Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Onan Gets Hot And Dies

generater onan overheating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davewwd

davewwd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have an Onan Emerald 3 gen set on my 1981 Holiday Rambler. I bought it a couple months ago.

I went to start onan and ended up replacing the circuit board fuel pump, and air filter. I changed the oil, filter, and spark plugs. I ran a new fuel line to tank and put a new muffler on it. I took carb off, and cleaned it. When I start it, it sounds really good, runs for about 25 minutes, and sputters for about 10 seconds and dies, with little to no load. The engine was around 280 deg.F. I noticed mice nest around engine, I cleaned alot of nests out, blew it out with air. Started again, runs for about 25 minutes, sputters and dies, still hot.

Also, on dipstick, do I check oil level by screwing it in or just resting on the threads?

#2 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I believe its screwed in. It sounds like some of the cooling fins are still blocked. You should have a huge amount of air blowing out the bottom. Take off all the sheet metal to make sure all the fins are clear.

#3 BeauK

BeauK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Had the same problem 2 years ago with my dads unit. I replaced everything, I even replaced the carb, after $800.00 in parts I took it to the repair shop. They worked on it for 2 weeks and could not find the problem, ended up being a small hole in the intake gasket and when the generator heated up the gasket would expand and it would "suck" too much air and choke out. If I would have thought or noticed this earlier would have been less than $20.00 repair. Try it! Good Luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: generater, onan, overheating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users