ShawnH

Electric Outlets Not Working

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Thor Hurricane 34B. I'm having an issue with the outlets in the front of my coach, specifically the front passenger plug, the front TV plug, as well as the plug overhead on the passenger side. I have checked both of the GFI plugs in the kitchen and bathroom and reset them. None of the breakers have been tripped but I cycled through them to try and reset the circuit to no avail. Any help or ideas of what else to check would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Shawn

I believe each "slide-out" receives it's inverter power from a cord plugged into an outlet ... Is it possible that the electrical supply cord in the compartment below this slide has become unplugged from the outlet mounted in the ceiling of that basement compartment?

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Thor Hurricane 34B. I'm having an issue with the outlets in the front of my coach, specifically the front passenger plug, the front TV plug, as well as the plug overhead on the passenger side. I have checked both of the GFI plugs in the kitchen and bathroom and reset them. None of the breakers have been tripped but I cycled through them to try and reset the circuit to no avail. Any help or ideas of what else to check would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Hi Shawn

I ran into a similar problem on our 2006 Monaco Camelot. Others' suggestions to check "breakers" on inverter solved the issue for me --- one of the two our inverter's "pushbutton breakers" had popped. Depressing it energized the circuits for me. As I was told, "all" AC power is routed through the inverter.

Good Luck

Rudy

Hi Shawn

I ran into a similar problem on our 2006 Monaco Camelot. Others' suggestions to check "breakers" on inverter solved the issue for me --- one of the two our inverter's "pushbutton breakers" had popped. Depressing it energized the circuits for me. As I was told, "all" AC power is routed through the inverter.

Good Luck

Rudy

Thanks for the reply Rudy. I'll check that, it just started pouring though. Where was your inverter located? I've checked the manual but it does not give a location.

On our bus, there is a panel with circuit breakers just below the refrigerator facing... In it, there is a breaker for each of the two inverter out lines..

There are circuit breakers built into our inverter. I believe that is what Rudy is saying in his posting. You need to locate your inverter and/or instructions for inverter operation to locate those breakers. They are typically just buttons that you depress to reset. If you don't know where your inverter is located, contact Thor or one of their dealers for help in finding the inverter.

Shawn,

On many coaches, they will locate the inverter on the overhead in one of the compartments(bays). In most cases it is located on the drivers side close to the shore power receptacle or cable reel.

I believe that Motor Home manufactures have a meeting during the design phase, covering component location. They must have a pool set up for who can locate a vital component in the worst location. To date, the winner in my book was on the 1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder. A brilliant engineer put an inline fuse in taped up in a wiring harness under the dash. Can we get a standing ovation here? :wacko:

Herman

Only some of the 120 outlets in our 03 Phaeton are powered by the inverter and I did not know which ones. Never gave it a thought really. Always plugged into park power so why care?The generic manual doesn't tell you.

Recently I plugged an electric heater into a socket in front of the passenger seat and turned it on high since the front of the coach cooled off because it was a chilly autumn night. High draws 12.5 amps. I always wait awhile to check for overheating of the cord or plug when using a heavy draw like that. All OK so back to bed.

Later upon finally crawling out of bed I turned the Direct TV receiver and TV on. After a short time every thing up front went dead except the overhead socket on the bottom of cabinets behind the passenger seat. Checked the breaker panel under the fridge. All good. I don't know what made me check the inverter/charger breakers in the last outside compartment but one breaker was tripped.

Reset it with the space heater unplugged. Suddenly we had Direct TV again. Later I checked all 120 sockets with a handy tester that tells you if the plug is hot but also whether it is properly wired. Now I know the plugs not to use for a heavy load.

Motorhomes are an adventure!!

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I did some homework and I don't have an inverter... my 110 outlets only work when I'm plugged into shore power or running my generator. I did locate my power converter and it has what looks like another "fuse box" to the left of it. Unfortunately I'm parked where I can't put my rear bed slide out to access the panel. It's been raining for the last couple days straight here in Puerto Morelos, MX. My wife, daughter, and yellow lab just made the trek from Long Beach, CA over a month and a half, just trying to work on some of the issues that have come up through the course of the Adventure =) I'll keep everyone posted once I can access that panel. Thanks again!

Shawn

THANK YOU! Thank you!

The ground fault outlet in the galley tripped and I was able to reset it but there was no power re-stored to the TV in the lounge. I could unplug the TV and route the plug to an overhead outlet and the TV would work.

I searched the bus and read the electrical section of the manual many times and could not resolve my problem until I read about this issue in an iRV2.com forum. I located the inverter hidden away in the shore line compartment and managed to locate that magical reset button which I could only find if I stooped down to the ground. (Obviously the engineer who designs these things has no idea what it is like to be arthritic!) I am now enjoying my TV and my newly found knowledge.

It is likely I would not have discovered this information without iRV2.com. I spoke with repair places on the phone and no one knew where I could find the "reset" button even though several said it likely had something to do with the inverter, they did not know where I could find it and the reset.

Larry

Glad it all worked out for you! Problems occur mostly due to miss information and the coach not being built according to the electrical

schematic that's in your owners manual, if it's in your manual at all. That also applies to mechanical.

I had a Winnebago Tour, 07' that was built to 06' specs, even though it was built in July 07'!

Carl

Our inverter is buried deep in the heart of the basement compartment, center coach. To get to it I have to unload the largest storage compartment and then slide doors aside to get into the compartment where the inverter resides. Once there, the little red button is right on the front. After I did this once, I tried using the awning hook to solve the problem. Sure enough, I can slide the doors with the hook and then by twisting it, the pivot point on the door and the hook on the red button, I can reset the inverter without doing all the work to get to it.

Take that you nasty engineers (Xantrex) who couldn't put the reset button on the remote control panel above the entry steps inside my motor home! :D There must be a reason that the little red button has to be on the unit I suppose, but if that is the case then the inverter should be located in an easier to access location.

This is a perfect place to use a short stroke solenoid, you could mount it in a position that will push the reset, use a pair of wires which can be ran anywhere that you would like to be the reset point, add a momentary push button at that location, and of course apply the proper voltage to activate the solenoid.

"Take that you nasty engineers (Xantrex) who couldn't put the reset button on the remote control panel above the entry steps inside my motor home!"

"So I will do it for you." LOL

The biggest cause of a man and a woman to have an "argument" is due to logical thought. I'm thinking that the 'Engineers' of coaches are all woman! :wacko::rolleyes:

Carl

The biggest cause of a man and a woman to have an "argument" is due to logical thought. I'm thinking that the 'Engineers' of coaches are all

woman! :wacko::rolleyes:

Carl

For a while don't stand too close to Carl. :unsure::rolleyes:

I have a similar situation, with the section of outlets not working being in the kitchen plus the exterior outlet. Have GFI in the bath which is OK and all breakers check out OK. The is no GFI in the kitchen area, or at least I can't find it.

So I located the Inverter, only to discover it has been hard wired, with the breaker & GFI outlet removed. Now don't know what to do next.(Xantrex 1800 Invereter)!! Any advice will be appreciated.

You might find a Ground Fault outlet in the bin below that area where the outlets do not work. While another Ground Fault outlet should not be down stream from the first many coach manufacturers do it.

You might find a Ground Fault outlet in the bin below that area where the outlets do not work. While another Ground Fault outlet should not be down stream from the first many coach manufacturers do it.

Thanks rossboyer, thought your suggestion might be the answer. Unfortunately I could not locate a GFCI in any of the storage bins either. So still stuck. But tonight the RV park is having a fish fry/potluck where 3-4 electricians will be attending.Never like bothering people during their off time, but gonna do it anyway

Richard.

Look in the back of a cabinet, closes to an appliance. :wacko: I have seen them under the sink and in cabinet between microwave/refrigerator! <_<

For bathroom, I have had one inside the medicine cabinet!

Think outside of the box... :rolleyes:

Carl

Richard.

Look in the back of a cabinet, closes to an appliance. :wacko: I have seen them under the sink and in cabinet between microwave/refrigerator! <_<

For bathroom, I have had one inside the medicine cabinet!

Think outside of the box... :rolleyes:

Carl

Thanks, Carl. Have searched the area several times with no luck. But you are right, it's gotta be there!!

Richard,

From the outlet that works, how many outlets are down stream from it that do not work and what do you plug into them?

There is a possibility of a bad connection at the connection from the last box that works and or the input connection of the first box that does not work.

Coach manufactures use the push in connections instead of the screw connections for the wires. They are much faster to connect that way, but they can tend to loosen over time or corrosion forms between the wire and the retaining spring clip.

Rich.