Have you run the system test?
Chapter 5 -
Help & Troubleshooting
The System Test allows you to run a basic diagnostics check on your DIRECTV Receiver. If you are experiencing any trouble with your
receiver, run the system test. It will also allow you to get your access card and receiver ID numbers or to initiate diagnostic procedures on
your digital satellite receiver.
First make sure that:
1. All connections -- jacks, cables, etc. -- are in place correctly. See Chapter 4, “Connections for TV and Auxiliary Equipment” for more
2. There are batteries in the remote control, and they are working correctly.
3. The access card is inserted in the DIRECTV Receiver.
Follow these steps to run the diagnostics system test on your DIRECTV Receiver:
1. Turn on your TV and the DIRECTV Receiver.
2. Slide the mode switch to the DIRECTV position to put the remote control in satellite receiver-controlling mode, then press MENU.
3. Select “Parental, Fav’s & Setup.”
4. Select “System Setup,” then “Info & Test.”
5. Select “Run System Test”. For Standard-Definition receivers, press GREEN on your remote, then select “Run Test”.
6. If your system does not pass the System Test, check any of these potential trouble areas: cabling, pointing the satellite dish, phone
connection and access card.
7. If you continue to have problems, call DIRECTV Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000.
8. You should run a system test several times before concluding that there is a problem. Occasional fluctuations in the phone line or
satellite signal can give temporary false reading