Vegasmailman

Attaching FMCA Membership Plate to Motorhome

As a new member of the FMCA, I just received my welcome package in the mail yesterday. It includes the plate with your membership number for you to attach or place on the RV. I know I can drill two holes and attach the plate, but I really hate to think of putting holes in exterior. Has anyone used a different method to secure their plate to the motor coach? I'm hoping to find an idea where no holes will be required, and will not damage the full paint if it has to be removed at a later date. Thank you.

Guest Wayne77590

Mine is in the lower right hand windshield on the inside held by two suction cup clips.

The rear one is tie wrapped to the ladder.

Happy trails.

Because I use the ladder to get to the roof for cleaning, I do not like the tie wrap solution. The plate interferes with the step. I use the ladder mounts sold by Kiley Mold as suggested by Brett Wolfe which sets the plate back to allow usage of the step.

For the front, I had license plate mounting holes, but there was a recess that didn't allow the plate to be mounted. I bought some 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick aluminum bar from Lowes (Home Depot has aluminum bar, also) which I bent to make 2 mounting brackets. A vice and a hammer will allow you to easily bend the bar to any shape needed to set out the plate. These brackets were bolted to the license plate holes and two holes I drilled from the underside. Later if this mount is removed, the holes will not show. I do not have a picture. Each coach would probably be different anyway.

When I bought my coach, used, there were holes in the rear cap, with bolts in them, that didn't look unsightly, but I didn't know why they were there. When I got my FMCA plates, I found they fit. So don't worry about the appearance of unused holes. Put the plate where it looks best, let the next owner re-use the holes when he joins FMCA.

On the front, there were no holes at all, not even for a license plate, which I need, here in BC. So I had to drill for the license plate. I also drilled for the FMCA plate, as I tried the inside mount and rejected it. There was a blemish in the Stainless strip that crosses and dresses up the front on my Contessa, so I covered it with the FMCA plate. Saved having to buy or repair the stainless too.

I'm glad you asked this question. One of the frames I have for my FMCA and Monaco International plates broke several weeks ago. I purchased a set of Plak-R frames for holding these signs years ago at an FMCA rally. The Plak-R web site mentions that these are sold at Camping World. You can also order them from the web site. The mounting has two brackets that fit on the rear ladder. The frame attaches to the ladder by inserting two pins in the brackets and then securing them in place with two snap pins. When you want to use the ladder you simply remove the two snap pins and lift the frame from the brackets. They have several designs. You can also purchase a bunch of other signs (chapters could have signs made) to hang on your rig if you desire. I think my frame broke because I was hanging the frame by one pin when I used the ladder, just swiveling it out of the way. Guess it isn't made to be that strong. Otherwise, they are very convenient. I'll be purchasing a replacement. I don't have a plate mounted on the front of our coach. I could put something in the window but we always have the windshield and front windows covered with sun screen when parked. I haven't found a bracket that will work with my license plate mount. I'd love to see a picture from mrboyer. I have an idea of how it might be done but a picture would help.

There is an member of FMCA, that will remain unknown, that says to go ahead and drill holes for your sign on the front of your coach. If someone that is a member of FMCA buys the coach, the hole will already be there. If they aren't members they may join to get their own egg to cover the non faded area and holes.

Who knows it might work.

If I don't have the opportunity later on, "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

May all of your travels this season and in the future be safe and with good health.

:D :D

I used - 3M Scotch Mount Molding Tape 3614. It is a double sided tape that is ideal for attaching vehicle side molding, trim and emblems. Use multiple strips on back of plate. Make sure you know where you want it and have it properly aligned when you install it. It sticks. It can be removed, clean up with 3M adhesive remover is helpful.

Hi ,if you are handy you might try picking up some aluminum or steel bar stock from your local home improvement store, and fabricate brackets to bolt, screw or pop rivet to the underside of your bumpers. No visible holes and no wire ties either.............Good luck, Jerry

Yes I Took Plastic Tie Wraps and put them through the holes in the FMCA number plate and atached it to the ladder on the back of the RV I put it up high between the top two steps on the ladder :P

I use two 1/2" conduit teardrop clamps attached to the plate holes. They will snap around the ladder bars and clamp down with one screw and nut each. To access the roof just remove one screw, loosen the other and the plate will swing to the side.

In order to avoid blocking the ladder, you can build stadoffs, to mount the plate back against the wall of the coach. Or, look around, you may find a couple of holes correctly spaced, where a previous owner had his plate attached. That happened on my coach. Al I had to do was undo the screws and attach the FMCA plate.

I took my 'Egg' to a sign shop and for $20 they made me two exact copies in vinyl, one on the windshield and one on the back of the coach up high. Works for me. :)

I really like this idea. Sounds like it should be an option when you join.

Dan

Mine is on the ladder, up against a the top of a step, therefore I can still slip my foot into the space where the plate is located...under it.

We have grills on the front and back of our Foretravel. I used the stainless steel pieces that are used to mount snaps on boats on the inside of the grills along with stainless bolts and nuts. This put the plaques at eye level to people in autos. NO holes and easy to remove when we trade up.

The simplest means of attaching: 3m molding tape 3/8 inch wide or similar. It is the one available at Home Depot with the orange tape. The actual sticky tape is white. Run this around the perimeter of the plate, pull the orange adhesive protector off and place it where you want. It will not come off until you work at it. B