Deborahheinz

Campground Rudeness/ lack of manners.

I have been a camper for over 40 years.  This has ranged from tents to trailers and the current Class A motor home. As I’m out taking an evening walk in the campground I twice had to move off the pavement as young children raced electronic scooters and bikes. I researched the product and they go 15 mph. The campground road speeds are 5 mph and enforced. After the second time my dog and I had to yield the pavement I made a comment to my dog. The next thing I know Mom is at my camp site telling me to not talk to her child and if I have an issue to talk with her. How would you handle this?  I told her I had no idea who the kids belonged to and they were creating a safety hazard for us seniors taking an evening walk. What would you do in this matter?  I’m thinking of going to the office in the morning?  

1 hour ago, Deborahheinz said:

I’m thinking of going to the office in the morning?  

Exactly what I would do also. Many parks have already ruled out golf carts because of kids being abusive with them, so us senior citizens have to go by the same rules unless we buy a license plate for them. The same can be applied for those scooters. It is sad that the parents do not even care how their kids act anymore. We were taught that we had to be on our best behavior 24/7, or pay the consequences, that, was applied to our posterior and most of us can still remember how that hurt. Shame some of the same isn't applied these days, but the bleeding hearts have come to rule. My mom always said, "spare the ROD and spoil the child".

Likely won't do much good taking directly to the parents. From what I've seen over the past few years they are likely to defend they kids. I agree that the speed racers create a problem, and probably the best approach is to talk to the folks in the office quietly.

All too many parents do not parent.  They buy expensive toys for the kids and as long as they are not bothering the grown ups, the kids can do as they please.

Tell the manager, not a clerk, about the issue and let them handle it.  Problem is some places do not want to ruin the campers fun, just short of destroying the place.

Because of the lack of care from the parents and park staff, we no longer volunteer at any place that has campers.

Ken

Unfortunately this has become “normal etiquette”. Cutting through sites, the list goes on and on. Seems to get worse with the location. We were in Myrtle beach a few years ago, they were turfing campsites with golf carts, sites with campers parked while people were on the beach, driving across peoples patio mats at a high rate of speed. Add alcohol and it gets much worse! Security watched it and shrugged it off. 
Sadly its a new world we live in.

It's all about today's permissive society, and the bottom dollar.

If you do not get satisfaction from the owner/manager, be sure to leave a review on Campground Reviews.  Be honest and review both the good and bad things at the campground.

Many in our world visit camground reviews before booking reservations, or stopping.

My pet peeve is dogs not on a leash or tethered.

Or, find a campground like the one we're at now, Trailer Ranch RV Park in Santa Fe. It's attached to a 55+ trailer community, and they have a strict 21 and over policy for short term RVs. Kind of nice not have kids running around screaming while we're trying to relax. Yeah, I know that this puts in me in the "get off my grass" crowd but I'm good with that. Don't think I've been to a campground with a more calm and polite group of people. Staff is actively engaged keeping on top of things, but not at all overly pushy with the rules.

1 hour ago, richard5933 said:

Or, find a campground like the one we're at now, Trailer Ranch RV Park in Santa Fe. It's attached to a 55+ trailer community, and they have a strict 21 and over policy for short term RVs. Kind of nice not have kids running around screaming while we're trying to relax. Yeah, I know that this puts in me in the "get off my grass" crowd but I'm good with that. Don't think I've been to a campground with a more calm and polite group of people. Staff is actively engaged keeping on top of things, but not at all overly pushy with the rules.

Sounds absolutely delightful!  This campground used to be predominantly 55plus with very few children. I’m not anti children but expect a degree of decorum. When the family returned from the beach today the parents pointed me out to the children as the camper who complained about their speeding. Then the kids got the “E” scooters and bikes out to race for the next hour. Great lesson parents!  I thought it was because as a widow I’m alone and they felt comfortable with their aggression. I know think it’s simply ignorance. God help their children! 

11 hours ago, txiceman said:

...Tell the manager, not a clerk, about the issue and let them handle it...

Yes, manager or owner....most clerks could care less.

3 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Or, find a campground like the one we're at now, Trailer Ranch RV Park in Santa Fe. It's attached to a 55+ trailer community, and they have a strict 21 and over policy for short term RVs.

I don't think I would qualifi so we will be down the road a little at Santa Fe Skies RV Park towards the end of the month. You are a long way from Wisconsin. 

Bill

5 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

I don't think I would qualifi so we will be down the road a little at Santa Fe Skies RV Park towards the end of the month. You are a long way from Wisconsin. 

Bill

Long way? Guess so. It's a trip we put off for a year now, and having a great time. Weather here is actually cooler than Wisconsin, for whatever reason.

22 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

My pet peeve is dogs not on a leash or tethered.

Forgot about that one, us too!!! That and cleaning up after your pet.

I don’t mind the children as long as they are well behaved and follow the rules and decent etiquette.

When ours were little, As soon as they could read we would make them read the rules. They weren’t allowed to roam freely either. I never wanted to be “that family” with disrespectful kids. When they got older and were allowed to go to activities by themselves many times they would come back because others were out of hand and they didn’t want to be associated with that crowd. 
Goes back to, it’s all how you raise them.

Edited by jleamont

6 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Long way? Guess so. It's a trip we put off for a year now, and having a great time. Weather here is actually cooler than Wisconsin, for whatever reason.

Just kidding, what was it around the 24th of last month you were picking up your new to you trailer? No mention of a trip.:D 

The whole country is having weird weather with it over 100 in North Dakota and cooler and wheatear than normal in the south.

Deborahheinz, Just remember they are going to have to take those kids home and put up with them and they will have to go back to work and you won't.:P 

Bill

Richard, since your in SF, NM., are you going to Gillette?  What about you Bill?  

Where will you be spending the 4th?

4 hours ago, manholt said:

What about you Bill?  

Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone and maybe around the Grand Teton National Park. I think we are due in to Gillett on the 7th.

Bill

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Richard, since your in SF, NM., are you going to Gillette?  What about you Bill?  

We'd love to, but we have a long-overdue stop in KS to visit family. Still making up for missed opportunities over the past year and a half.

Deb, Sounds like the KOA we are staying at but the management seems that they don't care.

But it's the hack site not the kids and parents....yet.

I very much dislike golf cart drivers unless it's is very much needed to get around. That is OK in my book.

Sometimes when they are in front of me I think of "Shortround" in the Temple of Doom

when he is driving the car and comes up to that rickshaw., if you have seen that movie.

Deborahheinz, you are a much kinder person than I.
I wouldn't have moved over for the little darlings.
I weight over 200# and the little monsters probably weight under 100#.
Could be they would have learned a hard lesson.

Richard

Edited by rls7201

But, But,  guys making them  behave respectfully would stifle their little spirit and individualism.👹  I would have told that mamma my feelings about over-permissiveness before she finished opening her mouth.