ernie.maso@gmail.com

Where Can I Get Individual Wheels Weighed?

I am trying to get the individual wheels weighed in order to determine proper tire inflation.

I contacted several truck stops in my area (Northwest NJ) and all they offer is axle weights which I already have.

I even called NJ State Police and they couldn't help me.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

RV Safety does workshops at the larger FMCA rallies. They schedule weigh-ins for the day the rally is over so you can pack up to travel and go through their weigh station. That is the best way to get weighed! They charge for the service and it is well worth it. You'll get a thorough report complete with a tire chart indicating what your tire pressure should be based on your weight. They also lead you through adjusting the weight for the varying amount of fluids in your rig. Things like the amount of fuel, fresh water, propane, gray and black water change so you have to know about what you have on board when you weigh to make this adjustment.

Another method I have used when desperate for weight information is to find a public scale that isn't so restricted that you can't get partially off the scale. It requires that you weigh twice and isn't quite as accurate. Weigh the first time the normal way with all wheels on the scale. Then pull through the scale again but this time leave one set of tires on each axle off the scale. This gives you the individual weights for the wheels on the scale which can be subtracted from the total weight of each axle to find the weight of the other wheel position on that axle. Simpler would be to pull through once with one side of each axle on the scale and then pull through with the other side on the scale but it is difficult to find a scale so open that you can be off both sides. Also that method will give you an error to the lighter side for each weight as most scales are slightly elevated related to surrounding ground. See the following paragraph.

There will be an error based on any slant you have while on the scale as tipping the motor home in one direction puts more weight on the wheels on that side. If the tilt is small, the error is small, if the tilt is greater, the error will be greater. If you get total weight, and then weight on one side, at least you have a valid total weight and if one tire weighs a little light, the other on the axle will compute a little heavy. You set tire pressure based on the heaviest tire on an axle. If the heaviest tire is the weighed tire then it likely would be a little heavier still (add a little more to its weight when figuring tire pressure). If the heaviest tire is off the scale, it is likely slightly less (no problem, use the computed weight)

I have found public scales - not at truck stops - where this method works. Look around your community, farm products companies and trucking firms sometimes have public scales that aren't so confined and elevated and will allow this method to work pretty well.

I am trying to get the individual wheels weighed in order to determine proper tire inflation. I contacted several truck stops in my area (Northwest NJ) and all they offer is axle weights which I already have. I even called NJ State Police and they couldn't help me. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I called the scale folks at the state patrol, they came to the house and weighed each wheel on their portable scales. Even gave me a certified scale ticket, which was accepted by the tag office.

So where do you live GreenBeaver? Tell us all what state gives such great service! We'll all have to stop there and get weighed when we go through!

So where do you live GreenBeaver? Tell us all what state gives such great service! We'll all have to stop there and get weighed when we go through!

Sorry for taking so long. :rolleyes: I currently live in Kansas. I have had the DOT enforcement folks do weights for me in Nebraska (NDOT) and Kansas (part of the Highway Patrol). I think most states do it as a public service, they do in NE and KS. I would give them a call and find out, couldn't hurt. I do know that most states do not want you crossing the fixed scales, there are probably some exceptions, since you would more than likely hold up the trucks trying to get through. I know that Kansas doesn't want RVs doing that.

:)

I think the willingness of the State Truck Enforcement Division/DOT to weigh has less to do with the state than the individual you talk with and how it is presented.

Asking the "head guy" if you can bring your coach to THEIR LOCATION at the beginning or end of a shift change to get individual wheel position weights usually gives positive results. Most are impressed that someone is interested in operating their coach safely.

Brett Wolfe

I think the willingness of the State Truck Enforcement Division/DOT to weigh has less to do with the state than the individual you talk with and how it is presented.

Asking the "head guy" if you can bring your coach to THEIR LOCATION at the beginning or end of a shift change to get individual wheel position weights usually gives positive results. Most are impressed that someone is interested in operating their coach safely.

Brett Wolfe

Since have had LEO experience in both Nebraska and Kansas I knew that this was done for the public. In my example for Kansas I talked to the local State Patrol office who refered me, by phone transfer, to the folks that do the weight enforcement. They told me they would be happy to come to my house and do the weight, and they did. They log it as a public service. The guy that came out told me he wished more people would take advantage of this service. I was also advised to not go into the scales as they don't have time to deal with folks who are not familiar with it. It couldn't hurt to give the weight enforcement folks a call and see what their take is.

For anyone who plans to be driving their motorhomes through the Livingston, TX, Congress, AZ, or Bushnell, FL areas, the Escapees RV Club has SmartWeigh locations specifically set up to weigh individual wheel positions on all RVs. SmartWeigh does not operate all the time at these locations. For event calendars and phone numbers to check on availability go to the Escapees web page and click on SmartWeigh. Assuming all the locations are the same as the one at Livingston, permanent scale pads have been installed to assure level weighing sites.

You do not have to be a member to have your coach weighed at these locations, however, there are member and non-member prices for the weighing.

Richard Goss

Livingston, TX

F329512

Anyone in the Oregon area can get individual wheel weights at Henderson's Lineup in Grant's Pass. They will charge you for the service, of course. I'm sure that there are other RV repair centers that would offer this service. Oregon also has roadside weigh stations on some of the rural roads that are rarely busy and you could do the 2 pass method as previously suggested.

If you're anywhere near San Jose, Ca there is a place called Leale's RV Repair that will give you 4-corner weights for free with any service. they do good work and are friendly folks.

In most small towns in rural, farming areas, there are grain elevators and/or fertilizer suppliers, with scales. Most are out in the open. Most will either allow you to weigh free, or for a small fee. However, if during their busy season, they may not want you to tie up the scale for long. Most of the year, the scales sit there, unused.

Some, our local elevator included, actually turn the scale head so it points out the window. That way, it can be used by the patrons after hours to weigh trucks. If that is the case, you are free to use it after hours, for as long as you need!

In Lake Havasu City AZ there is a company, Weigh-To-Go, that will come to your location. Also, the Freightliner motorhome chassis service center in Gaffney SC will do the corner weights as well as any other service you need. Good luck!

Since have had LEO experience in both Nebraska and Kansas I knew that this was done for the public. In my example for Kansas I talked to the local State Patrol office who refered me, by phone transfer, to the folks that do the weight enforcement. They told me they would be happy to come to my house and do the weight, and they did. They log it as a public service. The guy that came out told me he wished more people would take advantage of this service. I was also advised to not go into the scales as they don't have time to deal with folks who are not familiar with it. It couldn't hurt to give the weight enforcement folks a call and see what their take is.

I also had LEO, but in La. and had the same experience with weight enforcement.

The first time I got our 4 corners weighed was at a moving and storage warehouse location. They had an open scale out in the parking lot and let me manuever in order to get it done. They charged me $10.

The second time, after we had outfitted our coach more, we drove about 40 miles to an RV Dreams rally in Kerrville, TX and got Howard and Linda Payne to weigh us. They are a part of RV Safety. You could check out their website to see where they will be. They charged us $60.

Good luck. This is the ONLY way to be sure your tires have the proper inflation.

Don

Seems to be many possible options based on where you are. My question is can the tire weight scale be purchased or are they too costly?

10 hours ago, oldgrape said:

Seems to be many possible options based on where you are. My question is can the tire weight scale be purchased or are they too costly?

I agree with Herman that buying scales is expensive. I would not do that.  Have you checked with RVSRF to see what they are doing?  If you travel to Oregon or WA you can look for "State Scales" as I posted HERE.

I have a dozen posts on this topic on my blog so check "weight" in the keyword list on lower left

or check these sites

https://www.publicscaleslocator.com/

https://www.dieselboss.com/service.htm

https://www.allstays.com/c/weigh-scales-locations.htm

We went to DPS with ours and they where happy to do it.  Not my first time & have done it in several different States!  Free? Yes, but I always make a donation to their K-9 Unit.