rcieslak67

Annual Insurance

Just received my renewal notice from Safeco insurance for our Holiday Rambler and it went up dramatically again. We started at $1610. went to $1910 last year and now the renewal this year is $2359.

All of this with no claims and a perfect driving record. Anyone else seeing these kinds of increases?

Edited by rcieslak67
Mispelled

I have a newer Leprechaun (registered in Michigan) and it is less than $1000 a year.  It has gone up each year but nothing drastic like what you have experienced. 

You're already a member of FMCA, why not shop your policy through their program?  https://fmcarvinsurance.com/

It won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time and probably will save you hundreds.  It's a good practice to shop your policy every 5 years or so just to make sure what you're paying is reasonable.  Your garaging address has more to do with your premium than just about anything else but your driving/accident record.

Sorry but if you didn't shop for another insurance company when Safeco went from  $610 / year to triple that amount to $1910 you were very foolish. Sorry to be so blunt but you let Safeco take advantage of. 

Herman

4 hours ago, rcieslak67 said:

Just received my renewal notice from Safeco insurance for our Holiday Rambler and it went up dramatically again. We started at $!610. went to $1910 last year and now the renewal this year is $2359.

All of this with no claims and a perfect driving record. Anyone else seeing these kinds of increases?

Why did you let it  go to $1910? I would have been on the phone to my agent BEFORE I payed the $1910. 

Bill

Probably another case off, "my agent and I hunt & fish together. We are great friends!"  or "I have been with them for xx years!"  False comfort zone...just saying.

I believe the $610 is a typo $!610, should be $1610.

Herman - that was a typing error on my part, it was $1610 the first year and my RV insurance is through FMCA RV insurance. But, I guarantee I will price others now as this has gotten ridiculous.

I have been talking to FMCA RV insurance all morning. The reason I was given is that Michigan's lawmakers has required some additional charges this year

and this is what caused my Safeco insurance premium to go up .Another one of them was losses in Michigan, at least that is what I was told. FMCA priced Progressive,

Foremost and several other insurance companies, but Safeco remains the least expensive even with the increase.  

rcieslak67 --

What is the ag, value and model of your Holiday Rambler?  Reason for asking is I just received my annual renewal notice from Progressive for my 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037 and it was a shocking $3,400 !    This is the first full year premium notice from Progressive since I purchased the Ventana LE a few months ago (I only had to pay an incremental amount to cover the last three months).   The current value of my Ventana LE is $165,000.   

The $3,400 premium is more than the annual premium for my home which has a value three times that of motorhome.   I submitted a quote request to FMCA Insurance to see if they can offer a better price......

Mike, if your policy is like mine, look on page 26. If something happens to it you get $165.000 in insurance money minus deductible. In 2017 they totaled my 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W and gave me the nice sum. FMCA is not going to do that.

State Farm, same coverage and replacement value at $170,000 for 1/2 price of Progressive!  Apparently Progressive took a big hit from Hurricane Harvey!  Cars, RV's and lots of Boat's...Clear Lake, TX.  Has more pleasure craft's than any harbor in USA!

Hartford Insurance is another good one!  Along with Herman's. 

17 hours ago, fagnaml said:

The $3,400 premium is more than the annual premium for my home which has a value three times that of motorhome.  

When's the last time you drove your home down the road at 60+ mph surrounded by other drivers on their phones? I agree that $3,400 is a very high premium, but not sure that comparing to a homeowner's policy is an apples-to-apples comparison.

Insurance is one of those areas where I've found it best to make use of the assistance of experts. Rather than calling around and shopping this out yourself, have you tried calling a good independent insurance agent? Especially one that has experience insuring motor homes? Good independent agents know where the deals are, they know how to walk things through underwriting to get the proper coverage, and they've already got the low-down on which companies in the area offer the best coverage. Agents can also go to bat for you should there be need to make a claim, as happened when our first coach was hit by a driver who had fallen asleep.

We've been with the same independent agency for nearly 20 years. They have written all our policies over the years (home, auto, business, etc.) and I feel that they do a good job looking out for us, including the policy on our motor home.

I used to think the same about USAA...but times change.  Started with them in 1963 and now they have my umbrella coverage and some Mutual Fund investments, dropped everything else in 2002!

My home insurance on Galveston Island is $1,400 + Wind storm & Hail $1,800 + Flood $1,600.  Since I don't have a Mortgage, It's not mandatory to have Flood, not throwing that Dice!  Don't know what Mike carries, but in Harris County/Houston, I would have everything I have on mine..replacement would be around $430k. I carry $10k deductible.

Quick update on insurance rates.  I contacted FMCA RV Insurance and received the following annual premiume quotes based on $170,000 motorhome value:

• Progressive RV = $2,100
  • Nationwide / Allied = $2,280
  • Safeco = $2,610

My current Progressive policy with is $3,400 annual premium is through Progressive Direct (their on-line system) and not through Progressive RV for which FMCA RV Insurance is an agent.   The nice customer service rep for Progressive Direct said that their high volume policies (i.e. automobiles, homeowner, etc.) premiums are often a tad lower than rates offered by agents.  However, for "specialty" insurance such as RVs the Progressive Direct rate is usually somewhat higher than agent rates.  The customer service rep was shocked at a $1,300 difference between the on-line Progressive Direct policy and the agent provided Progressive RV policy.

Needless to say I'm moving from Progressive Direct to FMCA RV Insurance and a Progressive RV policy.

Until now I thought Progressive was Progressive was Progressive...…..

Mike, it can work in reverse also.  First time I had Progressive was through USAA, second time was via an Independent agent...35% less!   

I find reading the posts in forums such as this interesting. There are many, many factors in rating insurance premiums; the comparisons in the posts really aren’t logical. As far as the Progressive difference in price I would suggest that there is minimal difference between PRG Direct and PRG thru an agent. Just the information used in rating is different. 🙂

Doowah.

Please enlighten us as to why it's not logical?  I have only been doing coach insurance for 52 years!

Check with Good Sam, their agents will check around and get you the best deal with a national insurance co.

Right, call FMCA or GS...You will get the same person. I called FMCA number and was asked, "are you a GS member?"

I am insured through Miller Insurance an advertiser on this site and a rally forum purveyor. Insurance is with National General coach is a 199p SMC Panther w/$500 deductible is $1088, two Featherlite trailers @$400 and a 2004 Jeep Wrangler $345. I know an older coach but insured for a specific stated value. Overall increase this year $154

Safeco through FMCA was $2359 for a one year renewal with no claims or accidents. Priced AAA of Michigan and they quoted me $1650 for one year coverage. Canceled Safeco and went with AAA of Michigan.  

On 10/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, hermanmullins said:

If you would like to makes another comparison give Farm Bureau of Michigan a call. 800-292-2680. Texas Farm Bureau has been good for us.

Herman  

Indiana Farm Bureau will not insure our MH, and all other ins is with them.

I presently have Safeco ins on our MH through the Winnebago program, full coverage- $760/yr.