markarivard

Replacement Tires, What to buy?

I bought a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH with original tires.  I want to replace them ASAP due to age.   The stock tires are Michelin 275/80R22.5.   What are you guys putting on your 35,000 lbs coaches?  

I started out planning to get Michelin X® LINE ENERGY Z ($556 through FMCA) and my local dealer is recommending Firestone FS561$425.   I am all about saving a few bucks, but not at the expense of ride safety and quality.  

What are you guys putting on your 35,000 lbs coaches?  

The set I bought two years ago were Firestone for $120 less per tire than Michelin/ FMCA price. But every locality is different, so shop around. 

1 hour ago, markarivard said:

I started out planning to get Michelin X® LINE ENERGY Z ($556 through FMCA) and my local dealer is recommending Firestone FS561$425.

I put Continentals on my last coach. Continental 275/80R22.5    HSR2 Eco Plus    5120850000   list price  $616.30   FMCA price $418.52   load range  H 

What load range are you running now?  

Bill

I just put my second set of FS561 tires on my coach. $3200 out the door. I have been very happy with these tires, good ride and less noise.

Roland

I also put the Firestone FS561 on my coach last spring and have been very pleased with them. I had them balanced (all 6) and they ride very smooth.

After walking through truck stop lots and observing steer tire brands I realized about15% were Sailun brand. I investigated online, Sailun truck tires are built the same as Michelin tires best I could determine, only in Vietnam. They are very popular in Canada and are becoming so in the U.S.A.

In 2017 I had 6 Sailun 275/75R22.5, LR H installed, balanced with weights, these are all-position tires. The total bill was $1,380. These tires perform just as well as these previous Goodyear G670's they replaced, it they  produce road noise I cannot detect it when driving.The warranty reads the same as Michelin.

Edited by rayin

13 minutes ago, rayin said:

After walking through truck stop lots and observing steer tire brands I realized about15% were Sailun brand. ...

I'm glad that the tires work for you, but I wouldn't use what I saw on trucks at a truck stop as a guiding light when choosing tires for my coach. The decisions made by truck drivers and/or trucking companies are based on a whole other set of conditions and decision points from what RV owners would use. They're concerned about price, price, and price. Next would be if the tires can last a long time. Comfort and ride quality, if considered at all, is way down on the list.

I'm not saying that Sailun tires (or any other tires) won't perform well for an RV owner, just that I'd want some data other than seeing them on trucks at a truck stop.

One thing I learned years ago about tires is that heat can cause lots of problems. On semis the tires, although caring a heaver load, have lots air circulating around them where on a motorhome they are more enclosed and hold the heat in more.

JMHO

Herman

All tires today have to meet or exceed, the same standards!  That said, its a matter of personal preference.  IMHO Michelin is over priced.    

Last June I put 8 Bridgestone tires on. My coach weighs 50,000+. I have run from Texas to east coast. 
make sure the date codes are current 

The first concern should be Are the new tires rated for equal or greater load capacity? Once you have a "YES" then you can continue shopping.

Note that there are a couple items in the Michelin line that are unique to Michelin. Either the specific size or the load capacity of the Michelin is a few pounds different than seen in other brands. This is because some Michelin tires were originally developed in Europe to metric dimensions and the conversion to Si (inches & pounds) requires some rounding so you need to be a smart shopper.

Also for load. Have you learned the "4 corner" weights of your coach? You definitely need to ensure the tire you select can support at least that much load and a +argin of 15% would be a good idea if possible.

FYI Firestone tires are made with the same or similar materials on the same equipment in the Bridgestone plant in Tenn. The sidewall will say "Made in USA"

On 1/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, markarivard said:

Ross... Are you happy with the Firestone FZ561 ride quality and stability while driving?    

Yes to all your questions. We have about 12,000 miles on them. The sane size tires as previously used Michelins have greater load rating, nit just rounding due to conversion from metric measurements. 

5 hours ago, manholt said:

All tires today have to meet or exceed, the same standards!  That said, its a matter of personal preference.  IMHO Michelin is over priced.    

They may all have to meet the same base standards but some companies certainly do it better than others, and some strive to exceed the standards.

We have a 2010 Tiffin , We put Continental  H  rated tires on . Just as good a ride as the Michelins + saved me about $ 400.00 on a set of 6 tires .