• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gjbaird

gjbaird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

My slide rubber gaskets doesn't always flip over when I extend my slides and I have to put my finger under the rubber to flip it out.

Does any one know how I can get the rubber to flip out when I extend the slides?

#2 paddler54

paddler54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

I've always been told to use silicon spay on both sides of the gasket and to wax the slide side wall.  This seems to help the gasket stay flexible and flip when the slide is moving in or out.   However, I have a couple of slide gaskets on our rig that will not flip no matter what I put on the gasket.   So, like you, I have to run a finger along the gasket to pull it out.

#3 Markstella

Markstella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

I've noticed that some coach builders put a diagonal strip on the slide boxes that fold the gasket out when the slide is extended.  I want to say maybe Monaco and Tiffin.

#4 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

gjbaird,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Keeping the seals lubricated with silicon as mentioned and cleaning and waxing the slide surfaces also helps.

One can clean the inner portion (set of seals) when the slide is pulled in just a little and the same goes for the top surface / roof of the slide in most cases. 6in. to a foot should be plenty and it can be done from inside using just a short step stool.

Should you be a non climber cleaning and siliconing the outside seals, primarily the top ones if you have slide toppers can be challenging.

Rich.

#5 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Those strips are not really seals but are there to squeegee water and debris from the slides as they are retracted.

The bulb seals on the top, sides and bottom of the slide frame are what actually do the sealing. Whether the squeegee strips flip completely or not is pretty much a non-issue.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#6 gjbaird

gjbaird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for all the help. I'll give it a try

#7 rockylarson

rockylarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

I keep my awning rod/hook handy. The round end inserted under the seal and ran up or down causes the seal to flip in the correct orientation.

Rocky
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2003 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300watts Solar, 7 group 31 Optima AGM's, 2000watt  Ames PSW inverter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users