getaway

Canada And The Firearms Issue

We are planning a trip which will include some time in Canada and wondered how other folks have delt with the strict firearms regulations.

The easiest solution is to just leave everything behind........which is easy if you are not planning on doing anything in the lower 48 during the same trip. But if you are a fulltimer or will be traveling all the way from Georgia before getting th B.C. or Alberta, and you normally carry for wildlife and personal defense (shotgun or pistol), what do you do with it (them) before crossing into Canada?

I'd hate to give up having the protection while in the US just to visit Canada. I suppose you could rent a small storage locker near the border crossing but that would force you to reenter at the same point. How do the rest of you do it? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

George & Amy Petruff (and Tulip)

Hello George,

I am from the Northwest and have been full time for five years and have traveled into and through Canada many times…I would never consider taking a firearm into Canada. IN the lower 48…I travel with firearms, but when going into Canada I leave my firearms with a family member in the Northwest, and that may mean traveling several days or more without firearms.

Good Luck

John

George,

You might be able to work with a gun dealer to ship the item to another dealer close to where you would like to use it in the lower 48.

I have carried a long gun into Canada with the paper work needed before 9-11. We where on a trip to Alaska, where my son and I would be flying back into a remote area where there are more animals then people and the fact that if something is moving it is food as far as bears are concerned.

I liked the fact that if I needed to put something down this item would do it, no question about it and we knew it was sighted in, At long range if for some reason we injured something for safety sake - there is nothing worse then a large wounded animal in the wild.

Two big bears where in the area, but we did not to use the fire power over a 10 day period. They knew we where in the area. Both parties giving a little extra space to each other !!!

Sometimes one is not at the top of the food chain!

Rich.

George.

As a Life member of the NRA, I do have and do travel with a weapon in the lower 48. I have found that I do not need one in Canada, therefore I abide by their laws. When I go into Canada or Mexico, I leave my weapon or weapons with a gun smith in the area I cross, then I call same when I get ready to enter the US. He/she gives me a gun shop where I can pick it up and normally it goes Fed Ex! I always pre pay...never have had a problem.

Note: Make sure weapon is un loaded and do not leave any ammo in coach!!! :rolleyes: You can get more ammo later...I carry a clip.

Happy trails. :)

Just posted to an RV news site:

Two RVers from Alaska got hit hard in a Canadian court after being found guilty of attempting to smuggle firearms across the border at Osoyoos, British Columbia. James (66) and Janet Sumner were making the crossing on May 25, 2015, and both declared carrying a rifle — but no other weapons. An inspection found a handgun in a closet in their travel trailer. They were arrested and their rigs were impounded, along with their three dogs. One of the dogs got out of its kennel and attacked a handler and was subsequently shot in the leg. Since the couple were refused transit across Canada, they had to take a ferry home, pay impound fees, plus costs of shipping their trailer back to Alaska by barge. All "tolled," including court fines, impound fees, veterinary bills, ferry, and transport costs, the Sumners paid $18,940 for their trouble. [Editor: The 2016 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty St

This is why I have no desire to give Canada any of my tourist dollars....

Just posted to an RV news site:

Two RVers from Alaska got hit hard in a Canadian court after being found guilty of attempting to smuggle firearms across the border at Osoyoos, British Columbia. James (66) and Janet Sumner were making the crossing on May 25, 2015, and both declared carrying a rifle — but no other weapons. An inspection found a handgun in a closet in their travel trailer. They were arrested and their rigs were impounded, along with their three dogs. One of the dogs got out of its kennel and attacked a handler and was subsequently shot in the leg. Since the couple were refused transit across Canada, they had to take a ferry home, pay impound fees, plus costs of shipping their trailer back to Alaska by barge. All "tolled," including court fines, impound fees, veterinary bills, ferry, and transport costs, the Sumners paid $18,940 for their trouble. [Editor: The 2016 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty St

This is why I have no desire to give Canada any of my tourist dollars....

So they were doing something illegal and when caught they were made to pay a hefty price. Wow, that sound like a good idea to me. Maybe Canada has the right idea.

I have heard Carl's idea mentioned before. That is the way I would handle it. There are beautiful places to visit up there , but I have not seen all there is in the lower 48.

I was in Canada twice this last year each time I crossed I got hammered about "Did I have any firearms with me" One crossing was with the toad and wasn't to bad.

On one crossing I had a two hour shakedown of the coach. "You are from Texas where are your guns?" I told them that knowing Canadian laws on firearms I did not bring any. "Do you own Firearms" Yes but knowing Canadian laws on firearms I did not bring any.

The funny part is they had me run the slides out but never looked in the lower storage compartments.

No McBrian Canada does not have the right idea.

Bill

The Canadians handled the situation perfectly. The visitors clearly violated Canadian law. They obviously knew there were restrictions since they did declare the rifles, but they chose to not declare the handgun. Probably thought that declaring the rifles would make the border agents skip looking for any more guns. They gambled and they lost. They broke Canadian law and the Canadians acted properly as per Canadian law. Do you think that if the situation were reversed, the American Border agents would not do the same thing if someone tried to smuggle a handgun into the U.S.? I CERTAINLY HOPE THEY WOULD. I applaud the Canadians for enforcing their laws. I bet that a lot of American's reading this post will think twice before trying to sneak a handgun into Canada.

And if USCBP caught me bringing firearms into the USA without declaring them....I would be banned for life from entering the USA and spending a few nights in a USCBP hotel. It doesn't matter what it is, if in doubt-DECLARE IT and at worst they will allow you to export it. You can legally bring firearms into Canada, even handguns, with enough advance notice/permits. It is far easier to import guns to Canada than the other way around.

Having been to both Canada and Mexico many times, none in an RV, the easiest thing for me to do is not go to either of those places again. That's what I plan to do.

Crossing in May with the toad, this is the reason we will not bring the coach to Canada, I don't want to deal with the chance of them getting a wild hair to search the coach, that will waste my time. So we decided to take the Jeep over, they can search that it couldn't take more than 20 minutes. I have no desire to go to Mexico and Canada is a once and done as far as I am concerned.

I told the DW we will only go to the NY side of the falls, I stuck to my gun's! So as I am booking our trip to Canada.......lol :blink: ....

​I have lived about 15 minutes from the Canadian boarder for the last 62 years and I very seldom go to Canada,,, There's nothing there for me to see that I can't find in the good old USA.

80% of Canadians live within one hour of the US boarder and there's a reason for that,,,its to cold any further north.

I have found Canada too expensive to travel through with a motorhome,,, cold 8 months out of the year,,,the secondary roads not maintained as well as our's,,

Plus I'm sure half the country spends 6 months a year in Florida because even they can't bear the cold of their homeland.

However I will say that during World War II the Canadian troops were some of the bravest and fiercest soldiers ever to step on the battlefield and I'll always be in their debt for their service to the world.

Sorry to see so much animus toward Canada. We've traveled all over Canada, every province with the exception of Nunavut, in the motor home. There are still places I want to see and we'll get there sometime. We had a marvelous experience in Newfoundland and Labrador last summer. When we went to Alaska we spent a month getting through British Columbia Yukon and Northwest Territories. I love exploring different places and seeing new and different scenery. We have many Canadian friends that winter with us in the southern tip of Texas and they always welcome us for a short stay when we are in their neighborhood. Canada is on sale right now, the exchange rate with US dollars is incredibly in our favor. If you want to visit Canada, this is the year. If you don't want to visit Canada, that is your loss.

Crossing in May with the toad, this is the reason we will not bring the coach to Canada, I don't want to deal with the chance of them getting a wild hair to search the coach, that will waste my time. So we decided to take the Jeep over, they can search that it couldn't take more than 20 minutes. I have no desire to go to Mexico and Canada is a once and done as far as I am concerned.

I told the DW we will only go to the NY side of the falls, I stuck to my gun's! So as I am booking our trip to Canada.......lol :blink: ....

jleamont,

I doubt they will give you a problem in the Jeep after all you are from PA and not Texas. Don't forget your Passport.

The best part of the falls is on the Canadian side. Hear are a couple of "must do" things:

Ride Maid of the Mist http://www.maidofthemist.com/

You need to go hear for supper and stay late enough they turn on the lights on the falls. http://www.skylon.com/

One more. http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/whirlpool-aero-car.html

I am glad you stuck to your guns, enjoy your trip to Canada.

Here is a tip: When you buy or pay for something in Canada use a credit card NOT your debit card. The reason Debit will pay strait across. Use a credit card (call and tell them you will be out of the country) to make purchases. The credit card will pay them in Canadian dollars and bill you at the exchange rate. Tonight $100.00 US is worth $137.23 Canadian. That is a bigger difference than this summer.

Bill

I have to agree with Tom. Canada has a lot to offer and I will be going back. As long as your willing to recognize that it's a foreign country and like us, they have their own laws, then there is no problems!

Next time I go, I will leave DP in a nice resort and take day trips and overnight trips in toad, until I have seen an area and then move on to the next. I have a friend from Norway and for the past 6 years, he and DW have been seeing both the lower 48 and Canada that way. They leave the DP and toad in a rented garage, in Oregon when not in use.

Leave the guns here and also, don't try to bring a "liquor store" with you and you'll have no problems! Make sure there are no shells or bullets in coach or toad....

Carl

Bill and Carl, thank you for the recommendations. I can have no problem respecting their laws. We are excited and have Passports in hand waiting. Bill, I find it offensive how you were labeled because of the state on your license plate. I am glad you kept your cool, not sure I would have, depending on how I felt I might have laughed it off or told them how I really felt. I am hoping to do some duty free shopping while there and bring it back over. We will see. If it goes well we will probably go back to sight see at a later date.

I have traveled in Canada six times in the past three years in my coach, with Texas plates. I have never had my rig searched. I have always found the Canadian border personnel to be courteous. Never had one ask to enter my coach. On the other hand, when returning to the US, the BP has always done a walk-in of the coach. Usually looking in the refrigerator.

We have many Canadian friends from wintering in AZ. We have found the Canadians to be friendly, and parts of the terrain to be beautiful.

What kind of coach are you in? I have found over the years, it also depends on where you cross into Canada and return. Have had CBP in my coach, with dog. I had to remove mine first. Never had USBP in coach coming home from Mexico or Canada.

The "Darwin" award goes to the Mexican BP and it's Drug dog! Hello! I'm going to bring drugs into Mexico? 2 years ago. :wacko::D

Carl

You can always ship firearms from an FFL near your border entry point to one near exit point...depending on number of weapons, prices wouldn't break the bank.

Whatever you do don't try and sneak them across the border. Anyplace you can think to hide them, someone else already has...and most people have tells when being questioned. With the shipping method, you'd at least have them when you get back in the states.

Ssshhh! Pa is a big fire arms state. Loads of hunters, gun club members, and a concealed carry license is easy to get . No safety course and I mailed my application on a Tuesday to the York County Sherriff's Department. At best, they received it late Wednesday morning. I authorized email notification from the office. The following day (Thursday morning) I received notification of approval. Less than two days from mailing to approval (of course I do have an unusual name/quicker background check) and I have my concealed carry permit. We also have open carry in PA, but most citizens don't know that. In Stewartstown, a resident carried an AR-15 knockoff into a council meeting. They could not stop it. My local auto service center is owned by the former Mayor and he told me about it. Ssshhh!

So they were doing something illegal and when caught they were made to pay a hefty price. Wow, that sound like a good idea to me. Maybe Canada has the right idea.

I am a full timer, my coach is my home. I have nothing against the Canadian people or the country as a whole. I disagree with their gun laws. My feeling is there should be a method US citizens could travel from the lower USA to Alaska and vice versa by declaring their weapons at each boarder crossing. They should be able to be transported as they can in the USA (unloaded, locked in cases and separate from ammunition).

Not to accuse anyone specifically, but I am sure there are those that would be quick to accuse this couple of "smuggling" that have also snuck food into theaters, or booze on airplanes etc. Of course they will say it is not the same as guns, but really, someone trying to cover a few hundred miles with their legally owned possession hidden in a closet to avoid shipping a FFA paperwork costs are called smugglers? Then all the above is smuggling...look it up.

You don't like guns, fine. Don't buy one. But I haven't seen any reports of a motorhome or 5th wheel rolling up in the 'hood, or to a school, or a movie theater and selling guns out the window or running around shooting up the place.

Some of us carry and use our guns like others--for recreation, sport, and competition.

Don.

You forgot "self preservation".....I like me! :) I look at it this way, a weapon in a case and the ammo locked up?! Might as well carry a sling shot and rocks! :P:wacko:

Carl

Don.

You forgot "self preservation".....I like me! :) I look at it this way, a weapon in a case and the ammo locked up?! Might as well carry a sling shot and rocks! :P:wacko:

Carl

I didn't forget, it is equally important to me as well. I was just trying to suggest a suitable solution for someone wishing to drive "thru" Canada. If this were the case I would be happy to transit Canada and even spend my money along the way. But, since they think their way of life is superior to ours I will have to pass. I spent nearly 30 years to support and defend our Constitution including our 2nd Amendment right.