wtbuck12

Tire pressure vs temp?

7 hours ago, manholt said:

RayIN.  Yes, I run a lower tire pressure when I'm off roading in the desert and mountains.  My Jeep tires hold 40 psi max cold, I run in the 12 psi to 20 psi depending on terrain!  When I get to pavement, I air up to 35 hot.

Made me remember someone on a different forum who was complaining that his tires on his new tires on a class A were blowing out. Found out he was lowering the air pressure the same way to run it on the beach. We need to ask "Tire Man" if that could cause a problem.

Bill

On 11/17/2020 at 9:24 AM, wildebill308 said:

Well actually that was a big part of the problem with the Ford Explorer from 1996-2000. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

That and a lot of pore design.

Bill

I read that article, sounds like more than enough blame for Firestone and Ford to share. The listed causes of the crashes are interesting. I found another website stating Ford widened the axle width after that was resolved.

Edited by rayin

I'm sure glad that I have air ride, smooth ride even with tires inflated to max. Or is there something wrong with my coach? LOL💤

11 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I'm sure glad that I have air ride, smooth ride even with tires inflated to max. Or is there something wrong with my coach? LOL💤

Ditto!

The only thing I notice is it slightly wanders if they are overinflated (i.e. set to MAX PSI). I top off my pressures to the MAX on the side wall when I park it for the year. One year I didn't think about it and took it on road test after doing some work in early spring. Couple the high pressures with the coach being completely empty and it felt a little squirrely but it didn't ride harsh. 

Bill, letting out half or more air in tires, only work if you have bead locks!  

I've been up 75 and had no problems in my AC Tradition after I got new shocks!  I have the same harsh ride on the King Aire, new shocks are on the wish list, but backordered...like everything else!  Same with my Fox 2.0 shocks for Jeep & hard top! 4-6 weeks! 🤬

8 hours ago, manholt said:

Hay, didn't see it but it had to be true it was on the internet.:o

What shocks are you looking at? I am thinking Koni FSD on the back and Koni EVO on the front. 

On 11/19/2020 at 6:37 AM, manholt said:

I've been up 75 and had no problems in my AC Tradition after I got new shocks!  I have the same harsh ride on the King Aire, new shocks are on the wish list, but backordered...like everything else!  Same with my Fox 2.0 shocks for Jeep & hard top! 4-6 weeks! 🤬

Yes this SARS-CoV-2 virus really messed up the supply chain, business's shut down for 4 months created a huge backlog. Cummins parts same-day delivery turned into 2 weeks at Cummins Great Plains.

One thing this thread has shown is that there are lots of guys out there with many years RVing....and don't know how to properly determine how much air to put in the tires.😄

Edited by five