Jump to content
jchaney12

Could towing my Fusion have damage my front end?

Recommended Posts

I am towing (for the first time towing anything) a Ford Fusion Hybrid on all 4 behind my RV. I'm using a Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster tow base plate on my car. Also using Invisibrake for my braking system. After towing 1400 miles, I feel like my front left bearings are making noise and have a little front end snapping noise when turning ... noises I never had before towing this car. Can towing cause these kinds of problems? Could I have done something wrong? Any suggestions or have you had similar experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly. Is the tow bar at the proper level?    Do you leave the tow bar attached to your auto when not towing? Which is not recommended. Is the knuckle joint twisting freely? If not try to break it loose with a product that will free up rust. If that knuckle does not move freely (not loose), when you turn increased pressure is forced on the the suspension of the auto which might explain your problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jchaney12,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us more about your toad.  What year and how many miles?

Is the tow bar level when towing-- if not, how many inches up or down from coach to toad?

 

Ross,

Are you referring to the CV joint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jchaney12 said:

I am towing (for the first time towing anything) a Ford Fusion Hybrid on all 4 behind my RV. I'm using a Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster tow base plate on my car. Also using Invisibrake for my braking system. After towing 1400 miles, I feel like my front left bearings are making noise and have a little front end snapping noise when turning ... noises I never had before towing this car. Can towing cause these kinds of problems? Could I have done something wrong? Any suggestions or have you had similar experience?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Hybrid / Electric drive vehicles do not like to be towed in most cases 4 wheels down. Many need to be towed using a dolly or trailer.

Have you looked up the tow ability of you model year?

I'm thinking like Ross. CV joints or electric power steering issue?

Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Hybrid / Electric drive vehicles do not like to be towed in most cases 4 wheels down. Many need to be towed using a dolly or trailer.

Remco Towing's website says that 2018-2019 Fusion Hybrids can be towed 4-down.  The OP didn't state the year of his nor did I check other years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Towing it may have aggravated an already bad bearing but it shouldn't cause a good bearing to go bad.  There's a lot of cars being towed behind MHs and if it was common problem, that practice would soon end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, jchaney12 said:

I am towing (for the first time towing anything) a Ford Fusion Hybrid on all 4 behind my RV. I'm using a Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster tow base plate on my car. Also using Invisibrake for my braking system. After towing 1400 miles, I feel like my front left bearings are making noise and have a little front end snapping noise when turning ... noises I never had before towing this car. Can towing cause these kinds of problems? Could I have done something wrong? Any suggestions or have you had similar experience?

Welcome to the forum.

What year is your Ford Fusion Hybrid and how  many miles do you have on it? Ethir way I would have it looked at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 3:24 PM, wolfe10 said:

jchaney12,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us more about your toad.  What year and how many miles?

Is the tow bar level when towing-- if not, how many inches up or down from coach to toad?

 

Ross,

Are you referring to the CV joint?

No, the drawbar has a swivel between the arms and the receiver. It moves about 15-30 degrees either way. If it does not, as you turn great force is placed on the towed on the same side as you are turning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing the mileage would be a great help. From past experience, at the shop it sounds like a defective axle shaft. Does it make a clicking noise while turning in both directions or just left or right turns. If it is left turn only, then that axle shaft has gone bad or right turn only the right axle has gone bad. Very unusual that both axle shafts will go bad at the same time. It really depends on how many miles are on vehicle. Just a thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the tow bar can cause dreadful damage to the towed front end if the towbar is not correctly positioned. The bar should be as nearly level to the pavement on level ground as possible, ie. the ball on the coach should be the same number of inches from the ground as the tow points on the towed. Two inches either direction is all that I will allow on my vehicles. Too much rise in the towbar while towing will cause undue pressure on the towed front suspension, especially when climbing a grade. The incline of the bar the other way will cause not enough weight on the front of the towed which causes wobble in the toad. OP has not responded, so I hope he has found the correct answer to the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Actually, the tow bar can cause dreadful damage to the towed front end if the towbar is not correctly positioned

YUP!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about no replies. I am not getting any notifications that you guys are making comments or have questions. I'm surprised today to see so much response. Thank you very much. I am new to this forum. Is there something I need to change so I get notifications of comments here?

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 135,000 miles.

The MH is 2" higher than toad. Knuckle on my tow bar is moving freely.

By the way, my car is approved for towing on all 4s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jchaney12,

Do you remember if during your 1,400 mile trip hitting something or a deep pot hole? A deep pot hole or and alligator  (tire debris on the road) can do a lot of damage to a front end, more especially when towing.

With an auto with 135,000 miles (not to mention miles being towed) on it there are bound to be suspension components that are worn. I would start with an good shop that does suspension work.

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very common problem to have to have CV axles replace with that many miles. If the axles are bad, witch i think they are, the tow bar that is higher or lower will not cause an axle to go bad. It will cause excessive wear on tires and tie rod ends. The loading or unloading of the suspension will cause tire wear issues because the ride height will not correct while turning. Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manholt said:

JC, your just gonna have to log in daily!  There is no notification, sorry.

I get an email containing the new posts every time someone adds to this topic.  I don't know what the setting is, but whenever I post a reply to a topic or create one, I'm subscribed to that topic.  Someone with a better understanding of the forum should be able to explain how to set your profile to do the same as mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jchaney12 said:

I am not getting any notifications

Click the top right corner of the screen, (where your sign on name and avatar is displayed) there will be a drop down

  • Account settings
  • Other settings (right side of the page)
  • Notification settings

There you can click what notifications you want emails for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I could get rid of FMCA mailer and Commercial advertising!  Notification for that don't work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 9:48 PM, manholt said:

JC, your just gonna have to log in daily!  There is no notification, sorry.

I receive a daily email of followed items. The setting is in the, well, settings. This is the header:

 

Hi RayIN,
Here's the new content from your followed items for the past day.

— FMCA RV Forums – A Community of RVers
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 11:18 AM, jchaney12 said:

Sorry about no replies. I am not getting any notifications that you guys are making comments or have questions. I'm surprised today to see so much response. Thank you very much. I am new to this forum. Is there something I need to change so I get notifications of comments here?

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 135,000 miles.

The MH is 2" higher than toad. Knuckle on my tow bar is moving freely.

By the way, my car is approved for towing on all 4s.

Yep....Time for half shafts! CV joints are clicking. 135K is on target.Flat towing the car may have helped them along but certainly didn't CAUSE the parts to wear out.

I would get 3 prices for CV shafts because they really vary. Fairly easy job to change them out.I would guess,DIY, approx 1.5hrs total

Change BOTH sides,not just the side that is clicking.The other will click next month if not changed now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...