Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Chassis Batteries Not Charging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geraldlanc

geraldlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

I have a Prosine 2500 inverter/charger in my motorhome.  When connected to shore power, the house batteries charge, but the chassis batteries do not.  The motor does charge the chassis batteries. 

I have read and reread the manual, but have no clue what to do.  Can someone help? 

Even thinking about electrical issues makes my head hurt.

Gerald

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Gerald,

Many coaches are not wired for the inverter/charger or converter to charge the chassis batteries.

So, first thing is to contact your coach manufacturer to see whether yours is wired to charge only house or both house and chassis.

There are a number of ways to maintain the chassis battery if your is not wired to charge the chassis battery. 

Here is what I use: http://batteryminder...desfulator-1500

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 John_Harris

John_Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

My 07 HR Endeavor did not come with the ability to charge chassis batteries even though dealer lead me to believe it did. I too went with battery minder product and connected it to outlet on one of the storage bays just in front of the battery bay. Works great and have never been without full charge as coach stays connected to shore power in garage when not on the road. A quick disconnect of the chord in the battery bay and we are off. When dry camping, be sure and also unplug the "charger" from the outlet in the storage bay as it will create a pretty good parasitic load even with it not connected to chassis batteries.
John & Cathyrn Harris
2007 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

#4 ticat900

ticat900

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Like the last two replies.Get a battery minder type product. Costco has a real good battery minder  unit on sale for $44.95. Just be aware this is not a charger and if your battery got real low you have to use a normal charger to charge before the Battery minder works.

#5 Onaquest

Onaquest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Why did no one here even bother to ask the OP what kind of motorhome he has?  With that information, we could determine if it was equipped to charge the chassis batteries, and thus just failing, or if it was not so equipped.

#6 bizsmith@yahoo.com

bizsmith@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

I installed a trickle charger at the crossover for emergency start from house batteries . Works very well with no additional battery minder to hook up.

#7 geraldlanc

geraldlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

The motorhome is a 2002 Beaver Marquis.

Gerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users