• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mypopslou

Mypopslou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Read all the information about the transmission on Ford Fusion failing even though Ford says it can be towed 4 wheels down and decided I was not going to take the chance. I bought a new 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport and the owners manual gives you very clear step by step instructions for recreational towing. The last step is the one I need help with, it says to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. I use an EvenBrake as my supplemental brake and it needs power. Is the reason to disconnect the battery to protect it from discharge or by disconnecting the battery are there other systems that need to be powered down to avoid damage.

I plan on taking my new Jeep to Camping World to install the new base plate and electrical and I want to be sure to have them connect power from Motorhome if it is absolutely necessary to disconnect the battery on my Jeep.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Mypopslou

2006 Damon Tuscany

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

#2 F313653

F313653

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Location:Victoria, BC, Zihuatanejo Mexico or anywhere in between

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

We too are towing a 2014 Wrangler. I think the reason for disconnecting the battery is so that with the key in the ON position, to unlock the steering wheel, the battery won't be drained. HOWEVER as far as I know Jeep Wranglers have not had a steering wheel lock for several years! I think their manual needs updating. I have seen this same info on other forums as well such as RV.NET

When we bought it a few months ago we asked at the dealer and they were not able to find any information about it, even using the VIN to search for info on their own site. They did check the vehicle and found that even without the key the steering wheel would turn, ie, there is no steering wheel lock. We do not disconnect the battery. We have not towed it much, only when taking the motorhome into the mechanic for work a couple of times, Maybe 50 miles or so. However, part of that was on VERY sharp curves and the Wrangler front wheel did track around the curves.

I really hope we can get Jeep to truly answer this question

Art and Gillian

#3 Medico

Medico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

I believe most Jeep steering wheel locks were removed around 2008. If your Wrangler has a steering wheel lock, it has been changed for 2014.

With my 2012 Liberty, I shift the Transfer Case to Neutral, put the transmission into Park and remove the key. I have been towing it for a year and a half in this manner.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655

2006 Country Coach Magna (525 HP Cat C13 1650 torque, Alison 4000 6 speed tranny), 2012 Jeep Liberty

CountryCoachMagna1med_zps83669550.jpg

#4 Elkhartjim

Elkhartjim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

I'm on a trip now and towed our 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport over 2000 miles without disconnecting the battery.  I place the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park with the key off, doors locked and the key in my pocket.  My tail lights are separate bulbs and I have the M&G Engineering braking system therefore I'm not using any voltage from the Jeep battery.  Also, I've towed as long as three days, 600 miles without ever starting the Jeep. My manual doesn't say anything about disconnecting the battery.

I also have a 2006 Jeep Wrangle Unlimited Sport that I sometimes tow.  I need to leave the key in the unlocked position for the steering wheel to be unlocked. I've towed it over 6000 miles without any battery issues.

If you are a member of the Jeep Wrangler Forum, you will notice comments regularly about the Jeep owners manuals being inaccurate on various subjects.

The most important thing: Now that you're a Jeep owner you need to remember to wave when meeting another Jeep...don't offend us by not being friendly. You'll soon find out, being a Jeeples is almost being in a cult.

Jim Sims
2008 38S Fleetwood Bounder DP

Houston, TX area

#5 Mypopslou

Mypopslou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Jim, I realized that on my drive home from the dealership, ever other Jeep Wrangler that passed me on the road waved. It did not take me long to catch on and now I am keenly aware of any other Jeep passing by....I love it

Another question, I love to make sure my vehicles stay nice a long time so I am always making sure they have a good coat of wax. What do I use on my black hard top and my black fender that are plastic type. If I use wax I will never get it off completely and that will look terrible, but I do not know what to use to keep them looking good short of Amour All and that will not last long.

Any idea's??

Mypopslou

2006 Damon Tuscany

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

#6 Elkhartjim

Elkhartjim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Join the Jeep Wrangler forum if you want to be a real jeeples.  Smile and wave...

Jim Sims
2008 38S Fleetwood Bounder DP

Houston, TX area

#7 Mypopslou

Mypopslou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Jim, thanks, can I get 303 Aerospace Protectant at any auto parts store or Camping World? Looking for Jeep Wrangler Forum now and will join when I find it

Thanks

Mypopslou

2006 Damon Tuscany

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users