hermanmullins

Who, What, When, Where or Just Lets Talk

We did Mass Pike last summer, coming out of Canada...Insanity for one exit, then took the long way around.  We got on no Toll road going back to Texas..A lot more scenic and we still got back in 3 easy days!😂

I read somewhere that if you have a gas generator it will stall out if the coach has less than a 1/4 tank so you don't get stranded.

Well I have less than 1/4 and the genny stalls out. Maybe get out for a ride this weekend and fill er up then see how the genny runs before getting a fuel pump and filter.

Anyone heard about that 1/4 tank thingy?

Su

42 minutes ago, DBenoit said:

I read somewhere that if you have a gas generator it will stall out if the coach has less than a 1/4 tank so you don't get stranded.

Well I have less than 1/4 and the genny stalls out. Maybe get out for a ride this weekend and fill er up then see how the genny runs before getting a fuel pump and filter.

Anyone heard about that 1/4 tank thingy?

Sure,

A safety measure to insure that your engine doesn't run out of gas/fail to start because the generator left the tank bone dry.

Most all if not all coaches with gen. set will shut off the gen. any time the fuel goes below 1/4 so you will not run out of fuel.

Herman

(PS, I forgot to enter my post but Brett and I are both spot on.)

DB.  In a perfect world, Herman/Brett, is correct.  The Tradition, I had up to 2 days ago, took 127.7 gal. 2 years ago and I was on generator that never shut down, on a 150 gal fuel tank! :blink: Go figure!

I have a 130 gallon tank and the LOW FUEL light has been blinking and the generator had stopped. When I filled up it only took 70 gallons. I believe the unit work off of the gauge and we know how accurate motorhome fuel gauges are. 

It would be interesting to know if it works off the gauge or some kind of "gravity" feed. Seeing it's like spring here now I might

"try" and trace the fuel line and see where it feeds from, maybe. Or if I was me, lol, I'll just fill er up and try it.

I like to set the tripometer each time I fill up, on any coach, gives a much more accurate reading and after a while you can see the mileage & know when to look for fuel.

Herman, I will have fun with fuel, between here and Tucson...have no idea what this coach gets in mpg at various gears and speed, also there's the 200 gal. fuel tank! :ph34r:

15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I have a 130 gallon tank and the LOW FUEL light has been blinking and the generator had stopped. When I filled up it only took 70 gallons. I believe the unit work off of the gauge and we know how accurate motorhome fuel gauges are. 

Are you sure we don't have the same coach :D. I have the exact same problem. On my gauge between at 3/8 and 1/2 of a tank my generator shuts off. I stuck the tank the last time and found the gauge on the dash to be off by 3/8 of a tank, it reads higher than the actual level.  My Aquahot pulls from the bottom, it will run the tank dry.

46 minutes ago, jleamont said:

My Aquahot pulls from the bottom, it will run the tank dry.

I wonder if mine is the same? Sounds like some engineer thought it was better to have hot water as long as possible over worrying about getting to a fuel stop. 

Like Carl this will be a learning trip. I don't plan on letting it get below 1/2 tank. Unlike Carl I only have a 150 gal tank. How was I ever able to get around with only a 90 gal tank?

Bill

48 minutes ago, jleamont said:

My Aquahot pulls from the bottom, it will run the tank dry.

My Aquahot has never run long enough to know whether or not it will drain the tank. I have spent enough on it to have had it replaced and it still only operated for a short time then it will never run again. :wacko:

Thank goodness the electric works for hot water.

Herman 

Geez. I have a sissy fuel tank with a cap. of 80 gal. Funny thing is the Boston Whaler has a 90 gal. tank @ 21 ft

That an easy one. When you run out of fuel on the road. you can call or walk to the nearest service. When on the water I can think of only one person the could walk on water. And no I don't mean Carl.:rolleyes:

Herman 

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

My Aquahot has never run long enough to know whether or not it will drain the tank. I have spent enough on it to have had it replaced and it still only operated for a short time then it will never run again. :wacko:

Thank goodness the electric works for hot water.

Herman 

I pulled the generator and Aquahot pick up tubes out of the tank. Generator sat 4” from the bottom, Aquahot so deep I’m not sure how it pulls fuel without blocking off the tube from the bottom of the tank. 

Most fuel tubes for the generator are by design 1/4 off the bottom of the tank, this way no gauge is necessary, and these type systems do not lie about how full the tank really is.

With all the "stuff" being thrown around this may be appropriate. Look at the picture and tell me what is different from a "regular " package? I found this in a bay while moving stuff to the new coach.

Bill

thumbnail (3).jpg

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Purchased at Canadian Tire Store!  :rolleyes:

Strange place to buy toilet paper! I got mine at the trading post, over behind the canoe paddles. :D

Bill