Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Residental Refrigerator Problems?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sammebuck

sammebuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

We are thinking of replacing our current Dometic unit with a residential unit.

Has anyone experienced problems with this changeover I.E. failures due to vibration, power variations , etc.

Thanks for your input.

Richard and Samme (and Honor the cat)
2009 Southwind 36D
towing a 2009 Honda Fit Sport

#2 rescue7

rescue7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Our 2007 Tourmaster came with a residential referigerator, no problems yet. On the road 6 months a year.

Don

#3 Erniee

Erniee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I added a Whirlpool to our coach- never had a problem.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43

Weatherford, Tx

#4 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

We added a 21.7 CF Whirlpool about 2 years ago, not a peep out of it so far, and we live in the coach fulltime. We travel from Alabama to the west coast at least once a year, and root around the rest of the country in between. Do about 10K miles per year. It is the best improvement that you can make to your coach.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad
F294035
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#5 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I tried to run a Frigidaire 10 cu ft on my pure sine wave inverter and it would not keep running.  The compressor quit and became hot.  Plugged it into the house and it ran fine.  Glad I didn't install it first.

#6 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I tried to run a Frigidaire 10 cu ft on my pure sine wave inverter and it would not keep running.  The compressor quit and became hot.  Plugged it into the house and it ran fine.  Glad I didn't install it first.

What size PS inverter do you have? We have a 2.8K PS inverter (with 6 AGM Batterys) and it runs the RR just fine.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

F294035

#7 dennysnine

dennysnine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

We have Samsung 3 door model in our Tradition and it works great, no problems.

#8 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I tested it with a Xantrex Prosine 2000, Xantrex RS2000. both pure sine wave and a cheapy 750 watt just for kicks.  I don't know it the model I tested was defective or the compressor  was not compatible with inverter use.

#9 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

If the Xantrex inverters were working as advertised, the refrigerator should not know the difference between inverter power and residential line power! A modified sine wave inverter is another story. The 750 might not put out enough juice to run the refer.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

F294035

#10 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I can't explain it but that's the results.  The inverters run everything else.  I may try to run my home refrigerator to see if it works.

#11 wigginsjsr

wigginsjsr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

We have a 21.3 Cu. Ft. Frigidaire in our unit that came stock from the factory.  Have over 16,000 miles without any problem.  Inverter keeps it going fine when not on shore power for apx. 14 hours before AGS kicks in.  Of course, while driving the alternator keeps the batteries charged.  Like someone else said, the best thing you can add to your MH!

#12 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Has anyone experienced problems with this changeover I.E. failures due to vibration, power variations , etc.

Thanks for your input.

Do you have room to get the old refer out and the new one in without going through the windshield?  Will they fit through the door?

#13 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Most likely no on the door. Either the windshield or a side window. My coach as a large window in the drivers side slide which was used. A forklift was used to get the old Notsocold out and the new Whirlpool in. A small refer might go in the door if you are replacing a small, say 6 - 8 cf gas refer. The twelve footers won't go out the door, and a 21.7 footer sure won't go in.....

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

F294035

#14 sammebuck

sammebuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

'Have checked all dimensions on both old and new and with doors removed will fit thru entry door with 1/2" to spare. Not keen on idea of having wind shield removed.

Richard and Samme (and Honor the cat)
2009 Southwind 36D
towing a 2009 Honda Fit Sport

#15 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

'Have checked all dimensions on both old and new and with doors removed will fit thru entry door with 1/2" to spare. Not keen on idea of having wind shield removed.

That's 1/4" on each side. It's going to take a really precise effort to get it through the door without damaging something!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

F294035

#16 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Can everyone say grease and a shoe spoon?

Good Luck

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins
Whitewright, TEXAS
F302225
'02 Monaco Dynasty
40 ft 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
US Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#17 rorr1821

rorr1821

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for your input.

I installed a residential refrigerator a year ago in my Monaco Diplomat. I posted to this forum a detailed account of the installation and a followup with power requirements. I have had no problems but we are not fulltime and only use the unit 6 months or less each year. However that being said many OEM manufacture's are installing residential refrigerators as standard equipment. I would submit that these units are not going to fail because they are in a MH. I personally believe using a pure sine wave inverter over modified sine wave provides an added degree of assurance of not having an electrical issue. However, I have seen several post of person's who are using modified sine wave inverters without a problem. I would also say I would never own another MH unless it had a residential refrigerator. Good luck and do your research before you make a decision. 

Ray

#18 tomgauger

tomgauger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

The Whirlpool I installed was not at all happy with the Xantrex 3kw modified sine wave inverter in my '01 Monaco Exec. I bought a 1kw pure sine wave inverter just for the Whirlpool. It's adequate since the Whirlpool draws around two amps or less after it starts. However, the initial start, particularly if you don't wait a few minutes before switching from shore power to the inverter, will often trip the GFI on the inverter. 

I should have gotten a larger unit... the 2kw would have been perfect.

Love the Whirlpool! Ice cream every night!!!

#19 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Whirlpool refrigerator in 2011 and have traveled with it since.  Summer and winter, it works great.  We haven't altered the original 4 x 6V battery setup that came standard with our rig.  The refrigerator runs all night with no problem.  If we're using the furnace the batteries will be ready for a full charge in the morning but on a normal temperature night it is no problem.  I wrote up the whole process in detail complete with photos.  See http://community.fmc...d-refrigerator/ in this forum for details.  I'd never have a coach with anything but a residential refrigerator again. 

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users