huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Recommended Posts

I usually call ahead a day or so to see if they have availability. They usually will tell you how many sites they have open or if they are full-up. Of course, things change when you get there.  We have had extremely good luck staying at the military fam-camps.  

Where are you heading to?  Are you trying to get out of the cold for the Winter?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

I usually call ahead a day or so to see if they have availability. They usually will tell you how many sites they have open or if they are full-up. Of course, things change when you get there.  We have had extremely good luck staying at the military fam-camps.  

Where are you heading to?  Are you trying to get out of the cold for the Winter?

 

That is what I'm doing so far and some we had to dry camp a day or two  We are heading east on i-10 then work our way up to 40 past Texas to North Carolina.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could run I-10 all the way to I-95 then go north. Depends on where in NC you are headed.

One outher way is to do I-10 to where I-20 splits off in west Texas then follow I-20 to where it joins I-30 in Fort Worth then to Little Rock and pick up I-40 there. If you do go that way use I-20 around the south of the Fort Worth Dallas area and follow 635 north to I-30.:) 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

You could run I-10 all the way to I-95 then go north. Depends on where in NC you are headed.

One outher way is to do I-10 to where I-20 splits off in west Texas then follow I-20 to where it joins I-30 in Fort Worth then to Little Rock and pick up I-40 there. If you do go that way use I-20 around the south of the Fort Worth Dallas area and follow 635 north to I-30.:) 

Bill

We have shifted our plans and leaving for Yuma  AZ tomorrow morning  We will hit El Paso a few days later  DW cancelled Dallas stop so I have to figure new stop along the way   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray and Hana,

If your route takes you through Houston area you are more than welcome to hook-up at our house.  We are 35 miles north of I-10 along the I-45 corridor.  We have 50a, 30a service and you'll be on concrete.  No sewer dump yet though.

Send me a PM and I'll forward our address to you so you can google it.

Safe travels.......Blake and Deb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, huffypuff said:

We have shifted our plans and leaving for Yuma  AZ tomorrow morning  We will hit El Paso a few days later  DW cancelled Dallas stop so I have to figure new stop along the way   

What does she have against Dallas?^_^

Well that is still I-10 to I-20 I would stop before Hitting the DFW area on I-20 look at Cowtown RV Park, 7000 I-20 Frontage RD, Aledo, Texas 76008,  cowtownrvpark.com, (817)441-7878.

My next recommended stop is in Little Rock (this is my favorite first night stop heading east on I-30) Downtown Riverside RV Park, 50 Riverfront Dr, North Little Rock, AR 72114, downtownriversidervpark.com, (501) 340-5312. Nice right on the banks of the Arkansas River.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Perhaps it's the high five interstate? I have heard about this but never experienced it. 

For those who don't know what that is here's a video showing all the different ways through it (some have way to much time) and different approaches.  There is nothing to be scared of unless you are on the upper levels in a ice storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSaUAC7cbOY

We have so much traffic we have to have 2 I-35 freeways one 35E and 35W. I wish I had a video of the construction on I-35W and North 820. Maybe I just wish I had a concrete factory.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, huffypuff said:

Made it to Yuma, thanks for the suggestions  We will decide before Wednesday  

Glad you made it in safe and sound. If your next stop is El Paso that is a long day You might want to spend the night in Tucson. That is about half way. I know I don't like those 500+ mile days. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Glad you made it in safe and sound. If your next stop is El Paso that is a long day You might want to spend the night in Tucson. That is about half way. I know I don't like those 500+ mile days. 

Bill

Yes , with the change of plan made El Paso a giant step so we have to divide that stop  Good suggestion of Tucson stop and I have check the fam camp book tomorrow   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayne,

How are those two Fam Camps? We are looking at staying at both on the way to Chandler. Though I am not retired military the couple we will be traveling with,he, is. If you are ever in GA. the Fam Camp at Ft. Benning is a beautiful camp Uchee Fam Camp.  

Another nice place to stop if going through Oklahoma is in Shawnee, the Heart of Oklahoma Expo Center. They have over 300 30/50 amp full hookups for $25.00/ night.

Safe Holiday travels to all.

 

Herman & Bobbie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jleamont   
11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

For those who don't know what that is here's a video showing all the different ways through it (some have way to much time) and different approaches.  There is nothing to be scared of unless you are on the upper levels in a ice storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSaUAC7cbOY

We have so much traffic we have to have 2 I-35 freeways one 35E and 35W. I wish I had a video of the construction on I-35W and North 820. Maybe I just wish I had a concrete factory.

Bill

We were at our HR club Christmas luncheon on Saturday swapping stories, this interchange came up in discussion, one couple had to cross it in an ice storm with their coach :blink:.

Puff, glad you are making progress. That I-10 has to be the most unentertaining road, hopefully the weather stays decent for you. Be safe!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we are going the long haul to Fort Sill near El Paso, TX tomorrow.  DW don't like the short hops as she feel it is wasting time.  Have to leave early in the morning.  I picked up new outside step covers today and installed them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Looks like we are going the long haul to Fort Sill near El Paso, TX tomorrow  DW don't like the short hops as she feel it is wasting time  have to leave early in the morning  I picked up new outside step covers today and installed them   

I thought you were retired?;) If you do take lots of brakes. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray, 

Just a correction. Ft Bliss is in El Paso, Texas while Ft. Sill in in Lawton, Oklahoma. :o There is a difference of close to 700 miles. Sound like you and Hanna are moving right along on your trip. As said before Stop along the way and smell the sage brush, you are going through West Texas.

Now wipe your feet on the new step covers.:P

Herman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Ray, 

Just a correction. Ft Bliss is in El Paso, Texas while Ft. Sill in in Lawton, Oklahoma. :o There is a difference of close to 700 miles. Sound like you and Hanna are moving right along on your trip. As said before Stop along the way and smell the sage brush, you are going through West Texas.

Now wipe your feet on the new step covers.:P

Herman 

Yes, we are at Fort Bliss, my senior moment  I demanded a day of rest and the DW picked a few things to do while here.   Three night stay. From here looks like we we be taking I-20 to close of Atlanta, GA  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jleamont   

Ok, if you are headed up I-20 stop at Tannehill Iron works state park. Its 10 minutes off of I-20 north of Tuscaloosa AL. They have full hook ups (50 amp) and pull through sites, the place is beautiful. If it were me I would spend a day or two there and just take in all of the history at the CG.

here's the link

http://www.tannehill.org/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

El Paso, TX to Atlanta, GA?  That's a 1400 mile trip!  Hope you have a couple of stops planned along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BillAdams said:

El Paso, TX to Atlanta, GA?  That's a 1400 mile trip!  Hope you have a couple of stops planned along the way.

Yes we have a few stops on the way  The first one before Dallas, the second one in Louisiana  Maybe we spend more time in Texas on the way back  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now