jeffdaley

How do I Purchase Fuel without Dollar Limits

I have yet to see a P/FJ or Love's in Canada...mostly Irving, Petro Canada and Esso.  Further North in West NF we go, the more per Litter, we will get about 400 Litters+/- tomorrow at CA$1.339.  Linda won't let me go much beyond 1/2 tank! :(

In the States, I'm with WB & Joe...bite the bullet.  If I got worried about $3.15 against $2.99, I would go back to a gasser! :rolleyes: 

I must say, I will never leave my CC & DL with an $10 a hour attendant, under any circumstances!  We carry plenty of cash, since that is one way to save at pump!  Linda goes in with my card or cash and stay's there, until I'm full. :D

4 hours ago, manholt said:

I have yet to see a P/FJ or Love's in Canada...mostly Irving, Petro Canada and Esso. 

Yes there are no Pilot Flying J's east of Montreal, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward island or Newfoundland. Once you head west from Montreal there are many across Ontario all the way to BC. No Loves in Canada as far as I know.

I occasionally purchase fuel at a local Shell station with automatic cut off at $75 and I've used the same card, Visa from Capital One, as many as 4 times consecutively. 

It's service station dependent. Our neck of the woods it shuts off. Once it shut of at $75 so I went inside and ran the CC to get more fuel. Nope, would not accept it - come back tomorrow.

Also there are corporate service stations and independent service stations, including Flying J/Pilot.  Some independent PFJ's will not honor the "at the pump" swipel You still need to go inside.  Happened to us on the road at least twice.

Each station is different, in my experience. Just yesterday we were at a Travel America (TA) station in the truck lanes. Their pump swipe device would not take a credit card. Had to go inside. Clerk asked me how much for them to set as the upper limit to turn on the pump. She said that it was just a preliminary approval swipe, and that once I finished pumping they would finalize and I'd be billed for the actual amount pumped. Yeah, it took two walks inside to get this done (went back for receipt), but in the end that's okay since it gave me a chance to stretch my legs and take a break from driving for a minute.

I've had stations where I could just leave my driver's license with the clerk and they'd turn on the pump. Others wanted to hold my CC. Usually if you ask before you start pumping they have a way to allow you to fill without having to swipe a card over and over.

I use Pilot Flying J RV Plus card when stations are available.   I always use truck stops as there is a good turn over of fuel.   I never use small gas stations because of friends accounts of getting algae in fuel and costing them so much time and money getting it out of their fuel systems.    Some will say they buy the cheapest fuel and never had a problem but others haven't been as fortunate.

I had used the Good Sam Flying J discount program paying at the pump in the past. Got about .06 cents off. Recently I got the TSD Logistics discount and have been going to Loves. Have used it 3 times now and got nearly $45 off each fillup or about .45 cents a gallon. Don’t need to drive around and find a station with old fuel and hard to maneuver within to pay less. 

The last Loves I stopped at, over an hour to get to pump...then I young man told me that I would have to go to another pump, because this pump was going to be serviced, OK I did and as soon as I got behind another OTR, where I had been had a OTR & the youngster, turned on the pump for him!  Linda went inside, she knew not to let me, got the Manager, told the story with the youngster there.  It was explained to her that the RV pumps was in front, she said OK and told me...we both knew what would happen, so we moved to the RV lane, after a very long fill up, over 120 gallons, Linda went in the store & got the Manager again and asked him how do we get back on the main road?  This time, he knew why we use the truck lanes...64' trying to dodge small cars, Manager & helpers (including the young punk), it took over 40 minutes to get on road!!!  

Yes, we did send this, in more detail, with pictures, to Tulsa, OK.  I avoid Loves if I can!  

3 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

FYI, the TSD card will only work at the pumps in the truck lanes.

I saw a post on the Monaco Facebook Form that if you go in and present your EES card that you can fill up out front and get the EES discount.

Fortunately the lines aren't as long in the trucker lines in the NW.

Jim

6 hours ago, manholt said:

I know that, but I don't have one...Linda mumbled something, we shall see!

....and if Linda mumbles, you better listen.

I don't mind waiting for a trucker to fuel. I have been upset a few times when they are in showering, eating, etc., and leave their truck at the pump. Other than that I don't find the wait that bad - Lord give me patience, AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!

Wayne, know that feeling well.

Jim, I don't remember if it was OR or WA, where I could not fill my own coach & car...an attendant had to do it.

18 minutes ago, manholt said:

Jim, I don't remember if it was OR or WA, where I could not fill my own coach & car...an attendant had to do it

NewJersey has that same law, no self serve fuel stations, gas or diesel.

52 minutes ago, manholt said:

Jim, I don't remember if it was OR or WA, where I could not fill my own coach & car...an attendant had to do it.

OR requires attendants to pump your fuel except for motorcycles, however the rtecently relaxed their law and allow you to pump your own on the east side of the state in small rural towns.  Most places will start filling filling diesel tanks, but will allow you to remove nozzle when finished.

It't been on the ballots several times to let you pump your own, but never passes. I believe the only other state that prohibits you from pumping your own is VT.

Jim

1 hour ago, manholt said:

OR unless you're at a truck stop fill lane.  

Has anyone purchased fuel in OR with your TSD account?  Just wondering  if the PUC tax is included in the posted price on the EFS  app.  I thought you had to have a PUC permit to use the  truck lanes.  Has has anyone caught and flap about having your PU in truck lanes?

Jim

You are charged the tax if you donot have a number not sure about discount and tax 

as that is a separate issue 

This was discussed at length in another thread (can't find it right now - possibly on FMCA Forum, possibly it was on iRV2). If I remember correctly, the price posted on the EFS app is the price the truckers pay. If you are filling a vehicle without a PUC number the discount is the same, but the price will be adjusted to account for the tax. Not sure if it was automatic at the pump when you didn't have a PUC number or if you had to activate inside at the fuel desk, but first-hand information was on the other thread if you can find it.

13 hours ago, richard5933 said:

13 hours ago, richard5933 said:

This was discussed at length in another thread (can't find it right now - possibly on FMCA Forum, possibly it was on iRV2). If I remember correctly, the price posted on the EFS app is the price the truckers pay. If you are filling a vehicle without a PUC number the discount is the same, but the price will be adjusted to account for the tax. Not sure if it was automatic at the pump when you didn't have a PUC number or if you had to activate inside at the fuel desk, but first-hand information was on the other thread if you can find it.

I have seen so many conflicting stories on the pricing in OR I  decided to call TSD to get the straight answer.  They informed me that the daily prices posted on the EFS app includes OR state fuel tax and the pumps in the truck lanes reflect this price.

Please speak up if anyone has actually purchased fuel in OR and can versify that this information is correct.

Jim

1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

Huff,

I also read the same link, I refrained from including it in  my post. I didn't want to muddy the water any more than it is.

I would be traveling thru mid January when going south of a couple of months,  When are you heading south? Let me know how it works for you if you pass thru OR before me.  

I think the prices on EFS today were less than the last PUC prices.

Jim

I hope to be leaving going through there Sunday or Monday. I can easily get from my place to Seven Feather no problem then refuel there. Then I travel as far as I can into so I don't have to refuel more than twice in CA. I hope to stay at SAM'S in Desert Hot Springs for 30 days. Then we going to Quartzite, AZ for a chapter rally for a week. That will be a good start of my winter trip. 

6 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I hope to be leaving going through there Sunday or Monday. I can easily get from my place to Seven Feather no problem then refuel there. Then I travel as far as I can into so I don't have to refuel more than twice in CA. I hope to stay at SAM'S in Desert Hot Springs for 30 days. Then we going to Quartzite, AZ for a chapter rally for a week. That will be a good start of my winter trip. 

We are also staying at Desert Hot Springs  at Sky Valley.  We won' be leaving until late January, we check in on 1 Feb. for 30 days then heading  to El Paso to visit our son who lives in Juarez MX .  When traveling thru OR we always include a stop at Seven Feathers, it's one of our favorites or second stop is Premier RV Resorts in Redding .  As you can see, we are in no hurry,

Jim