Jump to content
nightcrawler

HOV lanes

Recommended Posts

I have read that using the HOV lane through Atlanta is OK if you have the required occupants, however i would not be driving any speed that would be compatible with Atlanta's normal and usual speeds. I suspect a slower RV in the HOV lane would attract the attention of law enforcement more than a speeding vehicle.

Edited by rayin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Within Texas I've driven my motohome on HOV lanes / Tollways in Houston and San Antonio with no problems.  Those HOVs/Tollways do not have a different speed limit that the "free" main lains of a freeway.    I have a "TxTag" for my motorhome and personal vehicles that gets scanned as I drive on tollways.      The TxTag also works on tollways in Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Georgia and North & South Carolina.     HOV lanes in Texas are generally for two or more people in a vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add Kansas to your list for the NTTA Toll Tag. Works great.

Didn't know about Florida,  Georgia and North and South Carolina. Thanks for the info. 

Herman 

Edited by hermanmullins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Within Texas I've driven my motohome on HOV lanes / Tollways in Houston and San Antonio with no problems.  Those HOVs/Tollways do not have a different speed limit that the "free" main lains of a freeway.    I have a "TxTag" for my motorhome and personal vehicles that gets scanned as I drive on tollways.      The TxTag also works on tollways in Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Georgia and North & South Carolina.     HOV lanes in Texas are generally for two or more people in a vehicle. 

Strange,  Just came in I-10 in Houston and the toll lanes are marked No Towed Vehicles or Over One Ton.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, txiceman said:

Strange,  Just came in I-10 in Houston and the toll lanes are marked No Towed Vehicles or Over One Ton.

Ken

One ton? What's left? Maybe a Smart Car? Even a Fiat weighs more than a ton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richard5933 said:

One ton? What's left? Maybe a Smart Car? Even a Fiat weighs more than a ton. 

They mean 3500/F350 is the maximum.  No MDT or HDT trucks.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"But officer, I got in the HOV lane by accident and the double line will not let me get out."

I mean gosh, breaking two laws would make it right, right?

Edited by wayne77590

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HagerHawk said:

Houston must be different, DFW area allows semis and anything to drive in their Toll Tag lanes

The Toll Tag lanes aren't HOV lanes - are they? My impression when we were there last was that they were just toll lanes plopped in the middle of an otherwise toll-free highway for those willing to pay for faster transit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Houston area combines the toll land and the HOV lane in some areas. There are two tag entrances, one for HOV and one for TOLL. If you don't have two+ in the vehicle you have to either not use that lane or have a toll tag and use the toll lane. If you don't have either you don't enter.  Most of the roads around here will have signs that state, "No vehciles over 1 ton or towing trailers."  Or some type of words to that affect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From East to West, I take the Katy HOV/Houston HOV, straight thru.  Only beef I have on occasion, is the young female, on the phone and doing 40 mph, driving her snowflake car! If I honk, I get a finger.  🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you get is a finger from honking, you are leading a charmed life.  She may be packing heat.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 9:45 AM, richard5933 said:

The Toll Tag lanes aren't HOV lanes - are they? My impression when we were there last was that they were just toll lanes plopped in the middle of an otherwise toll-free highway for those willing to pay for faster transit.

Yes, people will pay thinking they getting faster transit at the same speed limit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took the I-635 thru Dallas yesterday, mostly in the HOV (Express) lane, speed limit 75, no traffic to speak off.  The "Free I-635" had stop & go, wall to wall traffic and a 60 mph limit.  If you want to test your shocks, I-635 is the road to take, 50/50 air born at 50mph! 🤬  HOV=smooth! :wub:

Wayne, Yes!

 

Edited by manholt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, wayne77590 said:

The Houston area combines the toll land and the HOV lane in some areas. There are two tag entrances, one for HOV and one for TOLL. If you don't have two+ in the vehicle you have to either not use that lane or have a toll tag and use the toll lane. If you don't have either you don't enter.  Most of the roads around here will have signs that state, "No vehciles over 1 ton or towing trailers."  Or some type of words to that affect.

Last time we went through Houston eastbound and down on I-10 in our MH, towing, we stayed in the HOV lane versus TxTG and I was sure to be there when going through the checkpoints.  But, we got to one checkpoint where there were only two TxTg lanes and no lane labeled HOV.  We went through of course, but about 5 weeks later I got a bill for $36! 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don, TxTg is good on all Toll roads in TX.  I used to have EZPass in Houston, Its also good in TX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard,

In the Houston area the TOLL and HOV lanes are the same. The only item different is the entry point.  One lane will be HOV and the other TOLL, then they merge into one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...