Photo
- - - - -

Final Results - BlueOX AventaLX, Swagman XC-2 & Roadmaster 2" Dual Drop Receiver

BlueOx Avental LX Swagman Roadmaster

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Posed this ??? on another Forum.  Not sure if many or anyone is using this combination to haul bikes around on the back of the Motorhome.

So,

Here's one I haven't seen.

Does anyone use a Blue OX Aventa LX Towbar, with a Roadmaster 2" Dual Drop Hitch Receiver with a Swagman XC-2 Bike Carrier installed.

Does the Swagman XC-2 Bike Carrier clear the top of the receiver (notch) where the Blue OX Aventa Tow Bar sits when not in use?

th_2ce9a0d52a591100fdb3efe9066bc3bf_xc2f

th_2ce9a0d52a591100fdb3efe9066bc3bf_1287

blue-ox-aventa-lx-head-unit-bx7445.jpg

blue-ox-aventa-lx-tow-bar-bx7445-main.jp

It looks like the angle of the Swagman elevates enough to clear the Aventa LX

dual.png

Roadmaster  2 "Dual Drop Receiver

2006 Allegro 34WA Open Roads 8.1L Workhorse W20

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#2 Kevin510

Kevin510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

I was going to try this set up as well but found that I was going to have turning clearance issues.  If I was to turn to sharp, our Jeep would hit the bike rack but I also have the XCT-4 which may stick out quite a bit further than your 2 bike set up. 

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3670
2006 Jeep Commander HEMI toad

#3 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I was going to try this set up as well but found that I was going to have turning clearance issues.  If I was to turn to sharp, our Jeep would hit the bike rack but I also have the XCT-4 which may stick out quite a bit further than your 2 bike set up. 

I can see where the 4 bike carrier would be out there.  We just need the 2 bike carrier.  the sonic sits lower than a jeep and it should be alright for turning.

The dual drop hitch has 2 slots for an extended position, which I believe will give me the distance and turn radius.

I Just need to clear the notch on top of the tow bar with the bike carrier inserted.  

The safety cables and the plug will reach in the extended position.  

Thanks for the info.

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#4 Kevin510

Kevin510

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think you will be alright.  Mine cleared with no problems so I would think that the 2 bike rack would be ok to.  And your right.  Ours would have worked if we would've had a lower toad.  Good luck.

2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3670
2006 Jeep Commander HEMI toad

#5 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Again, thanks for the info.  Going to try and match them up in a couple of weeks.  

Safe Travels

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#6 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think you will be alright.  Mine cleared with no problems so I would think that the 2 bike rack would be ok to.  And your right.  Ours would have worked if we would've had a lower toad.  Good luck.

I have the same set up with a single drop hitch and three bike carrier and it works fine.

#7 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have the same set up with a single drop hitch and three bike carrier and it works fine.

I'll know week after next.  I have the bike 2 bike rack in storage, and will pick it up in a week or so.  Thanks for the feedback.  

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#8 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

To aviod this problem, I put a hitch on rear of the towed auto, installed the bike rack there, and had no problems.  Additionally, I could then haul the bikes with the auto without the motor home to see the sights.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

2006 Fleetwood Expedition 37U

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#9 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

To aviod this problem, I put a hitch on rear of the towed auto, installed the bike rack there, and had no problems.  Additionally, I could then haul the bikes with the auto without the motor home to see the sights.

That's how I had it setup with the Jeep.  That was the reason for the XC-2, which has proven to be a great little bike carrier.I liked the setup ok, having the bikes on the back of the MH will be almost as good as a garage.  

Don't want to install a hitch on the Sonic.  I think the setup will work with carrying them on the back of the MH.  If not, I'll go to a 4" inch Dual Drop Receiver.

OR Maybe I should just buy another Jeep, hmmmm, now there's a thought.  The little Sonic tows nice, fun to drive and great mpg, but it's not a Jeep.

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

#10 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

That's how I had it setup with the Jeep.  That was the reason for the XC-2, which has proven to be a great little bike carrier.I liked the setup ok, having the bikes on the back of the MH will be almost as good as a garage.  

Don't want to install a hitch on the Sonic.  I think the setup will work with carrying them on the back of the MH.  If not, I'll go to a 4" inch Dual Drop Receiver.

OR Maybe I should just buy another Jeep, hmmmm, now there's a thought.  The little Sonic tows nice, fun to drive and great mpg, but it's not a Jeep.

YEP! :rolleyes:

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad
F294035
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#11 Xplorer

Xplorer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

The Roadmaster 2" Dual Drop Receiver works great with the Swagman Bike Carrier.  

The Blue Ox tow bar can be seated and removed from the holding slot with a little maneuvering.

There is plenty of turn radius when towing the Sonic.  Plenty of room when making turns.

Good combination that works well.

Thanks for all the input.

2013 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ

TST 507RV TPMS

2009 Brake Buddy Classic

2009 Blue Ox Aventa LX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BlueOx Avental LX, Swagman, Roadmaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users