eric@babin.com

We have Progressive.... may be overpriced?

Coach: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Our insurance way to high. (opinion)

We are paying $3,200/year.

Our driving record is clean.

Coach is based in Texas / North Dallas. (zip 75007)

Any recommendations for a better deal?

Eric...all depends on what you got covered & do you have replacement cost !  We need more information.

Call Miller Insurance, they advertise on the front forum page...great folks and a great job... Yes I think you maybe but as Carl says need more infol Hey what do we know, no matter we are just guessing anyway...

B

I have progress and for the last 10 years. Last year my 2008 MH was totaled by "Harvey." Progressive paid me what I paid for it.  Read your policy and ask if that is worth it. It sure was to us. 

In 2014 we were in Hot Springs, AR.  Hail storm bigger than golf balls put holes in the roof.  progressive paid out $19,000 for new roof with out batting an eye lash, so ask, is it good to have good insurance. 

Yes, it is expensive and it is there when you need it.  My money is staying with Progressive.

Wayne has some good points.  However, if you want to ''shop'' call Good Sam, they will do the research for you.  When Peter Lewis was head of Progressive, I refused to use them, however, he died in 2013.

I have Progressive insurance for my motorhome and vehicles and have been pleased with service and cost.  My motorhome insurance cost is $1,375 per year in Houston.  The value of your motorhome home ($235,000 on rvt.com) is three times the value of my motorhome ($70,000 on rvt.com) thus I would have guessed the "ball park" cost of your insurance would be about three times the cost of my insurance (your cost is actually 2.3 times my cost).   From this simple comparison, your insurance cost from Progressive looks reasonable.

Having said that, it is always worth shopping for the "best value" insurance available.   "Best value" for me is not always the lowest price insurance.  I have high appreciation for superb customer service and thus I when I do shop for insurance, I usually only look at insurance providers that have a good track record of exceptional customer service.   I expect to pay a bit more to get that level of customer service.

We also have Progressive with a declared value of $60,000 and our premium is about $1200/yr.

Given the fact that you're insuring a house with all the liability issues of a motor vehicle, and that you're insuring a motor vehicle with the value of a house, it doesn't sound out of bounds to me.

If you have a relationship with an independent insurance agent have them shop around for a better rate. If you don't have a relationship with an independent agent, that would be the first thing I'd recommend. There are lots of company-specific places to get quotes, but if you work with an independent agent they have the ability to compare different company's offerings and make recommendations based on your needs and not on the sales goals of a specific carrier.

We've been with the same agent for a over a decade and would never consider having a policy written directly from an insurance company again. When we had our accident last year, it was quite a blessing to have an agent on our side to help run interference with the carrier and work out a few problems.

I'd be interested to find out if you're able to find less expensive coverage with the same benefits as you have with Progressive.

I had Tobin Agency in Nj they handle nothing but RV insurance nationwide. When I bought my new coach in 2015 I called them for prices they said they would give me 3 quotes with companies they use. The quotes ranged from 2000 to 2500 a year all identical coverage including replacement cost coverage 170k value. The 2500 quote being from Progressive thru the Tobin Agency. Don’t know why but their commercial came on TV so I called direct , I figure I have nothing to lose told them exactly what I was looking for . I was quoted 1750 a year for the exact same policy glad I called signed right up and still with them today. Hopefully I never have to call for a claim.

49 minutes ago, Philc said:

I had Tobin Agency in Nj they handle nothing but RV insurance nationwide. When I bought my new coach in 2015 I called them for prices they said they would give me 3 quotes with companies they use. The quotes ranged from 2000 to 2500 a year all identical coverage including replacement cost coverage 170k value. The 2500 quote being from Progressive thru the Tobin Agency. Don’t know why but their commercial came on TV so I called direct , I figure I have nothing to lose told them exactly what I was looking for . I was quoted 1750 a year for the exact same policy glad I called signed right up and still with them today. Hopefully I never have to call for a claim.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. I do wonder if you presented that lower quote to the agent if they would have been able to match it. Odds are they'd rather have a tiny profit and a long-term customer than no customer at all.

One difference for us is that our agent handle our homeowner's policy, our auto policies, our RV policy, and our two business policies. My guess is that having one agency for all the different insurance policies makes them more willing to push to get us better rates. No data to back that up, but it's been my impression the couple of times I've done comparisons.

20 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. I do wonder if you presented that lower quote to the agent if they would have been able to match it. Odds are they'd rather have a tiny profit and a long-term customer than no customer at all.

One difference for us is that our agent handle our homeowner's policy, our auto policies, our RV policy, and our two business policies. My guess is that having one agency for all the different insurance policies makes them more willing to push to get us better rates. No data to back that up, but it's been my impression the couple of times I've done comparisons.

I had thought about doing that but there was such a difference in price that I didn’t bother. You would think after being a customer for several years they would give me a good price right off the bat. Progressive sends me flyers all the time to give me a package deal for all my different policies so I had them give me a number and they were completely out of the ballpark so they couldn’t get all my business. Wish  it would have worked I’d much rather write out one check a year than several.

I have Progressive. I didn't find many options for full time use, but will be checking again upon renewal. I have a Country Coach (value 80,000) and I pay 2,281 / year.

I have SAFECO through FMCA and last year I paid $1610 and my renewal is $1994 this year with no claims or changes. Holiday Rambler Scepter 42'.

For another point of reference, my Progressive premium increased from $1400 in October 2017 to $1700 this year with no claims or changes to the policy.  When I called Progressive, they stated the increase was necessary due to claims they had to pay associated with Hurricane Harvey and other storms along the Gulf Coast during the last year.    I haven't had time to price compare Progressive with other insurers.

Likewise, my house insurance premium increased this year due to Harvey even though I fortunately had no damage or claims from that storm. 

Mike, I cut mine in half, Progressive to State Farm, & better coverage! :wub:

My Galveston Island house, is the same...USSA!

We have Progressive for our car and motorcycle, but they were much higher for RV.  For the coverage we wanted (Florida residents) Good Sams set us up for just under $2,000 a year and Progressive was almost $3,000.  We were surprised they were that high because they have treated us good on our car/motorcycle policies for several years now.