HAYESFAMILY

Ditched my Towing and Roadside Assistance

So, I did it. I ditched my Roadside Assistance and couldn't be happier - THAT DOESNT MEAN THIS IS FOR EVERYONE but for us it works and may for someone else. 

So after reading ALLLLL of the horror stories about the various companies out there I decided to do some research and figure out how to keep cash in my pockets vs giving to someone who may or may not be there for my and my family. Here is what I came up with:

Good Sam was going to cost me $150 a year and If I need a tow once every 5 years that is about $750 for a tow that would general cost be maybe half that for the few miles they will tow me. 

As long as I have my towed, unless its Transmission or lower block issues I carry enough tools to go as far as ripping a cylinder head off if needed.

Tie issues - well if I blow one I got to pay for the tire anyway so there service charge for them coming out to do it isnt worth the 150 bucks a year to Good  Sam 

Here is the real kicker - THe Hartford who graciously insures us even after i sued them, HAD BETTER coverage for Motorhome/RV than Good sam with dedicated departments for us FOR FREE!!! Your heard me its included in the premium. I get Cash for interrupted trip, cash for lodging, rental car, Towing to the nearest qualified repair facility (No matter how far) AND ITS INCLUDED in my premium,

So check your insurance companies offerings cause I was paying for something i got for free ANYWAY!

Your paying for your insurance, so it isn't FREE.  I get your drift, got the same with State Farm & like you, do not have RA anymore!

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Your paying for your insurance, so it isn't FREE.  I get your drift, got the same with State Farm & like you, do not have RA anymore!

Your right but what I am not doing is paying for it 2xs.  

We are in the process of evaluating road hazard assistance/service again. Had it the first year for some cross country travel, I really question doing it again. I think I will check with my insurance carrier and see what they already offer. Thanks for the posting. 

I also have State Farm and roadside assistance is included.  I feel that know matter where I’m located, any road side assistance would be via a local tow/repair facility as the road assistance provider is just a dispatcher.  

Patrick