hermanmullins

Whats Cooking, Who Is Where, Off The Subject & Memories

manholt   

Herman, next time you and Bobbie (the good looking one), are headed to the Cattleman's, give us a heads up! :)

Merry Christmas to all !  From Carl and Linda

Just a tip for your skillet corn bread, preheat the skillet with a dab of shortening on the stove top just until the shortening melts then pour the mix in and bake. The crust will come out a golden crispy brown. 

Dab is a technical cooking term we Texans use. Only use sweet milk in a glass of crumbled cornbread. 

I'm making chili today and preparing for the big freeze. They are predicting 60+ hours below freezing in the Texas Hill Country and for us southerners that's cold and cold for a long time. 

Big pot of Beef Stew on the stove as we speak. Jim you missed "a smidgen, two fingers, hep-pen spoon full" and a bunch more I can't remember just now. I rec-conn you know some to.

Herman

manholt   

It's 2018.  Colder than a well diggers A$$ !

Last night was a choice of Texas Chili by Linda, some strange version of same from Ohio (winter Texans) with beans and tomatoes...ugh!  Also a potato stew (from Minnesota) that was very good.  I had 2 bowls of Linda's Chili and one bowl of Potato stew...still full. :wub:

Joe.  Your cornbread looks more like a pancake! :lol: CB and sweet milk or half & half.  Just don't use CB with jalapenos in it...yuk with milk! :P

I'm making a ground beef Mexican soup for tonight...Linda is doing a ham for serving a crowed of 10 at 2pm.  Soup is for us about 7pm! :) Then I get a lot of good left overs for 2 days!

Hunker down and stay warm!!! LOL 

jleamont   

Carl, it didn't taste that good either, I've got to work on that...quite a bit :lol:.

5 degrees here :o my winter coach work plans just got shoved aside. Supposed to have a heat wave on the 8th upper 30's :wacko:

manholt   

LMAO.  Joe, use a muffin mix, comes in a blue box and gives directions.  That will be your basic of the consistency your looking for, I like to add a small can of creamy sweet corn and less milk...play with it and you'll find what you like when using a cast iron fry pan.  If it's a big fry pan and deep, use 2 boxes! :)

It's 30 and feels like 19 here, at the Ranch it's 17 and feels like 8 according to Lind's son!  Also, it snowed yesterday! :unsure::wacko: Glad we are here!!!:D

• Ok guys, here is one to try and Carl needs to wash his mouth out....Jiffy. Lands o'goshing. 
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir together.

Measure the buttermilk and milk into a measuring cup and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.

In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup shortening in the microwave. Slowly add the melted shortening to the batter, stirring until just combined.

In a cast-iron skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons shortening over medium heat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. (The batter should sizzle.) Spread to even out the surface. Cook on the stovetop for 1 minute, and then transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. The edges should be crispy!

rfsod48   

You guys are wimps! Had -11 yesterday and today heat wave of -4. We are leaving Saturday, high of 13, you better get Texas warm for me when we pass thru.

Roland

32 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

You guys are wimps! Had -11 yesterday and today heat wave of -4. We are leaving Saturday, high of 13, you better get Texas warm for me when we pass thru.

Roland

Roland, You should be good. Keep an eye on the weather. http://www.wfaa.com/weather 

So you don't have any surprises.

The main problem I have is it doesn't get cold long enough to get use to it. 18 today with a wind chill of 5. Sat it should be in the 60s.

Bill

rfsod48   

Bill, I don’t think I ever get use to it! I have lived in the north all of my 70 years and I still hate winter. We have been snowbirds for 5 years which helps but when we have a hard winter like this one it is not fun. Love the spring, summer and fall here but winter sucks.

Roland

I have not. Actually, it has been a busy time for me. I wish they had picked a different time period. It's still 25 here at Canyon Lake. I bet that north wind pushed you and Linda to Three Rivers yesterday.

I went as long as I could on the survey. To many links were not working or took me back to the same page I was on.  I made a list and sent it back to Rachel.

In a previous thread that went way off topic there was "conversation" regarding the use of names instead of aliases.

I do you my first name but because this is an open forum, and that means anyone with a computer can read anything on this forum, I try to keep my personal stuff to a minimum.  It's not because of the members on here but the ability of anyone to read who I am, where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, etc.   I spent to long in serivice getting schooled on "social engineering."

So, be careful what you say. I may be listening. :ph34r:

I had a similar experience on the new site and gave up after about an hour. Rachel had emailed me they had been testing it and just needed another set of eyes to look at it. From my one hour trial seems to me they need another programmer. In my opinion, they have a long  way to go before going live with the new site. 

Wayne, aren't there programs to query sites for phone numbers and addresses?

Herman,

Any program can be written to harvest whatever one wants to harvest.  I run a program (commercial) called Ghostery. It is like AdBlock + as it blocks the trackers and believe me there are a lot of them.  An example is on the unread content of the FMCA forum there is 1 tracker, Google Analytics, that tracks and reports web site traffic. Not bad but then I don't want to be tracked no matter where I go on the Internet.  For those times I really don't want to be tracked I use a VPN and then the private browsing feature of my web browser.

Have you ever visited a web site and then all of a sudden you start getting emails from them or subscriptions.  Somehow they harvested you email address but whatever means at their disposal. Here is a good article on one method How do web sites get email addresses

In the past there were, and probably still are, programs that were written that were somehow allowed to access private computers (think virus). This program would search all data documents and email for email addresses.  The program may be a simple one that just searches for the "@" sign. Then it would parse it for anything previous to the "@" sign up to a space (no spaces in email) and then parse for anything after the "@" sign for a space. It would then harvest that information and send it back to the "virus" writer. 

Think of all the emails that are forwarded with friends, relatives, etc., in the TO, or CC line.  Here is a good article on email and using the BCC field: Use BCC for sending email

--------------------------------

Anyone who knows my name can get my phone number, unfortunately, and my address, associated with people, etc.  Much of it is because my kids used me as reference in obtaining loans or renting homes or apartments. So be it. Nothing I can do about that.  If anyone uses the internet they can be found. The only prerequisite is how much money one wants to spend finding someone.  Years ago searching for information was free. Then someone found how lucrative a business it could be and started charging for the services.  Even the "whitepages" has limitations now and wants money. 

Try finding my web site.

Oh, if you know an IP address you can at the minimum find out what city it is in...prelude to social enginering.  Do the numbers 5598 mean anything to you

Here is another peeve of mine.

It used to be that when you search for something on the internet you would get, relatively. what you searched for and if you put it between "quote" marks it was real good.  Now when you search for something the "analyitics" give you things they "think" you want to see.  No, I want to see what I searched for. If you put the search criteria inside "quote" marks it will give you a "not found" quote and then list what it thinks it knows what you want.  Much of this is tracking. They want to know where you go on the web so they can target you with ads in your area.