• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sunriff

sunriff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

We are replacing our big TV with a light weight Flat Screened Emerson 32". Can anyone tell me if this will withstand the bouncing going down the road. Or could anyone tell me what is the best to get and which mount is good to use. Thank you

#2 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I don't think that anyone can guarantee that a particular brand or type of TV will withstand the road shock in a motor home, but I have installed LCD TVs in 3 different motor homes. Those motor homes have traveled 12,000 to 20,000 miles per year for at last 3 years without difficulty. The brand I used was Toshiba. I liked the ability with the Toshiba TV to make the connections from the antenna, DirecTV, and outside cable at the TV which allowed me to switch between those sources with the Remote. The real key is how well you mount the TV to reduce residual vibration. I made my own mountings using flat bar and angle aluminum stock from a big box store. I do not have pictures to share. I was able to provide a pivot to allow access to the rear of the TV to work with the wiring. There was enough space behind the new TV to install the base speaker for the surround sound which gave me additional foot and leg space at the drivers seat.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

2006 Fleetwood Expedition 37U

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#3 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

My front TV is a Samsung LED 40 inch which 1.2 inches thick. I made a mount out of aluminum angle and hinged it from the top and used gas struts. I made a new cabinet which is about 10 inches thick with shelves for dvds. I've had it for 3 years and 20k miles. I've used flat screen TVs for 10 years with no problems.

#4 Wayne77590

Wayne77590

USMC (Ret)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I replaced my 30" with a 36" LCD. It has been in a couple years now and I have had no problems with it.

I modified the enclosure (mid coach) and used a full artiulating arm. When we are moving i strap it in tight.

Wayne, MSgt, USMC (Ret)

2008 Winnebago Destination

2013 Lincoln MKX

#5 JacknKay

JacknKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I am in the middle of changing out our front 25" CRT with a new 32" LED. The LED TVs are lighter, and the one I got, a JVC weighs in at 9.5 lbs. The reason I got this size is that it will fit within the old enclosure and a 40" would be too big. I am getting a stationairy mount from CW that I will need to mount to a piece of 3/4" plywood. The plywood also fits within the old enclosure and will be anchored to 2X4" on each side. There should be enough room at the bottom on the enclosure to have a shelf for the DVD player and a sound-bar, (if I decide I want that). I do have to build a new face-frame to replace the one I removed, I think I have the skills to that.
Jack & Kay
Tiffin Allegro 28DA
FMCA #341229
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Towing 94 Honda Accord

#6 JacknKay

JacknKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Here's a picture of my LED TV that I installed this Winter.

IMG_0276.jpg
What the TV used to look like.
IMG_2878.jpg
What it looks like now.
Jack & Kay
Tiffin Allegro 28DA
FMCA #341229
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Towing 94 Honda Accord

#7 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Tell me about it Jack. I just removed our CRT and replaced it with a 32" Vizio. I cut my cabnit back 7" and reinstalled every thing. Removeing the old CRT should improve my MPG with that reduction in weight.

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#8 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Tell me about it Jack. I just removed our CRT and replaced it with a 32" Vizio. I cut my cabnit back 7" and reinstalled every thing. Removeing the old CRT should improve my MPG with that reduction in weight.

Herman

Good thinking Herman!

#9 GREGORYJ

GREGORYJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

I installed a LED LCD tv into the orginal wooden cabinet in place of the old CRT tv. The new tv was about 1/4 narrower than the cabinet

inside width so was mounted in from behind and held in place with wood trim strips behind the tv. So no tv mounting kit was used.

A gap at the top had to be fill with a piece of maple that matched the cabinet.  LED tv's are very thin & light so mount easily. I think the

Westinghouse 32" model I used weighted 14 lbs.

Ellen & Greg

05 National Dolphin 5342

Workhorse W22

#10 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

On the installs that I do, I angle the tv downward so that the center of the screen up and down is at 90 degrees aimed at you eyes.  This gives you the best picture.

#11 tennsmith

tennsmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I replaced the 25" boat anchor in my Itasca Horizon with a 32" LED TV (widest that would fit in between the cabinets on each side) and have had no problems.  I utilized the metal shelf which the former set occupied to bear the weight of the new TV which was less than 20 pounds and fabricated a mount that would attach to the standard wall mounting provisions on the back of the set to hold it in the proper position.  I've got pictures and a description of how to do it...send PM if you are interested.

The finished installation is pictured below:

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 18-Front View.JPG

#12 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

Here is the link to the post on my TV replacements, front and rear.  There are pictures with my post.  I did this in March of 2009, 50,000 miles ago and both TV's are going strong, no problems whatsoever.  I didn't go into detail on the mounting bracket but it was a rectangle made to fit the inside width of the cabinet.  The height of the rectangle was three inches greater than the spacing of the mounting lugs on the rear of the TV.  Vertical members were installed spaced horizontally to match the mounting lugs on the TV.  Holes were drilled to match.  I've had no problems with that mount.  As a bonus, I was able to cut down the size of the cabinet both in vertical dimension and also in depth of the cabinet.  I hit my head much less often than I used to!  Casual visitors would have to work to hit the cabinet as they come up the stairs now.

Note that the second TV I purchased had plastic mounting lugs and would not have worked in this application.  Check any TV that you purchase to be sure that the mounting lugs are metal and firmly secured to the frame of the TV itself.  If I had read the mounting instructions I would have suspected this but I bought the second TV as a close-out when Circuit City went out of business.  I had to download the owners manual after I had purchased the TV.  The owners manual specified that the TV must be mounted vertically, not tilted.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#13 messner

messner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

2003 Fleetwood Bounder, 32W, Gas, TV Upgrade.

I'm about to upgrade our front TV in the overhead from the old tube Panasonic to a LED Flatscreen.

I am hoping to be able to watch TV off of our batteries when we are not plugged in and without the generator running (We needed either of these for the old TV to work).

The new TV draws 65W.

My questions are:

1. Is it feasible that I can run direct from my Coach batteries (2 new 6 volt Golf Cart type). 

2. Any tips on where to draw the power from and/or how?

- Our recepticles only work on 110 when plugged in or from the genny when on. (we are trying to avoid this when boondocking).
- Up front there are 3 x 12V cig lighters but they appear to only come off the chassis battery?

Any help sure is appreciated!

Jim

#14 RILIJO

RILIJO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

I posted a note in 2013 that is was interested in replacing the TVs in my 2002 Winnebago Journey, I received a note last week about the mounts used. I decided to have it done at Holland Motor Homes in Holland, Michigan. They did a great job but I am not sure what type of mounts they used. If you call Scott at Holland Motor Homes I am sure he could tell you.

#15 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

2003 Fleetwood Bounder, 32W, Gas, TV Upgrade.

I'm about to upgrade our front TV in the overhead from the old tube Panasonic to a LED Flatscreen.

I am hoping to be able to watch TV off of our batteries when we are not plugged in and without the generator running (We needed either of these for the old TV to work).

The new TV draws 65W.

My questions are:

1. Is it feasible that I can run direct from my Coach batteries (2 new 6 volt Golf Cart type). 

2. Any tips on where to draw the power from and/or how?

- Our recepticles only work on 110 when plugged in or from the genny when on. (we are trying to avoid this when boondocking).
- Up front there are 3 x 12V cig lighters but they appear to only come off the chassis battery?

Any help sure is appreciated!

Jim

You will need an inverter which should be a pure sine wave type.  They come in different watt ratings, 200-400 watt should work well.  The inverter will be wired direct to the batteries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users