Punxsyjumper

Our First Motorhome

Recommended Posts

Yep, as some say the best coast. I would also look at the Texas hill country. Look at Fredericksburg, San Antonio, Bandera. In the valley look at McAllen, Harlingen, Corpus Christi. That will keep you busey for a while.;)

Bill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yep, as some say the best coast. I would also look at the Texas hill country. Look at Fredericksburg, San Antonio, Bandera. In the valley look at McAllen, Harlingen, Corpus Christi. That will keep you busey for a while.;)

Bill

 

Awesome, thanks Bill. We did spend some time in San Antonio and liked it. Will look at the others for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TBUTLER   

Our first winter out we stopped in San Antonio for a month (December).  It's a lovely town and I enjoy visiting on our way into and out of the RGV (Rio Grande Valley).  That first visit we decided the weather was cooler than we wanted so we continued on south to the RGV and have been staying there ever since.  We've made Edinburg our home.  After spending eight winters living in the motor home, we put a mobile home in a park there.  We park our motor home next to our mobile which is very convenient.  Each spring we pick up and head north to visit with family and tour parts of the US and Canada we haven't yet seen. 

Winter in the RGV is mild, seldom more than a couple of days below freezing.  Winter type weather (cooler, cloudy) is usually confined to the months of December, January and February.  We've experienced wet winters and dry winters.  This last year the winter was mostly the month of November and we had pretty mild conditions after that.  There is always a breeze in the RGV.  Frequently it is a Texas sized breeze.  Typically we're playing golf in 15 to 20 mile per hour winds.  Even more fun is playing tennis in that kind of wind. 

The cost of living is very reasonable in the area.  I just wrote a check for our annual lot rental.  We are paying less than $300 per month (less than $3600) for an annual contract.  RV lots are less expensive but if not on an annual contract the price will higher than the annual rate.  Of course those rates vary from park to park depending on the facilities they offer.  There are over 50 RV parks to choose from in the area with a range of conveniences from almost none to very nice full service parks.  Many of the parks have a regular program of recreation, entertainment and social events throughout the winter months. 

We are just 80 miles from South Padre Island if we want sea coast.  There are several RV parks on SPI. The McAllen/Mission/Edinburg/Pharr area is one large metropolitan area with all the stores and restaurants you would expect.  There are numerous nature areas featuring the unique wildlife found along the southern border.  The area is famous for the many birds and butterflies that cross the border and are found nowhere else in the US.  There is a new performing arts center in McAllen and there are traveling shows regularly scheduled into the center. 

You should at least come spend a few days or weeks in the RGV just to see the area.  We came to try it out for a few days and found a home base.  I always recommend that you book into a park for whatever length of time you are comfortable with and then go exploring to see other parks and their facilities.  There are so many choices available you should be able to find a "fit" among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBUTLER said:

Our first winter out we stopped in San Antonio for a month (December).  It's a lovely town and I enjoy visiting on our way into and out of the RGV (Rio Grande Valley).  That first visit we decided the weather was cooler than we wanted so we continued on south to the RGV and have been staying there ever since.  We've made Edinburg our home.  After spending eight winters living in the motor home, we put a mobile home in a park there.  We park our motor home next to our mobile which is very convenient.  Each spring we pick up and head north to visit with family and tour parts of the US and Canada we haven't yet seen. 

Winter in the RGV is mild, seldom more than a couple of days below freezing.  Winter type weather (cooler, cloudy) is usually confined to the months of December, January and February.  We've experienced wet winters and dry winters.  This last year the winter was mostly the month of November and we had pretty mild conditions after that.  There is always a breeze in the RGV.  Frequently it is a Texas sized breeze.  Typically we're playing golf in 15 to 20 mile per hour winds.  Even more fun is playing tennis in that kind of wind. 

The cost of living is very reasonable in the area.  I just wrote a check for our annual lot rental.  We are paying less than $300 per month (less than $3600) for an annual contract.  RV lots are less expensive but if not on an annual contract the price will higher than the annual rate.  Of course those rates vary from park to park depending on the facilities they offer.  There are over 50 RV parks to choose from in the area with a range of conveniences from almost none to very nice full service parks.  Many of the parks have a regular program of recreation, entertainment and social events throughout the winter months. 

We are just 80 miles from South Padre Island if we want sea coast.  There are several RV parks on SPI. The McAllen/Mission/Edinburg/Pharr area is one large metropolitan area with all the stores and restaurants you would expect.  There are numerous nature areas featuring the unique wildlife found along the southern border.  The area is famous for the many birds and butterflies that cross the border and are found nowhere else in the US.  There is a new performing arts center in McAllen and there are traveling shows regularly scheduled into the center. 

You should at least come spend a few days or weeks in the RGV just to see the area.  We came to try it out for a few days and found a home base.  I always recommend that you book into a park for whatever length of time you are comfortable with and then go exploring to see other parks and their facilities.  There are so many choices available you should be able to find a "fit" among them.

Good advice indeed and yes, we will be visiting the area. Might not be till next year though in the spring. This fall we are heading straight to SD to get our residency lined up. Then it will be west through WY and into OR. I have an Aunt there to visit. Then south through CA and ove the border to Pahrump. Def going to check out the RGV. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brucelowry615 said:

As far as tire covers, I just got Snap Ring Tire Covers by Covercraft. Spread the split ring and tuck it behind the wheel.  Very easy...

Thanks Bruce, they look good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fagnaml   

Nice looking Astoria!  There are not a lot of Damon motorhome owners that I've found on the FMCA forums.  What is the year and model of your Astoria?   My Astoria (2007 model 3774 shown below) has been great as a family toy for LSU football weekends and my wife's and my occasional weekend escape from our busy careers and crazy Houston.  Perhaps we should start our own two person Damon Astoria page on the forum ! :lol:

When you get a chance it would be good to develop your personal information "signature block" to appear at the bottom of your posts.  When the forum knows your type of motorhome, engine, chassis, tow vehicle, etc. the many knowledgeable members of the forum can provide quick, superb help.  Forum members have helped me on more than one occasion to solve a issue I had or simply help me climb the motorhome ownership learning curve.

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.5f3137f3eb381f9cc587cb4976260266.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manholt   

Yea, all 700+/- miles of Gulf Coast in Texas...personally, the water is a lot clearer in Alabama Shores to Marcos Island, FL.  Also, the key's is all part of the Gulf of Mexico! 

Hope she and I will have good weather in England...I'll be in Norway and Sweden, the last 2 weeks in July! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 4:48 PM, fagnaml said:

Nice looking Astoria!  There are not a lot of Damon motorhome owners that I've found on the FMCA forums.  What is the year and model of your Astoria?   My Astoria (2007 model 3774 shown below) has been great as a family toy for LSU football weekends and my wife's and my occasional weekend escape from our busy careers and crazy Houston.  Perhaps we should start our own two person Damon Astoria page on the forum ! :lol:

When you get a chance it would be good to develop your personal information "signature block" to appear at the bottom of your posts.  When the forum knows your type of motorhome, engine, chassis, tow vehicle, etc. the many knowledgeable members of the forum can provide quick, superb help.  Forum members have helped me on more than one occasion to solve a issue I had or simply help me climb the motorhome ownership learning curve.

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.5f3137f3eb381f9cc587cb4976260266.JPG

It's a 2011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update. We 86'ed our plans to go to the New England states in the fall. We are getting a few things in order and then about the last week of Sept, we are heading to SD via St Louis, MO. Was going to head west on 80 but I'm going to avoid the Chicago area. That stretch from Gary IN to Joliet IL is a nightmare on it's best day. So, since Sweetie Pie has never seen the arch, we will drop south, check it out then on to SD for residency. Then it's west to OR, south through CA and back east at Bakersfield to Pahrump, NV. Scheduled to be there Dec 1st till June. After that we will be working our way up through CO and planning on being in Gillette WY for the convention. If you think our paths will cross, send a shoutout and let's meet. Safe journey and as always, stay sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now