haeffele

Do Not Buy A Winnebago Class A!

New to this! Just replied to your first post back in Feb. We own a 08 Destination as well and have had some problems with it too, slide wall, jacks etc. We now have a problem with the Apollo Half Time oven. It shuts off after 10 seconds and service light comes on. Have you had the same?

Retired Navy Master Chief!

No, the half time oven has worked very well. The list of repairs we have had to have done is to long for the thread. Major ones were/are: big slide out came off bed rails and pulled the frame out of the floor; Slide auto locks had a recall but nothing was sent out regarding it. Twice we had to have an RV moblile repair come out and put his back to the slide while I operated the controls to get it in. Jacks: well, since 2010 we have had problems with the jacks from the jacks down alarm constantly coming on while going down the road to not being able to stabilize for any period of time with the right front jack doping down; and many small annoying problems.

No, the half time oven has worked very well. The list of repairs we have had to have done is to long for the thread. Major ones were/are: big slide out came off bed rails and pulled the frame out of the floor; Slide auto locks had a recall but nothing was sent out regarding it. Twice we had to have an RV moblile repair come out and put his back to the slide while I operated the controls to get it in. Jacks: well, since 2010 we have had problems with the jacks from the jacks down alarm constantly coming on while going down the road to not being able to stabilize for any period of time with the right front jack doping down; and many small annoying problems.

You would think with all of their experience in this industry they would have had all of this figured out by now.

I agree, but I also realize that we are in a rolling earthquake and things can happen. However, some of it can be avoided. Winnebago switched from HWH to Kwikee Level Best jack systems for 1 maybe 2 years. They are now back with HWH. I'm having my RV Repair facility give me an estimate on replacing the entire Kwikee jack system with a different one. We'll see.

The other side of the equation is waiting on parts. It is not the repair facilities fault that when parts are ordered it takes a very long time to get them. Case in point, my RV went into the shop just after Columbus Day, Oct. 12, 2015. The Awning Pro was ordered and as of today it still has not come in. Reason from Dometic, "It's being manufactured." Might have to go back to tent camping - (NOT).

Wow. We have heard bad things about every manufacturer during our RV travels. We love our Winnebagos. Had a 2011 Journey 40U. Trouble free. Traded for a 2015 Ellipse Ultra and it has been awesome these first 8 months and 6000+ miles. Sorry you have had problems but we would recommend Winnebago Journey/Meridian or Tour/Ellipse to anyone.

There CAN be problems with the moderns behemoths which travel down the road at 60+ mph but we have had two Winnebagos and loved the first, love the current. Again, sorry for your issues but we have been at rallies for Prevosts, Newells, BlueBirds, Foretravel, Newmar, Tiffin, Thor and Winnebagos. They all would love to be perfect but alas, that is not the case. Some have problems like yours, some have bigger issues but most, and I believe most, are incredible marvels.

We have been blessed with that so far.

Best of luck in your journey.

Know the feeling, our WINNEBAGO Journey has done a good job for us. I take the attitude that it is just like a airplane, so many hours up, or on the road, so many hours maintenance. When I first bought this unit i had problems with the slides, found out that a couple of hours a season checking wiring underneath and corrosion proofing grounds eliminated the problem. So it goes with everything on a MH. You just can't get in and ride of into the sunset and think you will go forever.

I would be concerned about buying another unit now, because this one has so few problems, that I would hate to trade up to a "lemon".

Wayne.

Cummins is the HWH rep. in US. They install and fix, it's also the only place to get a computer mother board!

Give them a call for price.

Carl

It seams the OP who has a total of 2 post continued to travel and use the coach with out getting the items fixed. Then is complaining about the "extender warranty" not being that good...

Bill

BTW, where is the OP? He dropped a bomb and left.

Welcome to the club, we have a Winnebago 2009 Model Tour 40 KD on a 2008 Freightliner Custom Chassis.

Dealer invoiced Winnebago over 40K Dollars for warranty work of which most of it was not corrected.

Continue to have problems with unit, had to replace every cheap water check valve,  tank fill valve, on the cold and hot water system, replaced the refrigerator to an all electric, it failed just after two years of service. The Alpine GPS became obsolete with no upgrades available just after purchase. The Sony Camera Monitor has been obsolete, and is totally out. The rear Engine compartment door detached itself from the the rear shell, all of the glued hinges, latches and other components just separated from the shell. We used aircraft quality epoxy to glue all of the components back together. We have to continually tighten or change fasteners throughout the Motor Home. The Basement air conditioning system is of very poor design, the in roof duct system is constructed of unsealed Styrofoam blocks that are just randomly loosely installed in the roof trying to direct air to the proper channels, but it scatters everywhere  so actuality the system has to cool the entire roof before it starts to cool the interior. On hot days the system will never cool the interior. Driving on hot days we have to run the engine and basement A/C. The front furnace is also poorly designed, very little air enters the front portion of the unit. Most of the warm air heats up the basement storage area, we have to use electric space heaters to warm up the front of the coach. I can go on and on.

This is the most poorly constructed vehicle we have ever experienced.  Happy to say, we have had no problems with the Freightliner Custom Chassis

Old Cajun

Sorry to hear that you Winnebago has so many problems. We recently purchased a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 38J for $30,900. Had a new generator and transfer switch installed by the dealer for $6.400. The engine did not run good, A Chevy RV shop found the fuel filter was clogged as well as the fuel pump being clogged too. With those 2 items fixed, we now has a good as brand new coach that we are loving, now more problems have been found. We also had brand new tires installed as the one on the coach were 12 years old and cracking. Total investment is $51,000, and the coach is worth $70,000 now now. I believe we made a good investment. Our coach has always been in southern Florida it's entire life, and we are only staying in warm places year round.

1 hour ago, DougJames65 said:

Sorry to hear that you Winnebago has so many problems. We recently purchased a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 38J for $30,900. Had a new generator and transfer switch installed by the dealer for $6.400. The engine did not run good, A Chevy RV shop found the fuel filter was clogged as well as the fuel pump being clogged too. With those 2 items fixed, we now has a good as brand new coach that we are loving, now more problems have been found. We also had brand new tires installed as the one on the coach were 12 years old and cracking. Total investment is $51,000, and the coach is worth $70,000 now now. I believe we made a good investment. Our coach has always been in southern Florida it's entire life, and we are only staying in warm places year round.

Sounds like you found a good deal. Welcome to the forum. What was wrong with the generator that it needed to be replaced? Hope you were able to save some money on tiers using the FMCA tire program.

Bill

He's a good friend.  We'll be at a Rally next week! He picks, I pick! :lol:  So is Jim S. We have breakfast together, when I'm home at the ranch! 😎

Most of us on this tread, have met each other.

If I took the time to point out all of carl's little quirks I wouldn't have time for anything else. Now before Carl gets all of us put in time out for thread wander. I wonder what was wrong with the generator. 🤩

Bill

Just to be part of the pick on Carl crowd, you are right W.Bill how is it that Carl is calling the kettle black... he might be worse than you are...just sayin😕😁 But we have not met, lookin forward to that day.   be

After reading this entire thread, and no subsequent posts from the thread starter haeffe  since 2015, I'm now thinking he was merely stirring the pot with false allegations. 

Bill E.  Just fly to Texarkana this week & you can be with WBill, Herman and me at the Lone Star Christmas Rally, where Herman will be installed as President & I as 1st VP!  :blink::lol: Linda will make her Pecan, rum bread pudding, with praline, rum sauce! :D

Carl, you can alway make me slobber all over myself with commits like  "Linda will make her Pecan, rum bread pudding, with praline, rum sauce! :D"

Happy hunting see your Tuesday.

Herman

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Carl, you can alway make me slobber all over myself with commits like  "Linda will make her Pecan, rum bread pudding, with praline, rum sauce! :D"

Happy hunting see your Tuesday.

Herman

Ha, and I’m checking for cheap plane tickets 🤣

On 11/26/2018 at 10:19 AM, RAYIN said:

After reading this entire thread, and no subsequent posts from the thread starter haeffe  since 2015, I'm now thinking he was merely stirring the pot with false allegations. 

Not so fast!  We bought a brand new 34' 2013 Sunnybrook by Winnebago 5th wheel trailer  It had so many problems in the 1st year under warranty, that were too much for the dealership to handle, that Winnebago ended up picking it up, and bringing it all the way back to factory in Indiana to fix the massive problems!!! 😫  It is not like they fixed it quick; we were w/o it for over a MONTH! 😧

Good thing it was a "leftover" at the dealership for about a year, because at nearly 2 years old (approaching end of 1 year warranty), the floor on the main slide-out rotted out big time!  On a cross country trip, I was worried I would not be able to slide it in, due to swelling of the floor.  Had we bought it when new on dealer lot, we would have been SOL, with it failing at nearly 2 years.  We got rid of it, like 2 years later - good riddance!