Sign in to follow this  
tommiefern

Sprint MiFi -good or bad?

Sprint coverage is scarce across the country.  I have Verizon and the wife has Sprint.  My phone and data coverage are a lot better than hers.  Her Sprint in Asia was good as she had unlimited texting including pictures.

I have the Sprint Tech Connect mifi. Where there is Sprint service, it is really good. As fast as our Verizon and ATT phones. My wife, myself and my grandson used it for 10 days through out New England with no problems. We were trying it out to see how it worked. We used a lot of data on three iPads with no throttling. What I found interesting was checking data usage, it does not list any usage. I guess it is truly unlimited.

I just received my Sprint Mifi 8000 MiFi device today. It is failing to connect to the internet and I can't find a good tech support number. The number that came with the start up guide will only handle Carrier calls. It tries to connect and then says to contact customer service. Any thoughts? 

I just tether my Sprint phone to my laptop when needed.  Works the same with unlimited 60 gb without slowdown.  

Thank you to all! The people from the number in the guide I received responded to an e-mail apologizing and letting me know do provide support. I ended up driving into town and was able to get it working. When I was home it acted like there was no signal. I got it working in town with 3 bars. Now that I'm back home I have 3 bars at home now. I've been in IT for 20+ years and this was a weird result but it's up and working so as I've learned over the years, you just have to settle for being glad its working!

Next step, I'm connecting it to a WiFi Ranger in the next few days so I can do some testing. 

My FMCA Franklin R910 suffered a bulging battery and actually popped the back cover off. I received the new Inseego Mifi 8000 last week as a replacement. It's supposed to be the same hardware as the Verizon 8800L Mifi device. The Mifi 8000 is what Sprint is now selling to their customers instead of the Franklin R910 and it can have an external antenna connected to it.

It would not activate so I worked through the FMCA TechConnect page and Aaron White (Membership Services Manager) responded, who was fantastic to deal with. He is extremely responsive and competent. It turned out that FMCA needed to contact Sprint to get the phone number moved from the Franklin R910 to the Mifi 8000 and then it just started working, probably because the Mifi was a replacement device provided by Asurion and shipped directly to me. I knew when it switched because the R910 stopped working. :)

There is a firmware update that may be needed on the original Mifi 8000 devices, firmware 1S but mine had it when it was shipped to me from Asurion. Aaron provided the firmware update directions in case that was the problem but it wasn't.

The area we're in right now is kind of spotty on coverage. If you understand signal strengths the Mifi is showing -122 to -125 dbm, which is quite weak. Sprint's map shows I need to relocate out of the campground in any direction for about a mile and coverage will be fine, of course. I just ordered a directional antenna from Amazon for these areas so we'll see how it works when it arrives in a week or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Inseego-Hotspot-External-Periodic-Low-Loss/dp/B07XY7D6VS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=J9KLSCWPJCPR&keywords=mifi+8000+mobile+hotspot+external+antenna&qid=1579362721&sprefix=mifi+8000%2Caps%2C216&sr=8-3

HTH,

Ray

1-20-20

Got Sprint hot spot 3 weeks ago. Left Knoxville Tn area for Cape Canaveral Fl area. Hot spot worked fine till we got into campground here at Cape Canaveral. MIFI8000 showed 1 bar and wanted to roam. Sprint coverage map showed good coverage at campground. I contacted FMCA and they told me as long as it showed yellow coverage on Sprint Map it was ok to say yes to the "Domestic Roaming " message. It was in coverage zone for Sprint. Once it went to roaming I was downloading at 6 meg, Not great but ok for my use. Hope FMCA guy was correct on the domestic roaming message. I have ATT in the car and it is about the same speed.  Any input on the domestic roaming would be great