMCA SIX Michelin ZXA Energy 275 70r22.5 and received tires within 5-6 days in Gainesville GA for $3900 (including balance, mounted, front end alignment, tax).

I kept two of the Goodyear's (wrapped in plastic and stacked in middle of Coach Basement)... The QUESTION is it over kill to carry two spares while traveling?

Thanks,

Ken and Rochelle

Ken,

Unless you are traveling WAY off the beaten path, two spares is likely one too many. We always carried one when we traveled in Mexico, as our size was not common down there. But, in over a quarter million miles, have never needed a spare. YES, I take good care of the tires and have a tire monitor system!

You should keep one for sure. We had a RF blow out last month. The first question Good Sam asked (after the "are you in a safe place" question), was "do you have a spare or do we need to send you a tire?" They sent one...$800 and a rim...$350. Didn't need the rim so we got a credit for that.

I too have been having problems getting Michelin XRV tires (235/80 22.5). In my conversations with dealers and Michelin, how come no one mentioned the XZE as an alternative?